FSA Client and X-Plane 11/FSX-SE

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

FSA Client and X-Plane 11/FSX-SE

Post by flugkapitan » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:45 pm

Hi,

I have what is probably a silly question.

I have FSX-SE along with the Beta Client installed on my computer and have been using it almost every day until mid November when the Windows 10 "Fall Creator's" update made FSX and Prepar3d unplayable for some users. Hopefully Microsoft will be out with a fix for it soon.

Yesterday I purchased and installed X-Plane 11 and am starting to learn the ropes of it. My question is this: do I need a separate install of the Client for X-Plane or will the Client I currently have installed detect which sim I'm running (FSX-SE or X-Plane 11)?

Thanks,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: FSA Client and X-Plane 11/FSX-SE

Post by joefremont » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:05 am

Best thing to do with x-plane is get yourself XPUIPC and install that. We have had some problems with the x-plane plug in so I don't recommend it right now.

See if you can find 2.0.4.7 or later of XPUIPC and use our beta client 2.2.0.rc1

You do not need a separate client.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Post by flugkapitan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:35 pm

Thanks Joe,

Yesterday I downloaded XPUIPC 2.0.4.8. Will probably get it installed later today.

I believe the Client you mentioned is the one I'm using.

Unfortunately, I don't have any choice at this time other than to use X-Plane 11 (which I'm really liking) since FSX-SE is still having issues for some users, of which I am one.

Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:09 pm

Have you tried P3D? I have been using V4 for about 6 months now and am very impressed, very stable, good performance and for the most part I don't have to walk away from my favorite aircraft and scenery, plus I did not have to learn a whole new keyboard layout. It a very good upgrade over FSX

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Post by flugkapitan » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:54 pm

Hi Joe,

No, I haven't tried P3Dv4 yet. Some users were reporting the same problems after the Windows update as were the FSX users. Decided to try something completely different. However, having said that, I do plan on some point in time in giving it a try. Have a new 500 GB SSD devoted to X-Plane 11 (and P3Dv4 in the future).

I know what you mean: learning new keyboard assignments after decades of MS Flight Simulator is a real challenge...and a pain in the ass :x

Well, booked my first FSA flight in X-Plane for tonight. Don't be surprised if I ask for the flight to be reviewed :lol:

Cheers,
Scott

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:43 am

At some point I really do have to sit down and try to do some flights with X-Plane. I have gotten every version since 9 but rarely do much with them, its usually the keyboard interface that gets me first, or its navigation. I know its a crutch but that popup GPS you can install in any aircraft is very helpful in the MS derived sims.

Most of the time I just run it long enough to satisfy myself the client is working with it.

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Post by flugkapitan » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:14 am

Hi Joe,

Personally, in the short time that I've been using X-Plane 11, overall, I like it. Performance on my gaming rig is very good. The default aircraft are for the most part OK (the freeware B738 mod by ZIBO is awesome!) The terrain and airports are so much advanced from FSX-SE. The interface is great also, a person has the options of configuring/displaying things so much more that FSX-XE

I have purchased a couple of payware aircraft for XP, one of which, the JSF B737-200, which I just "flew" this evening (in external views, the cockpit is empty - really?) Also of that aircraft the A/P is nothing like the Captain Sim version of the 732 that I'm used to in terms of use: the switches, etc..are the same but the A/P is a struggle, have a Hell of a time getting it to hold a pitch attitude...However, the details and how one can move about the cockpit are amazing compared to FSX-SE. Airport-wise, they are modeled much more correctly, even my hometown regional aerodrome, KJMS.

FYI: The default B738 empty cockpit when in external views was fixed by the Zibo mod along with a host of other things for that particular aircraft.

Learning curve, I guess...

Downsides: ATC sucks, ...and I mean ROYALLY (people thought the default MS FSX sucked, Hell, that is perfect compared to XP). The XP wx engine is OK, but nothing compared to Activesky , or any of the other payware WX engines out there. However, ActiveSky is working on making their wx engine compatible with XP. Can't wait for that.

For those of us FSX users who were impacted by the Windows "Fall Creators" update, fix for that is scheduled for Tues, Dec 12th, from what I've seen in a couple of forums.

Cheers,
Scott