FlyNet Perspective

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

carthorse
Ticket Agent

FlyNet Perspective

Post by carthorse » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:32 am

I had a crash on my 3rd flight of my flynet experience. Since then i have worked hard to get my reputation as high as i could.

Now after 79 flying hours, i have two crashes in the same day (autopilot went crazy, then i went crazy). This was unfortunate, but not as unfortunate as my reputation actually diving to "1".

So basically, my flynet motivation is also temporarily at a "1".
How many others have had to scrap their airlines and start over. Is this the intent of the game model?
Was FlyNet designed with this level of difficulty in mind? Or am i just a lousy flight simmer?

To be clear, i do not regret using FlyNet. I find it very fun and addictive. I'm just struggling with my losses.
I'm trying to see if i'm missing an education, or if i can be constructive in anyway.

avalonceo
Flight Attendant

Post by avalonceo » Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:31 am

Im really sorry to hear about your horrible luck! it happens to the best of us, i consider myself a good simmer, and yet my first flight with FLYNET i made a crucial error(bad fuel planning) ! I took it as a learning experience, dusted myself off, and restarted my airline. But now all is going well, when you make a mistake it makes you more cautious in the virtual cockpit. Best of luck to you, i hope this doesn't keep you down!

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Re: FlyNet Perspective

Post by cmdrnmartin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:49 pm

Flynet doesn't really have a very big difficulty.

If you put enough fuel in your plane, don't crash it, you'll make money gradually.

Pilot ratings (your percentage) don't count for anything other than ego stroking. I'm not concerned about the fact I don't have a 100% rating, I make mistakes, especially when I skip a checklist since I 'Know' it.

Your quality as a simmer is for you to determine, not others to decide. FlyNet is designed to give a purpose, a sense of accomplishment, to flying flights on Flight Simulator. I feel it does that quite well. I never crashed a plane, but I built my company up from nothing (well 25 million) to what it is today, under the same rules and restrictions that everyone else has. The vast majority of operational airlines on Flynet attest to the fact that success is entirely possible, and even someone like Pete999 can run a profitable endeavour. That alone makes me feel Flynet is simple and accessible!

Cheers,

carthorse
Ticket Agent

Post by carthorse » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:58 pm

Thanks for the views,

I wasn't actually talking about pilot ratings, rather Airline Reputation. The fact that an honest mistake can set your reputation back so far that your airline can't make money anymore. I believe this to be realistic, however, since one crash in the rw can definately take your small airline out of business after a lawsuit.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:03 pm

This is a bit scary, that one pilot in such a short time can ruin an airline. In this case it was by the airlines CEO but imagine a pilot who joins an airline and either intentionally or because they don't know what they are doing, has a series of crashes before the CEO notices. And before you say nobody will ever do that, hopefully everyone remembers the hacker attack we had a few months ago.

This helps make the case that we need some form of automatic suspension of a non CEO pilot after a crash.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:38 pm

joefremont wrote:This is a bit scary, that one pilot in such a short time can ruin an airline. In this case it was by the airlines CEO but imagine a pilot who joins an airline and either intentionally or because they don't know what they are doing, has a series of crashes before the CEO notices. And before you say nobody will ever do that, hopefully everyone remembers the hacker attack we had a few months ago.

This helps make the case that we need some form of automatic suspension of a non CEO pilot after a crash.
We do have Training Flights to prevent this, it is a CEOs discretion to allow someone to fly for them. Remember no one can fly unless you give them the type ratings. And malicious attacks result in a banning, with proper restitution payed to the airline, if proof of malicious behaviour is provided.

carthorse
Ticket Agent

Update

Post by carthorse » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:29 am

Here is an update on my situation.

I have been working all day on getting my reputation back up, as it sounds as if i should beable to have a professional airline that maintains it's reputation...since so many others are doing it.

1. I bought a c172 and decided to make several 5nm flights.
2. after about 45 perfect flights, i was up to a rating of 45
3. all of a sudden, my rating started going down.
- After an engine failure (successful landing) and a cancellation, it dropped to 39
4. So i bought another c172 and made a perfect flight.
- My rating dropped to 34
5. Another perfect flight
- My rating dropped to 25

Why is my rating dropping even though i am given no reason for it, and i provided the passenger with a safe ride?

thanks

ivanT3

Post by ivanT3 » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:49 am

Hi all,

New here. Nice place!!

For what it's worth, I spent a bunch of time in the Trident before I joined CBFS. I made sure I could fly the plane pretty well. I did basic air work for the most part but also did Go 'Round's, powered and none powered stall recoveries, I practiced nailing airspeed's and altitudes, climbing and descending turns onto headings, I figured out flap/trim/speed settings, how to do Cross wind landings and all that stuff. It really helped and I feel comfy in the jet... Just work on the basics a lot .

Now, I'm working toward the HS-748 Type Rating. A GREAT plane to fly but a lot to learn as it flys much differently than the Trident.

Sure is fun....

Ivan.........................