Add Aircraft not Working

Please report Bugs and Problems here
Cat
Chief Pilot

Add Aircraft not Working

Post by Cat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:06 pm

We just picked up a Boeing B717-200 and I wanted to add it to the routes we fly with our DC-93 / MD-82. I went to Flight Plans, selected all airports/DC-93. Then select all Edit Flights Add AC B717 system will not accept it I get continue but no note of flights edited and B717 does not appear in those routes. Same happened when I tried MD-82.

I must be missing something simple but I sure cannot see it.

If I click on a route edit tab and add the B712 there it works. Wow I really don't want to have to do this 1000 times!

any ideas?

Cat
Chief Pilot

Re: Add Aircraft not Working

Post by Cat » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:20 pm

UPDATE: There must be some flight route in my group that the system does not like so it kicks all edits out. I just tried "KSFO / all aircraft / checked the boxes on flights I wanted to edit / edit flights / add a/c / B717-200 and it worked just fine. Weird

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:59 pm

Just looked at the flights you specified for your airline and wow, you have a lot of aircraft on each route, I suspect one of them is reaching some internal limit and its causing something to brake, I will try to debug it.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:33 am

Thanks

Yes we have become a monster - 76 different types 126 total aircraft 50 aircraft in some of those routes ... that may be the "limit never going to be reached" in the code. LOL

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:34 am

Yet I can select airport of my choice / all aircraft / then check routes I want the 717 inserted to and that works just fine. So that's my workaround for now vs. "marrying" a new aircraft to an existing ones' routes.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:30 am

If you continue to go down that list I suspect eventually you will find the one that has the problem.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:49 pm

YUP my thoughts too...... becoming of "victim of one's own success" where either size matters (too many planes for one route) OR we somehow got an airport into the system that really should not accept those size aircraft OR somehow got a route installed that is out of the aircraft range. There's about 1200 routes both the MD82 and DC93 fly and they are not all the same needle in the haystack LOL My last export of the master list we have 3360 total flight routes serving approx. 550 different airports.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:41 pm

I think I found the problem, the server has a limit on the number of data items that can be submitted from a form, which defaults to 1000. You have around 1600 flights you were trying to edit. So the server received the first 1000 route id's and the remaining flights and the instructions from the bottom of the form were not received. So I bumped the limit to 4000 so you should be able to make your change now.

On a related subject, rather than putting basically all you aircraft on every route would it be better to have an 'All aircraft' option on the routes?

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:50 pm

I'm not sure I know what the "all aircraft" function is .... I'm sure Tim does not know either. However our problem stems from having everything from sightseeing biplanes to jumbo jets. "All Aircraft" will not work due to range limitations obviously.

In retrospect I should have split Wrangler Air Charters bush plane flying to its own VA and just code shared with Fly Vegas. Oh well water under the bridge now.

We will soon begin the process of streamlining our operation as many planes have sat a long time and just clog up the system. I think this is where it would really be beneficial to the system (but certainly not the airlines) to have some sort of fee involved like a monthly "tax" based on current depreciated value ... not a big fee but some sort of cost to keep aircraft and never fly them.

Our Bossman Tim has stated more than once: "there is no upside to selling aircraft even if they are not used for they cost us nothing to keep".

Thinking more on an "all aircraft function", certainly an "all fleet function" would be a huge timesaver for operators as most group their planes either by location or type into their various fleets.