There is a problem with the database please contact an Admin

Please report Bugs and Problems here
ygor_ma
Ticket Agent

There is a problem with the database please contact an Admin

Post by ygor_ma » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:49 pm

''There is a problem with the database please contact an Admin."

I've got this mensage when booking my flight, in the site, it apear to be booked, but in FSAirlines client no, what is this an how can i fix it??

Stan
Chief Pilot

Re: There is a problem with the database please contact an A

Post by Stan » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:25 pm

Same problem as topic "no flight booked"
Yours Stan

aviatop
Ticket Agent

Post by aviatop » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:27 pm

the same one.

Polar
Ticket Agent

Post by Polar » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Seem here! Can't fly, all seems to be normal, booked! Client says: no flight booked!
And on the flight booked page it says "flight booked" and this: There was problem with the database request, please contact an admin"

What to do next?

I tested different flights, all the same!?
And since all the date stamps from above posts, it seems to be a new thing ... something is changed on the webpage/data base or Client?!?!?

greetings
Polar (PanAvia)
CEO and specialized in payware aircraft systems and procedures!

aeroalexGR

Post by aeroalexGR » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:26 pm

Lost my Saturday... thanks guys, the worst thing is, there's no reply!! :roll:

MMattyK
Captain

Post by MMattyK » Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:29 pm

Same problem here as well...
Dis 3 flights earlier today, and then on booking 4th, had same issue. My best guess would be to submit a supprt ticket, as I have done. The admins are pretty good with this sort of thing :)

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks for not having any patience.

Considering I just woke up an hour ago this is the first thing I'm seeing - a thread about people who get paid NOTHING for their work being told off.

I will say it again - the payments made by the CEO's/Platinum members do not go in our pockets. They pay for the service and the service alone. We still do this in our free time and we still do this for nothing. If we don't answer immediately, it's probably because WE'RE NOT AVAILABLE.

I'm sorry, but it's getting really old to come online and have 30 e-mails, support tickets, FSAirlines messages, and forum posts about something that happened while I was gone and another 60 about how we didn't respond to it within 30 seconds. We will look into the problem and see if we can find a solution, but right now the network appears to be working fine on our end, so from what limited access I have, I can't tell if/where the problem is beyond just before the problems happening a user decided to be completely stupid and try to upload a flight 20 times without checking the website to see if it'd actually been accepted. That created a lot of load on the server and might be what caused it, but wouldn't explain it continuing for several hours. Hopefully Joe or Konrad will be able to find the problem, but until then, you'll just have to be patient.

Russ_Kent
Ticket Agent

Post by Russ_Kent » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:27 am

CAPFlyer. You need to understand people's frustration and not use sarcasm in your response. (Thank you for not being patient). A simple "We are working to resolve" would be more diplomatic and will make premium members feel like we are not being neglected. If we come across as unappriciative of peoples efforts to run FSAirlines, its because we didn't know they are volenters. I for one now appreciate them more for kowing they are using their own free time for our pleasure and look forward to continuing using their great product.

PS737
Ticket Agent

Post by PS737 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 am

I wonder if they have done it out of respect for the victims of 9/11? Its worth thinking about.
PFC216

MMattyK
Captain

Post by MMattyK » Sun Sep 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Seen the note about the issue on the login page. I confes that often I go straight to login without looking at the page. I've sent messages to all my pilots in my va to ensure they get the message regarding the issue in the hope that that way they won't be surprised or add to the log jam.
Not sure if doing this may add extra load to the system, but it might help if other va CEO's do the same with their pilots, to spread the word quickly about the issue.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:21 pm

Russ_Kent wrote:CAPFlyer. You need to understand people's frustration and not use sarcasm in your response. (Thank you for not being patient). A simple "We are working to resolve" would be more diplomatic and will make premium members feel like we are not being neglected. If we come across as unappriciative of peoples efforts to run FSAirlines, its because we didn't know they are volenters. I for one now appreciate them more for kowing they are using their own free time for our pleasure and look forward to continuing using their great product.
Russ, I understand frustration, but I don't have patience anymore for the same people every time we have a problem demanding a fix in 30 seconds for something that may be very serious and take days to fix even once Konrad and/or Joe know what it is depending on how deep the problem lies. What you don't understand is that 90% of the messages we got from people demanding the fix and on this thread are quite well aware of the admin/developer situation, they don't care. Either that, or they can't read the user agreement, the features list when they sign up for a platinum account, multiple threads in the past over issues, several announcement threads about the premium account system, and just plain history of dealing with us to understand that we're not paid, full-time employees of the network. You are relatively new and that I understand, but it's not directed at you, it's directed at those people who know better by now but don't give us a chance.
PS737 wrote:I wonder if they have done it out of respect for the victims of 9/11? Its worth thinking about.
I wish it was. I would be fitting, but if we were doing that, we'd make an announcement to that effect because it'd be the least we could do (let everyone know about an intentional outage).
MMattyK wrote:Seen the note about the issue on the login page. I confes that often I go straight to login without looking at the page.
Matt, I wish you were in the minority. I don't know what else to do to make it more clear when we have a problem than to post on the front page. Posting in here only gets seen by the vast minority of users and it's becoming apparent to me that not matter what we do, people are going to not pay attention anymore. This is why we stress that you need to take a second to check the front page when you log in. We're not going to do mass mailing because we already have enough problems with spam filters and the cost to ensure we don't get flagged is too high (paying for a service to make us "clear" and keep us that way). It would be hopefully the most effective way, but at least with the front page, it should (*cross fingers*) translate our news items into the relevant language so we don't have to worry as much about these things being misread.

Lilienthal
Ticket Agent

Post by Lilienthal » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:55 pm

CAPFlyer wrote:Russ, I understand frustration, but I don't have patience anymore for the same people every time we have a problem demanding a fix in 30 seconds for something that may be very serious and take days to fix even once Konrad and/or Joe know what it is depending on how deep the problem lies. What you don't understand is that 90% of the messages we got from people demanding the fix and on this thread are quite well aware of the admin/developer situation, they don't care.
I think nobody expected you to fix that issue within seconds, but where missing a statement about that issue on the front page for hours. You can't blame the people for wanting to know, what's going on. In my case a support-ticket I wrote was closed unanswered before you had postet anything on the site or in the forum and that made me a little angry, because it wasn't the way the things were handled the last time I used your site more than one year ago. Of course the database problem could be the reason for that problem with the ticket, but without knowing that this this problem exists, I could only judge the fact, that it was closed unanswered.

And there's another aspect: The MSFS
If any problems occur within that software, most people think it's a MSFS problem again and not a problem of your database for example. ;)

I think, as long, as there is information about what's going on, there is no need for frustration and impatience.

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:05 pm

Lilienthal wrote:I think nobody expected you to fix that issue within seconds, but where missing a statement about that issue on the front page for hours. You can't blame the people for wanting to know, what's going on. In my case a support-ticket I wrote was closed unanswered before you had postet anything on the site or in the forum and that made me a little angry, because it wasn't the way the things were handled the last time I used your site more than one year ago. Of course the database problem could be the reason for that problem with the ticket, but without knowing that this this problem exists, I could only judge the fact, that it was closed unanswered.
As a note, there are currently three active developers, plus Chris who is serving as our main DB Admin currently (a hefty undertaking).

Joe and Chris and both located here in the U.S. (I believe Joe is in California, not sure of where Chris is)

Both Konny and Claudio are located in Germany. So at the approximate time of the outage, Joe would've been asleep or just waking up (and most likely a similar situation for Chris) and Konny and Claudio would've been arriving back home for the evening and might not have checked the website.

As Chris has mentioned, this is not a 24/7 support organization and as such, it does take additional time to solve issues.

Furthermore, as someone very accustomed with servers and networking, sometimes when trying to repair something that is not working, you forget to post out to the front page because you are knee deep in code. It does happen.

With regards to your support ticket, my guess would be many of them were closed in anticipation of the update that was about to be posted in the news section.

Chris has done a good job in handling the PR on his own and I am confident that one of the developers will have a status for us shortly.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:18 pm

Lilienthal wrote:I think nobody expected you to fix that issue within seconds,
I wish that were true, but the support tickets and e-mails state otherwise.
In my case a support-ticket I wrote was closed unanswered before you had postet anything on the site or in the forum and that made me a little angry, because it wasn't the way the things were handled the last time I used your site more than one year ago.
Actually, yours was closed because it was blank. When there was a blank ticket among the 120 that were opened in the 2 hours between when the problem started and when I woke up, I just closed it because I couldn't be sure what it was about and I couldn't spend the time to try and figure out what it was for. Those that weren't blank, I put a standard response that we were now aware of the problem and would be looking into it and fixing it. I then (within 10 minutes of doing that) posted the news item on the front page and made the posts in the forum.

I'm sorry, but I don't like waking up, signing onto my e-mail and finding 400 messages sitting in the inbox about support tickets, private messages, and e-mails, many of them not very kind or understanding, and then having to spend over an hour just to get through the initial flood of information to figure out what's going on and if it was something I could fix or not and start a response. It doesn't help when I got multiple tickets and e-mails that were quite nasty and from users who knew better.

Again, we're not 24/7 as has been said many times before. The problem started mid-afternoon in Europe. I woke up and found out about the problem mid-day in the US (I'm in Texas) about 3 hours after it started. Joe may or may not have been up by that time, but he's been busy with work so he doesn't get on but late in the evening anyway when he can, so he was still several hours from having a chance to see that there was a problem. I don't know about Conrad or Claudio, their schedules change on a constant basis due to school (which I think just started back anyway), so it's possible they weren't available at all yesterday. Either way, we've said time and time again that a normal response time for any issue is 24 hours. That doesn't mean that it'll get fixed in 24 hours, just that someone should see it and respond to it within that time frame. There are times when you "hit the jackpot" and someone's online at the time you have the problem or shortly thereafter, but there's no guarantee. For users to demand an answer within 3 hours after being told that we don't work on that short a timeline is again, unacceptable. We'll get information when we can, but when we can't, you have to be patient because we've only said a couple dozen times that we're not 24/7 and that we operate on our free time to keep this thing running.

namcojr
Ticket Agent

Post by namcojr » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:19 pm

(...) problems happening a user decided to be completely stupid and try to upload a flight 20 times (...)
Chris has done a good job in handling the PR on his own and I am confident that one of the developers will have a status for us shortly.
No, he didn't... At all.

As for the money spent "trying to fix" the problems, as in cancel the flight, rebook, etc... Can we get the money back, as it was a system's fault, not ours? 27K isn't a lot of cash, but in my case requires a 10 hour flight to earn it, so it's kind of a loss for me.

Thank you.