Orbx Volanta and the Client

Please report Bugs and Problems here
flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Orbx Volanta and the Client

Post by flugkapitan » Sat Aug 28, 2021 1:58 pm

Greetings,

I've been using Volanta since it came out and am quite happy with it as a flight tracker, moving map, etc...

They have just upgraded it and now have a Premium Edition available for purchase. One of the features that has is that if you have a CTD during flight (which I did in P3D 6.5NM from touchdown last night), it automatically saves your data and will be able to restart the flight from the point of the CTD or any other portion of the flight.

I'm wondering how that will work with the Client, as the Client always disconnects when a CTD occurs. After getting the sim loaded at the point of CTD with Volanta, would the Client when re-started, be able to continue on as if nothing had happened?

Regards,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong

ADAM-007
Flight Attendant

Re: Orbx Volanta and the Client

Post by ADAM-007 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:43 pm

The client has its own feature for that but sadly its REALLY buggy with payware aircraft and Joe doesn't own any PMDG, QW, Aerosoft to test and fix the issues so sadly if you don't use the one built into the FSA client, Volanta's implementation is useless

The client would re-open as if nothing happened with you back at your origin airport.

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Post by flugkapitan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:20 pm

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the reply!

I kind of figured that Volanta wouldn't be compatible with the Client, but I thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Cheers,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Aug 31, 2021 12:52 am

The autosave in the client has not been the success I thought it would be. Right now it only works at all with FSX and P3D. It works by saving a snapshot of the clients data and at the same time calling the sim save a flight so that if the sim crashes you can re-read both and continue.

Two problems, often time one save will work but the other will not, so when you try to load they are not in sync and the client thinks your trying to cheat (I do admit I am paranoid about the cheaters), but the bigger problem is that it often causes the sim to pause unacceptably during the flight.

I don't have a team of people I can throw at the problem of saving all the data so I can restore a flight on every sim, especially the high end payware aircraft, and I have been tempted to remove the feature completely as at times it seems more trouble that it has been worth.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

ADAM-007
Flight Attendant

Post by ADAM-007 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:34 pm

Could the client keep a log of position data i.e Lat/Lon, Alt, Speed, Hdg say every few seconds so that if a crash happens one could use something like 'Volanta' to restore it to the correct position. Then the client can have a small amount of 'le-way' built in to cater for slight inconsistancies between the Volanta logged crash time and the FSA logged crash time

The pilot then just has to pause to get FSAirlines going again that way the hard works is done for you Joe and all the client has to do is check positional data from a few seconds at most to restore the flight.

That way other apps are doing hard work by getting payware stuff to work with it.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:30 pm

i did not want to take responsibility of making sure all the settings were correct by setting them through FSUPIC/Simconnect. What I am concerned about is latitude, longitude, altitude and fuel levels. I suppose we could give an option of the client showing the pilot those numbers and having them set it themselves in the sim.

I am not sure at what cadence Volanta saves its data, you could load through it and if the location is close enough to the FSA save data it will continue.

I started working on version 2.4.2 of the client last weekend and may be could add the display of those values to it, along with an option to save the FSA data but not have the simulator save the flight. The release of the client is at least a month out as I am going to be away starting this friday through the following weekend.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

ADAM-007
Flight Attendant

Post by ADAM-007 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:54 pm

joefremont wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:30 pm
i did not want to take responsibility of making sure all the settings were correct by setting them through FSUPIC/Simconnect. What I am concerned about is latitude, longitude, altitude and fuel levels. I suppose we could give an option of the client showing the pilot those numbers and having them set it themselves in the sim.

I am not sure at what cadence Volanta saves its data, you could load through it and if the location is close enough to the FSA save data it will continue.

I started working on version 2.4.2 of the client last weekend and may be could add the display of those values to it, along with an option to save the FSA data but not have the simulator save the flight. The release of the client is at least a month out as I am going to be away starting this friday through the following weekend.
No rush on this it was simply a concept i'd put to you