Ernie

Chat about anything here

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Ernie

Post by IslandBum » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:11 am

Are you ok down there in Socal????

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC

Ernie
Ticket Agent

Post by Ernie » Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:16 pm

Yes I am, thanks for asking. There was a lot of stuff going on due to the fires but it never reached the "heart" of San Diego. I'm proud of how we all responded as a community. :D

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Post by IslandBum » Tue Oct 30, 2007 10:10 pm

My Wife and I lived in La Mesa and I was amazed to see just how close it came.

Everybody in San Diego did great - real proud of you all. :)

Didnt manage to get to see the great Orange beast dropping loads did you???

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Venture Hawaii PLC

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Post by Miikoyan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:27 am

One of my cousin's vacation down to San Diego Zoo with his family got ruined because of this fire....
I personally was flying CL215 (i think) from LAX and dropping water on the fire areas with friends of mine online...
lol anyways good to hear that you are okay m8.

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:48 am

Ah fires... really sad thing to see the environment and people destroyed by them. We had serious problems with fires in Greece last August. A huge part of southern Greece (Pelloponisus) forests destoyed along with many villages and unfortunately 68 people died. It's really sad.
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:20 pm

Ionathan wrote:Ah fires... really sad thing to see the environment and people destroyed by them. We had serious problems with fires in Greece last August. A huge part of southern Greece (Pelloponisus) forests destoyed along with many villages and unfortunately 68 people died. It's really sad.
ya i remember hearing about that...

i dont get how people can be so ignorant towards nature and people by setting these fires on purpose. its really sad that they think its alright to do it. I dont know how they could live with themselves after knowing that they have cause 10's of millions of dollars, and all the home that they have caused to burn down.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Miikoyan
Chief Pilot

Post by Miikoyan » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:51 am

I heard that the fire in San Diego was an arson..is this true?

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:17 am

ya i think. at least 1 of the fires in CA was. i believe, there is 4 seperate fires all happening at the same time, and still going.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

tjbaughn
Captain

Post by tjbaughn » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:17 am

I heard on the news tonight it was started by a Kid playing with matches
ImageImage

Ernie
Ticket Agent

Post by Ernie » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:31 pm

Didnt manage to get to see the great Orange beast dropping loads did you???

As a matter of fact I did. My office is in the Mira Mesa area and close to the Miramar Air Base. There was a lot of activity there. The "Governator" requested federal aid right away and they sent 5 C-130s I think. They flew non-stop only to refuel, replenish fire fighting agent, and crew. Along with those, the Navy and Marine Corps had their birds flying all over the place. The reason why the fires got out of hand the first couple of days was due to the Santa Ana winds causing a lot of headaches. The wind was too strong to get birds in the air flying low-level and also 40-50mph winds were causing a lot of small fires to spread to other areas and become these huge fires. At one point there were about 6 big fires all over San Diego County. Lessons learned from the fires 4 years earlier helped a lot. Also great leadership and readiness from our local government was key.

IslandBum
Captain

Post by IslandBum » Mon Nov 05, 2007 8:05 pm

Glad to hear it Ernie - I enjoyed living down there - nice folks and a good town - Do you go to Shakespeares at all???

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Venture Hawaii PLC