why do you get more damage from a heavy landing or taxing in

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Tomb
Flight Attendant

why do you get more damage from a heavy landing or taxing in

Post by Tomb » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:50 pm

than say flying into a hill or Lawn darting after loss of control
i mean if you leave a smoking crater why is the plane not totaled?
after one of our pilots confessed to stuffing one in and speading the bits all over the countryside
i pointed out that not to worry it has barely scratched the paint.
Planes made of rubber on flynet
i kinda if think you have a biggie such as crashing with high rates of descent or speed
the plane should be totaled

Topic Edited by admin to include descriptive title

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:28 pm

There are times where, if you have crash detection turned off, the system won't always register a crash even though it's supposed to. This is probably what occured. One of the future changes will be a revision of how the client detects a crash to be more "uniform" (all planes tend to have substantial damage over a certain impact force so it's fairly easy to impliment a "standard" crash threshold) so that you don't register a "false crash" when you hit a building doing 2MPH or when your model is screwed up and you make a normal landing but it reports a crash. So if the sim detects a crash but the forces at the time were not sufficient to warrant a FlyNET crash, the flight can reset instead of registering a crash.

Wolfar100
Chief Pilot

Post by Wolfar100 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:09 am

Is there such a thing as a "D" check? The "C" check really gets your attention on the big planes and a "D" check for a crash should make one cry! :lol:
Wolfar

Wolf AirLines CEO
http://members.cox.net/wolfar/index.htm

20 Year US Navy Retired
Former Squadron CO and founder:
1997~2003
JG2, JG26, Strike Masters

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:52 am

Yes, in the real world, an aircraft goes in for a "D" check every 3-5 years, depending on how many hours a year it flies. It is a very expensive inspection and results in what almost amounts to a total rebuild of everything but the aircraft's internal structure. Anything that can be replaced on the airplane is usually replaced, including the all of the tires, engines, propellers (if equipped) most of the windows, many of the instruments, and the entire airplane inside and out is repainted.

Wolfar100
Chief Pilot

Post by Wolfar100 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:11 am

CAPFlyer wrote:Yes, in the real world, an aircraft goes in for a "D" check every 3-5 years, depending on how many hours a year it flies. It is a very expensive inspection and results in what almost amounts to a total rebuild of everything but the aircraft's internal structure. Anything that can be replaced on the airplane is usually replaced, including the all of the tires, engines, propellers (if equipped) most of the windows, many of the instruments, and the entire airplane inside and out is repainted.
Ok sounds good! Then I propose a "D" check for any plane that crashes. I crashed one myself and it hardly had a scratch. I should have paid for that dearly! :D
Wolfar

Wolf AirLines CEO
http://members.cox.net/wolfar/index.htm

20 Year US Navy Retired
Former Squadron CO and founder:
1997~2003
JG2, JG26, Strike Masters

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:36 am

Depending on how bad it crashed, it should be removed from your fleet. I'm hoping that Konny and Claudio can come up with a system that can take "seriousness" of the crash into consideration as to how much damage is done to the airplane. If it's a "minor" crash, it might only require minor repairs (like blown tires on landing), if it's a "moderate" crash, then it'll require a D-Check (i.e. plane was repairable). If it's a "major" crash, then you loose the airplane.

Terror

Post by Terror » Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:51 am

3 simple ways to acomplish this come to mind.

1: Any crash off the airfield for aircraft over X weight = total loss. If aircraft under X weight = D check.
2: Any crash over 1000fpm descent = total loss
3: Any crash on field but under 1000fpm descent = D check.

While simple to me in theory I think it woul not be to hard to implement. But I don't know the code involved to make it work in flynet, so it could very easely be harder than it looks to implement. As I know sometimes coding what looks like a simple thing can turn into a total pain in the rear.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:03 am

Not all crashes would require a D-Check, if an aircraft bumps into another AC or the terminal while taxing FS will register it as a crash but in real life relativly minor repairs will be required to get it back in the air.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Tomb
Flight Attendant

crashing

Post by Tomb » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:22 pm

you need a speed check as well since one of my pilots overspeeded and disintergrated at 35,000ft ,decent rate would have been low

you would need a bit more than a D check to re-assemble that one

FSpassengers does a very good job of crash detection, shows the way to go