Yet another Landing Light Subject.

Please report Bugs and Problems here
Skids
Ticket Agent

Yet another Landing Light Subject.

Post by Skids » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:55 am

Greetings all,

Ok OK I know the deal with landing lights on below 1000 and off above 10,000. And I am aware of terrain altitudes and was under the impression that issue was sorted, however is there a way of solving the following.

In my "private" BE58 recently purchased I would presume I have a right to fly where I choose and what altitude I choose providing it is agreed to under FSX ATC and filed.

In the process of moving my aircraft from where it was purchased to a location of my choice, a filed plan with FSAirlines from LOWI to LJLJ had me over undulating high Terrain. Along the flight at FL120and give or take 5000ft AGL if that, due to terrain I hear this horrible "ding" and see I have been penalised for LL over 10000.

Ok other than Landing lights off, landing lights on, landing lights off, landing lights on as the terrain altitude rises and falls, is there any other way of dealing with this?

Upon exiting the client with the penalty, I see that in the actual result in my profile it states " a perfect flight %100"

Or are the private aircraft not under the same regulations as VA company flights?

Maybe I have just missed something in the WIKI or other place in the forum.

Keep up the great work guys

Paul S

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Yet another Landing Light Subject.

Post by Konny » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Hm, actually the private flights should be under the same regulations as VA flights, but I will check that.

I also see the problem when doing VFR flights in the LOWI area. There you shouldn't be forced to turn your landing lights on and off depending on your current altitude, as they're just needed for takeoff and landing. Will think of a solution for that.
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:41 pm

Konny,

As a suggestion, I would say that a temporary fix would be to not trigger the penalty if the aircraft is <4000 AGL and is in cruise.

-Matt
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:03 pm

Good idea Matt, maybe we could also include the distance to the departure and arrival airports to our calculation and only activate the penalty within a specific range.
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

alasizon

Post by alasizon » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:02 am

Konny,

Another idea, which came up on another project I am working on, depending on how the client is coded, it could also be done where specific geo-ranges (i.e from 118.7 to 118.9 E from 32.5 to 32.61 N) do not apply for the 1000 AGL lights off penalty.

Although, I think that my original suggestion would be a lot easier and a lot more realistic. Likewise, it is more adaptable and deals well with the poor ATC for some areas in FSX (and 2004) such as ATC directing my Q400 into the middle of Mount Saint Helens to line up for SEA...

-Matt
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

FR1257
Ticket Agent

Post by FR1257 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:13 pm

I have been flying around the USA over the last few months. Lately, one of my tasks took me to KJAC in the mountains. I decided to fly a C206 from KJAC to K46U-ID72-KU59-KJAC. These airports are at 5000ft+ amsl and you have to travel over higher mountains to reach the next waypoint. I found that if I turned off the landing lights below 10000 amsl but then came within 1000ft of terrain the penalty was awarded. I therefore tried leaving the lights on above 10000 amsl, but still far below 10000 above terrain, but the penalty was awarded. :cry:

I don't know the solution because I don't know the parameters required in the software. However, what if the altitude was somehow connected to the height above terrain. Something like, if the altitude minus the height above terrain is less than a given number, then no penalty.

eg Flight at 11000 amsl, but 990 above terrain= 10010, or
Flight at 9000 amsl, but 990 above terrain=8010 No penalty.

Alternatively, could the height parameter be say 50 feet instead of 1000 agl. What happens at Quito which is 9228ft amsl? There are only 771feet to play with. :)
This is clearly only a problem in mountainous areas and I fear a far greater brain than mine will need to intervene.

Keep up the good work.

alasizon

Post by alasizon » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:52 am

The penalty for on above 10000ft is set so that if you are within 3000 AGL, you are not penalized. So therefore, at Quito, you do have some breathing room.

In regards to the C206 flight you referenced, I think the best option there is flying at a cruise altitude of 12000 feet because based on the route (and my knowledge of the surrounding terrain), the terrain at its highest is ~8500 feet (give or take a few hundred) and so therefore, 12000 would keep you well out of the <1000 penalty and since you are already over 10000, your landing lights should be off.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin