reconnect client?

Please report Bugs and Problems here
gcl
Ticket Agent

reconnect client?

Post by gcl » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Hi, is there any way for reconnecting the client after sim crash? I am still using FSX, and sometimes it crashes, and the connection is lost. Other pirep systems are able to connect again after restarting the sim and continuing the flight... That would be a really helpfull improvement.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: reconnect client?

Post by joefremont » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:49 pm

At the current time unfortunately no, but it is something I want to work on for the next version of the client.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

gcl
Ticket Agent

Post by gcl » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:24 pm

ok, thanks, so i will wait for the new version. give me a hint, when you need beta testers. My sim is crashing so very often, that i am ideal for that job :P

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:25 am

You using FSX Steam Edition or boxed Gold/Acceleration? Addons? I'd start by taking out scenery add ons one by one until crashes stop happening.

gcl
Ticket Agent

Post by gcl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:58 am

Its the boxed acc version. with ftx global, rex4 and some (ok, a lot :P ) photo sceneries. I have many small airports, since I am a GA pilot, the main airports like KLAX or EDDF are just the standard. I think, the main problem are the airplanes. Here in FSA I started with the big machines, a PMDG Boeing needs as it over 700 MB, when I fly my Carenado grashoppers, I have no problem ;-)
And please dont ask, why I dont change to P3D or even XP11... ;-) I collected the scenery over more then 10 years. Dont want to loose it all.
Greets and happy flying, Frank

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:14 am

I have had good success running ORBX in P3D4, I have been very impressed at how stable it is and almost all my FSX packages work in it, besides ORBX has free upgrades to P3D.

gcl
Ticket Agent

Post by gcl » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:28 am

hmmm, ok. yes, may be, sometimes i will change. but i am an old man, and use the MS flyer since 95... you know, its hard to change ;-) The reconnect feature would be good, anyway. And if you are already reconstructing the V2, it would be good to start the client on a seperate, external PC, should be possible and easy with simconnect or fsuipc.
But I know, you have enought work... Btw., great job, thank you for this at this point

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:44 pm

gcl wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:28 am
hmmm, ok. yes, may be, sometimes i will change. but i am an old man, and use the MS flyer since 95... you know, its hard to change ;-) The reconnect feature would be good, anyway. And if you are already reconstructing the V2, it would be good to start the client on a seperate, external PC, should be possible and easy with simconnect or fsuipc.
But I know, you have enought work... Btw., great job, thank you for this at this point
Well I have been doing FS about as long as you, so for me P3D has been an easy change, XP is still difficult. Reconnect and maybe cargo upgrades are on the roadmap for 2.3 but have not even considered external PC at this point, hopefully I can get 2.2 finalized before the end of the year and once the finance upgrades are done to the website I will turn my attention to that.

gcl
Ticket Agent

Post by gcl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:11 am

Sounds great. No stress, second step after first...
The external PC is not a must have, just would be nice. But reconnect is important, I think, I am not the only one, who fights with sim crashes.
One, really small, point to the website: Is it possible, to imlement in the mailing system (messages) something like a reply button? Thats would be fine. Thanks

VegasTim
Flight Attendant

Post by VegasTim » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:28 am

Hi Frank and welcome to the party!

There is a reply tab on every message, just check your "messages" tab to see all messages and you should see a reply / delete set of tabs under each message.

I'm with you in the "don't fix it if it's not broken" with flight sim as I too run FSX box with my reliable 2009 Alienware 630i and VistaHP. Not even thinking of moving to P3D and Xplane is a word not spoken in this house - bad taste after x9 never to return to it again.

I am not sure how the client would reconnect as you request as your flight would not be starting from the previous position but from the departure point again. Maybe I am missing something? I have RAM freeze ups, especially with any aircraft concerned that has "HD" attached to it. Those large texture files run my old system out of memory and cause FSX to freeze and the only way out is via control panel / task manager, system reboot.

Anyway, just really wanted to say hi and welcome, don't be afraid to ask questions.... many of us are happy to assist if we can.

gcl
Ticket Agent

Post by gcl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:36 am

Hi Tim,
thanks for your post. I dont see any reply button, my be i am blind ;-) I have only "Löschen | zurück" (delete | back) under each message, the mouse over points both to "delete", never clicked one.
About the reconnect... There are tools (fsuipc in pay version, or some freeware, fs autosafe or so (just switched off my PC)), which are able to safe the current fly state every defined time, I do it after every 10 minutes. So, when the sim crashes, I can reload the last state, wich was within max 10 minutes. So, the client should after reconnect just mask or ignore the position difference, which resulted in this time. Other pirep systems i know do exactly that.

[edit:] just clicked on the "back" ("zurück" in german) link, it does exactly, what you meant... So, only the translation is not perfect, should be "antworten".

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:39 am

For 'reconnect' I have a theory, well more a hypothesis, if I can save the position, speed, direction, fuel and payload levels I can at least put the aircraft back in the same position, the pilot will have to get the engines and the navigation back in order once it restarts, but at least it will allow you to continue the flight.

VegasTim
Flight Attendant

Post by VegasTim » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:05 am

Ahhhh I never knew that about FSUIPC and I've had a registered copy for years! Always learning something in flying, be it real world or simulators. I've never started from a "saved flight" in FSX as way back when, on another planet far far away many years ago, Flight 1 tech support promised all things bad happen if you don't reboot FSX "fresh" with the default aircraft (red kite). Dire predictions of frequent crashes and systems failures in software including the then new iFly737NG (which I fly a lot) kept me away from even thinking about using saved flight mode. :shock:

gcl
Ticket Agent

Post by gcl » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:33 pm

I use the saved flight very often, not only after crashs, but also for approach traing in a new plane. Just flight one time to ILS capture, save the state and then land and land again, until it fits your requirements... Never had any problems because of using this mode.