double engine failure

Please report Bugs and Problems here
ALT2024
Flight Attendant

double engine failure

Post by ALT2024 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:23 am

Just tried three times to fly VTBS-VTUD; each time two engines out of three failed on initial climb. If this is part of the built-in failures, it's not realistic to have two engines fail at once as it makes the aircraft immediately unflyable. The aircraft I'm flying is the Maltby Trident. Could this be a client bug?
Rob ALT2024/FRA101

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: double engine failure

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:49 pm

Sounds like you failed to engage the Top Temp switches and overheated. This will cause the engines to fail every time.

You need to ensure the Top Temp switches are on and you've clicked on one of the Thrust Index gauges to set it so that you can ensure you're not asking for more than 100% thrust.

ALT2024
Flight Attendant

Post by ALT2024 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Hi Christopher. Thanks for deleting the multiple posts I unwittingly made yesterday; I couldn't get back into the forum to delete them although I could view them. Things seem to be working better today on the posting front.

Re. the engines, I always click on the thrust limiter gauges and take off with the needles at 12 o'clock. 90 seconds after brakes off I retard the throttles and retract flaps. I've never had any problem with this aircraft before, either with or without the FS Airlines client. After three tries with the client, all of which resulted in engines 2 and 3 failing on initial climb, I tried the flight without the client (everything else identical) and had no problem at all.

I've never used the top temperature switches; don't even know where they are. On the overhead? I'll look them up on the Maltby site.

edit: you've got me beaten here. Just been all through the manual and can't find the top temp switches. Please can you give me a clue?
Rob ALT2024/FRA101

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:39 am

On the Engine Start panel there are 3 switches on the far right of the panel that say "Temp Ovrd" or something close to that. Those switches should be UP to control the temperature of the engine and prevent an overtemp.

The Client should not be the source of the issue as it does not fail more than 1 engine at a time and more importantly it doesn't do it more than once.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:16 am

i dont know about the very last part, i had a pilot(ok the only other pilot besides me :lol: ) say that when flying the 777 that he keeps having problems with the avonics and has to return to the airport... but i dont know how accurate that is i messaged him to join the forum and post it but he never did... the plane was only at 97% so i dont know why that would be happening or even if avonics failure is a failure here... oh well his problem if he doesnt want any help...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

ALT2024
Flight Attendant

Post by ALT2024 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:33 am

CAPFlyer wrote:On the Engine Start panel there are 3 switches on the far right of the panel that say "Temp Ovrd" or something close to that. Those switches should be UP to control the temperature of the engine and prevent an overtemp.
Still can't see 'em... here's the Starter image from the manual. Am I looking at the right panel?

Rob ALT2024/FRA101

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:44 am

Hi,

In the 2D cockpit if you bring up the starter panel, there is a small subpanel to the right of it with the top temp switches. In the VC it is to the right of the power levers and in front of the spoiler lever. Also ensure you have engine anti-icing selected as appropriate to prevailing conditions.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

ALT2024
Flight Attendant

Post by ALT2024 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:49 pm

Thanks John, and thanks again Christopher. Found the switches now. They're really obvious when you know where to look. :oops: In the VC the switches are masked by the slat lever with the slats up but in the 2D start panel they are very visible indeed. Looks like my engine-failure flights were pilot error after all. :oops:

I posted my last message from work where I didn't have a FS enabled PC. Airborne now with the client running and no engine failure yet :D

Cheers
Rob ALT2024/FRA101

Jos Gielen
Ticket Agent

Post by Jos Gielen » Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:45 pm

Since we're talking about failures here, I'll ad to this thread.
I would like to simulate an engine failure on flynet with the beechcraft 1900D. Since it's status doesn't go down fast, I've flown a few flights after which it's status didn't drop at all, my question is: is there a way to abuse an engine so it will fail in flight?
I'm using the PMDG rendition of the plane!

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi,

Currently, FSA does not monitor your engine management. Some sim aircraft have parameters built in by the developer which will cause failures. You will have to check the documentation that you have for your sim aircraft to see if they have this feature.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:39 pm

im gonna go a little bit off topic, but reading the engine status reminded me. everyone was saying a few weeks ago about how engine 1 was taking wear but engine 2 wasnt. Where do you see individual engines? i have yet to find them...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

hezza
Captain

Post by hezza » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:04 pm

One way is by using the VA integration. Not sure if its the only way though.

G