Concerning the google ads...

Chat about anything here

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Concerning the google ads...

Post by Miikoyan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:43 am

Hey'all

About the google ads...does it have to fall through in order to be paid? What I mean is that does the intended website have to be shown in order for you guys to be paid? I just clicked ten times in rapid succession...and I don't know if that works or not.

I know its unethical..but it's my right you know.
GoUS Executive Chairman
World Alliance Board of Directors

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Post by Myrm » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:46 am

I wish they weren't there. I think it spoils the look of the site :(
Myrm

"Glöm inte vår Tobias" (In memory of Tobias Enroth 1999-2007)

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:43 pm

You want to pay the hosting costs then Myrm?

If the Google ads are the same as they've been, it's per hit (i.e. if you click one of the links it'll pay the hosting site for the hit).

One thing to remember with Google Ads is that it will only produce aviation-related and Flight Sim-related ads, so at least what we see won't bee totally off-the-wall stuff like with some others.

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Post by Myrm » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:50 pm

CAPFlyer wrote:You want to pay the hosting costs then Myrm?
I can't as I am not a Moderator with that authorisation. I currently pay for a forum of which I am deputy admin which uses Google ads (I think it costs $7 per 50,000 hits), which, if paid, removes the ads; so I guess the FlyNET one works in the same way?
Myrm

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:12 pm

You've got it backwards.

The Google Ads pay Konny and DaKurt to support the hosting of this forum and this network on the servers we use. I don't know (or care) how much it costs to advertise. Those advertisements help keep this network on good servers because it helps Konny and DaKurt put less money out of their pocket and allows us to not have to help them support it via membership fees. It also means that donations go towards other things like expansion and purchasing scripting and software for the server to make FlyNET better.

My point was that if you so dislike the ads, then step up and make a donation to Konny and DaKurt to cover the cost of the servers. It really grates me the wrong way for people to complain about things like ads because they "are annoying", "look bad", or whatever. Those ads help offset the cost of providing this network to you for FREE. In other words - get over it and be thankful that they're providing this to you for free and not demanding membership fees or "mandatory" donations.

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Post by Miikoyan » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:53 pm

Good hosting costs around 300-500 dollars a year now...
and Google pays around 5-10 cents per hit..

so if I do the math correctly, then I have to hit around 2 000 to 3 333.33333 a year...

Let's support them guys!!!
GoUS Executive Chairman

Myrm
Flight Attendant

Post by Myrm » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:41 am

CAPFlyer wrote:... In other words - get over it and be thankful that they're providing this to you for free and not demanding membership fees or "mandatory" donations.
CAPFlyer, there is no need for you to be so hostile; I was simply stating that I didn't like seeing the adverts, I wasn't saying anything against the Client, Konny or anybody else. I am sorry for having my own opinion. :cry:
Myrm

DaKurt
FSAirlines Developer

Post by DaKurt » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:07 pm

hi all,

first of all, we know that you do NOT add ads to your homepage to make it more beautiful :P. That's why we decided to put them on the login page, which you might only see 2 or 3 times a day and not on the main site or into the crew center ... those ads help us paying our server.

Thanks for your understanding and support
DaKurt

P.S.: clicking on the same ad often in only a short period by 1 person seems to be only count as 1 click by google ... so it's better not to do so. ;)
Claudio - FSAirlines Programming

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Post by Miikoyan » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:28 pm

what? Oh......hundred clicks wasted.
GoUS Executive Chairman