Flight couldn't be booked. Selected route is out of range

Please report Bugs and Problems here
Treetopflyer
Ticket Agent

Flight couldn't be booked. Selected route is out of range

Post by Treetopflyer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:49 pm

This is the error i get when attempting to book a flight on a route i've flown hundreds of times. The route is KMCO->YPAD. Its 8758 NM and i easily reach destination in an A388 with about 70 thousand lbs of fuel leftover. Below is a screenshot of the last flight on this route yesterday. Has the A388 range been modified overnight? Can i please have this looked at? Thanks.
Attachments
outofrange2.jpg
outofrange2.jpg (7.93 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
outofrange.jpg
outofrange.jpg (63.69 KiB) Viewed 7576 times

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Re: Flight couldn't be booked. Selected route is out of rang

Post by alasizon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:28 pm

The A388 range in the DB is currently 8300nm. (Which I find to be even a stretch)
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

Treetopflyer
Ticket Agent

Post by Treetopflyer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:00 pm

Be that as it may, I'd argue that the linked image prove otherwise. Check out my profile on fsairlines and you shall see that I managed to fly 145 flights with this particular airframe with the vast majority of the flights on this particular route. To further my "hypermile-ing" argument I present you with a 9434nm flight I successfully executed from YPAD to KBGR http://www.fsairlines.net/crewcenter/in ... &id=933367. My specific argument is that longer flights were available to attempt and successfully executed until today. What gives? Have the variables regarding the availability of this ac has been specifically updated overnight affecting this?

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:30 pm

While I am unsure of why the range change was submitted, 8300nm is still a long ways to go. (~17-18hrs) With regards to prior flights you have made, the model you are using does not truly resemble the aircraft 100% realistically. The data in the DB usually does tend to be very accurate and contains the most up to date information. If the range is incorrect and you can find real world current documents that support a longer range with payload, then the range can be changed accordingly. I personally believe that 8300nm in a real-world A388 is quite a stretch with a full payload.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:39 pm

The range in the database is what Airbus shows as the maximum range of the aircraft to be with full fuel tanks. Whether this carries payload or not isn't part of the equation, just as it isn't with the range of any other aircraft in the database. With favorable winds, it is possible to go further of course, but for planning, one should never attempt to execute a flight that is beyond the certified range of the aircraft as any deviation in the weather can result in failure to complete the flight.

Additionally, the available FS A380's have been shown several times to have incorrect and unrealistic fuel usage by as much as 50% low. This is why we have a statement that those using the A380 need to make a modification to their Fuel_Flow_Scalar in order to prevent being tagged for cheating by the automatic system. Plus, if you do not have all realism sliders fully to the right and you have not added the appropriate payload, your fuel burn and range will not be right as both of those change how much fuel you burn.

Treetopflyer
Ticket Agent

Post by Treetopflyer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:16 am

Fair enough, and I fully comprehend this. You both have made a point in telling me that i should not be able to do this and i should not attempt it. In the process you have proven unable to answer my initial question. Maybe it was not clearly posted. Here is the third attempt: Have the settings in the fsairlines system have been changed last night? and if you don't know the answer would it not be more acceptable to simply hold your thoughts instead of chastise me (however polite)?

FR0009
Ticket Agent

Post by FR0009 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:15 pm

Treetopflyer wrote:Fair enough, and I fully comprehend this. You both have made a point in telling me that i should not be able to do this and i should not attempt it. In the process you have proven unable to answer my initial question. Maybe it was not clearly posted. Here is the third attempt: Have the settings in the fsairlines system have been changed last night? and if you don't know the answer would it not be more acceptable to simply hold your thoughts instead of chastise me (however polite)?
Yes! they have change A380 settings according the screenshot of the upcoming aircraft info-page

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:06 am

I don't know why they changed the A380 range as 8300nm is the range with full pax load, but our agreement was back when we introduced ranges was that we were going to use the maximum (maximum) range for the airplane, even if it meant no payload to get there. With that being the case, the original range of 9600nm is correct, but per the Airbus documents, you can't do that range with any payload (at all).

Treetopflyer
Ticket Agent

Post by Treetopflyer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:21 pm

This is highly frustrating ... thanks for info.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Well, whatever the reason it was changed, I went ahead and put it back. It's not useful for the A380, as popular as it is, to be restricted so much. As long as the fuel usage is right, then your truly profitable range should still be somewhere around 8500nm Beyond that, the number of pax and payload you can carry reduces dramatically.

Treetopflyer
Ticket Agent

Post by Treetopflyer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:08 am

I was able to book a flight from KMCO to YPAD ... thank you very much.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:11 am

Make sure you've modified your Fuel flow scalar and you are actually putting the right weights onboard. If not, you may end up with the flight being flagged.

Treetopflyer
Ticket Agent

Post by Treetopflyer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:50 am

where can i find more info on this?

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:13 am

Well, the payload is pretty easy because it's given in the planning document. Load your payload per that, then load fuel. If you have to reduce payload, then it'll match what will happen when you reduce it in the client.

As for the Fuel Flow Scalar - there were updates released for most of the A380s that had more realistic fuel flow usage. If it's still low, then simply add .2-.4 to the existing scalar.