Cargo question

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Marc Joy

Cargo question

Post by Marc Joy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:03 pm

As we cannot change the cargo load, does it work the same way as pax ? If we raise price ticket, does it make the cargo load go down ?

Just to know if I can adjust my fuel load that way...

Thanks

Marc

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:20 pm

Not really, cargo on board is not somehow connected to the ticket price. The fare paid is calculated based on distance and amount. As for the amount which will be loaded on your aircraft is equal to the aircraft's cargo capacity. Well, maybe I am missing a few details but this is the overall idea.
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

Marc Joy

Post by Marc Joy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:18 pm

I also thought it was like that but was hoping for it to work... :cry:

I'll have to manage a differance between our official VA site and flynet

Marc

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:06 pm

This is a subject I have asked about before but never got a good answer. Just looking at flights from my airline between the same two cities (KSFO and KLAX) the cargo rate fluctuates between 0.38 and 1.11 with all flights having the same ticket price, the price does seam consistent within each aircraft type.

The same aircraft that gets 0.38 between KSFO and KLAX (the L1011) gets 0.10 between KSFO and PHNL.

So the question remains, how does flynet actually calculate the cargo rate?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:03 pm

Hi Joe,

I'm pretty sure there's a capacity factor in the calc somewhere so for a larger capacity aircraft the rate is less but revenue is compensated by the volume that is able to be carried. The bigger the aircraft (kg capacity wise) the cheaper the rate per kg/mile. Don't forget for combi aircraft, 25kg per pax is deducted from cargo capacity to allow for pax baggage

Rgds

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:43 pm

John, yes it does look like the cargo capacity is a factor, along with distance and ticket price but the actual way its calculated is still a bit of a mystery. With passangers we have a pretty good idea how much revenue a flight will generate, but cargo it's not very predictable.

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:43 pm

Well, it's like Quantum said. The more you carry the less you get per kg and the farther you fly the less you get per kg. The rest is mystery ;) Wouldn't it be boring if you knew exactly how it is calculated ?
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:18 pm

:( How can you run a business with so much uncertainty. Oh well, I will just have to live with that answer for now, thanks Konny.

Marc Joy

Post by Marc Joy » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:51 pm

Yep I think so, but my first question was more about how to complete certain flights...
As I already told you Konny, I had the answer about pax und fuel balance...

But as I can't influance cargo load, there I'm stucked... The problem is coexisting with a "real" virtual airline with flightplan that already exist. And ability to complete those flights to report pireps in VA that are the same as here.

So finally is there a chance to influance cargo load in anyway for cargo planes ? (as finally it's my problem with cargo planes with no pax to influance to lighten aircraft.)

Thanks

Marc

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:51 am

I would say, it is ok not knowing the exact formula as long as long as we know teh factors and the same holds true for the passengers satisfaction as well. I mean if we run an airline in real world we still have uncertainty but we can predict passengers reaction, or customers reaction in case of cargo, knowing, more or less, how real people would think (factors) but an exact formula would make things too unrealistic and yes... boring as Konny said.

So, here comes my question, hijacking a bit the subject to the direction of passengers. Let's say that we have price X in all our flights, short and long ones and everyone is happy boarding our aircrafts up to the max. If we raise the ticket of a 0 hours flight by, let's say 15 dollars, making it 615 from 600, I would expect not a dramatic reaction and most passengers would not have a problem. What would happen if I raised by 15 dollars a short flight making it from 40 to 55? In real life I would expect my aircraft be dramatically less crowded than in the long flight. Does FlyNET work like real life in this case?

Again, sorry for the hijacking.
CEO
Ionathan Airlines