Initial Views

Please report Bugs and Problems here
caribbeancruzer

Initial Views

Post by caribbeancruzer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:48 pm

As a new user to FSAirlines I thought I would share my initial brief views.

1. Username box will not accept more than 13 char. this seems to be a known issue searching the forums.
2. The client does not see to recognize your booked flights if you have the client open during the time of booking. While this is not a big deal, it is just an annoyance to have to book then open. It would be nice to have an option to have a button in the client to retrieve Flight if the client was already open. This may even eliminate the need to close the client between flights.
3. The website seems to load pages a little slow, maybe it is because you don’t see a progress bar after you click a link, and this might help give a sense of something happening.
4. When loading the logon page, if you start typing in your details before the page loads, it refreshes and requires complete details again.
5. Using V1.6 client, the status only reflects Takeoff once airborne, it would be nice to see "Cruise" or some other stat to show the client is still collecting data. I had two flights now where it started recording data but somewhere midflight it stopped. This happened on 3+hour flights, could be frustrating for some.
6. Once logged onto the website, there is no flight monitor. I see when you go to the site but, once you logon the link is gone.
7. When creating routes, it would be nice to have an option for the system to create a return trip if you want. This is more of a time issue if you were setting up a lot of flights and know there will be return trips.

FSAirlines is a great idea and will have a great future; I look forward to seeing what evolves from it. If any more info is needed on the above items let me know. I don’t want it give my opinions of how things could look if they already exist or under development.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Initial Views

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:23 am

1 - Being dealt with. See "Known Problems..." thread.
2 - Being dealt with
3 - Might want to check your connection routing. The FSAirlines website is hosted in the US and can sometimes have slow load times depending on the routing (due to internet connection in those areas).
4 - That's standard for filling out fields. This should not be changed to help with security.
5 - Again, something being worked on. This is also addressed in the "Known Problems..." thread.
6 - That's the case from the current site and we've not had any complaints.
7 - Not feasible primarily because of the complexity required to program this. How is the system supposed to know when you want the return flight to depart? How does it account for prevailing winds that may affect the "typical" flight time on longer flights? This is what the flightplan import/export is for. You can create all of your flights in Microsoft Excel, Works, or any other spreadsheet program you like, save it as a Comma Delimited TXT file (simply done in Excel by selecting "CSV format" as the file type when saving the file and ending the filename in ".txt") using the tutorial provided in the "Tips and Hints" section and upload your flightplans together. This allows you to manage your flights offline and not be at the mercy of any hiccups in the internet that may occur.

caribbeancruzer

Post by caribbeancruzer » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:52 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have been looking through these other posts to get a better understanding. Honestly at first it was a bit confusing as it appeared there was two diffrent systems. SO not knowing what system the documentation was for caused this. Great job to all involved in building this system, it really expands on the FS experienece.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:43 pm

Well, there are two separate systems, FlyNET and FSAirlines. However, FSAirlines is simply an outgrowth of FlyNET. Basically FlyNET was the first version of the software and from the lessons we've learned from it, we're able to move to FSAirlines and go forward into better things. As FSAirlines is still in ALPHA, there are some issues that have to be resolved, but we're hoping to get those done soon and move into public BETA and go live with it so we can hopefully move from this long BETA phase we've been having and into "production" operation.