Cargo Flights

General AVIATION RELATED chatter

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

SJDobby
Ticket Agent

Cargo Flights

Post by SJDobby » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:40 am

Hi everybody

Sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find it on the forums, so here goes....

Can someone please detail how the income works for cargo-only flights? The following is what I can fathom from analysing a few of our cargo flights:

1) The ticket price has no effect on cargo (as ticket price only applies to passengers)
2) The amount of cargo tends to be ROUGHLY the full cargo capacity of the plane (in examples I have looked at)
3) The cargo income is quoted "per 100nm" (and multiplied by the cargo-weight) and varies depending on the distance - the longer the flight, the smaller the income "per 100nm" (can someone detail exactly where the income bands lie, please).

Are there any elements to the calculation that I have missed out? (e.g. VA reputation factor?, any sort of "random"/probability factor?)

Based on the above, it would appear that there is nothing a VA can do to influence the income received from a cargo flight (other than of course varying the aircraft type to one with more/less cargo capacity).

At UKDirect we are in the process of setting up some new cargo routes, and as well as considering the fuel cost at airports we would like to know what else we might need to consider that could adversely or positively affect the income from potential routes.

Thanks.

Simon
FSA Director, UK Direct Airways
http://www.planecrazy.me.uk/UKD/

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Re: Cargo Flights

Post by Quantum » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi,

There are no cargo rates published and they are fixed for all VA's. It is a combination of cargo capacity vs distance. Smaller cargo capacity aircraft will get a higher rate than a 'bulk carrier'. All cargo revenues decrease slowly as flight distance increases. I have noticed that kg for kg cargo will generate more revenue than pax so you should have no worries regards income.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage