flight time calculation

General discussions related to our Virtual Airlines

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

edwinb77
Flight Attendant

flight time calculation

Post by edwinb77 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi,

Does anyone have a nice program or good tip where you can calculate the flight time which gives a more realistic detail about departure time and arrival time? Complete with timezones etc.

I have downloaded FS Flight Calculator and installed it but it needs Ttools which i cannot get working with FSX. Flight Calculator requires an airport.txt and aircraft.txt file to work and that is created by ttools.

If not, is it possible that someone can provide me above files?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Edwin
Image Image

Ionathan
Captain

Re: flight time calculation

Post by Ionathan » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:54 am

If you just want the flight time, this site is what you are looking for. You only need to know airport ICAO codes and you aircraft's speed.
http://www.airrouting.com/content/TimeDistanceForm.aspx
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

edwinb77
Flight Attendant

Post by edwinb77 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:53 am

thanks for reply :)

that one i am already using to measure it a little, but would be nice if you can enter a departure time and then it should calculate your arrival time, taken notice of the timezones.

For example, EHAM take off 9:30 to EGLL arrival 9:45 (going from GMT+1 to GMT)

If that website is to be found, you can be very precise in your flight departures and arrivals.
Image Image

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:40 pm

All times on FSAirlines should be in GMT, not local. All of our statistics and the integration pack assume that you're using GMT to define your flight times. If you don't, then the integration pack and performance statistics (on time, etc) will be incorrect.

Also, high on the list is a new evolution to the flight planning for the website so that when you go to put a route in you select what aircraft will fly the flight and it will automatically plan your flight time with a built-in buffer to account for taxi-out, departure, climb, landing, and taxi-in (typically adds about 25 minutes to the flight time). Hopefully they'll get it put up sooner rather than later.

edwinb77
Flight Attendant

Post by edwinb77 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:25 pm

that would be a nice addition cap :)

thanks for the update.
Image Image

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:50 am

So, if the online flightplaning does those calculations, how will the batch upload work? I mean if I create the .txt file and upload it, will the system accept it as it is or expand the flight times?
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

PCD001
Flight Attendant

Post by PCD001 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:03 am

CAPFlyer wrote:All times on FSAirlines should be in GMT, not local. All of our statistics and the integration pack assume that you're using GMT to define your flight times. If you don't, then the integration pack and performance statistics (on time, etc) will be incorrect.

Also, high on the list is a new evolution to the flight planning for the website so that when you go to put a route in you select what aircraft will fly the flight and it will automatically plan your flight time with a built-in buffer to account for taxi-out, departure, climb, landing, and taxi-in (typically adds about 25 minutes to the flight time). Hopefully they'll get it put up sooner rather than later.
I hope, that if this feature is ever implemented, it can be turned OFF if not required.
Half the fun in FSA VA management is flight planning.
How will it differentiate between different DP's/STAR's/SID's, some take longer to get to Cruise/decend than others. How will it take into account flight times of less than 25 minutes ? How will it take into account Jet Streams such as those found across the North Atlantic, where Atlantic crossings are quicker West to East with the winds, than East to West against the winds, where flight times can vary by as much as one hour? Do we not have the option to set our own cruise speeds ? Must it be the official FSA speed ?

If you're any sort of a Virtual Airline Manger you should be able to calculate a rough flight time, there are enough planners out there on the web without even having to use Flight Simulator.
Bob
----
The "New" Cheap Fuel Operator . & . 'T' Tail Fan !!

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:24 pm

To say the truth, I don't like the suggested new feature adding 25 minutes to each flight because I already take that into consideration, plus the arcraft's preparation time as interval between consequent flights. That new feature would remove some flightplanning activity making it autimatic and I would also have to recreate my whole flightplan anyway. I too support the idea to keep it optional.
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:45 pm

First, I didn't say 25 minutes as a firm number. Please re-read my post.

Second, I didn't say that it would be the only option or that you wouldn't be able to override it.

Please guys, use a bit of common sense before assuming things that aren't in writing.

PCD001
Flight Attendant

Post by PCD001 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:49 pm

Chris,
You wrote
(typically adds about 25 minutes to the flight time)
Without wanting to be too verbose I just used that as a "for instance", my comment would be the same if it was 35 minutes or 15 minutes.
Second, I didn't say that it would be the only option or that you wouldn't be able to override it.
To use your analogy above, you didn't say it wouldn't be either.

Sorry for our lack of common sense.
Bob
----
The "New" Cheap Fuel Operator . & . 'T' Tail Fan !!