A dangerous error in the base airports

Please report Bugs and Problems here
Sesshomaru
Ticket Agent

A dangerous error in the base airports

Post by Sesshomaru » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:47 pm

Hello.
Again, I am writing errors in the section because it is what I found a bug.
Well, does not exist in FSX airport which is the ICAO code WIIH but it exists in your database.
Then in your database has no position WIHH but again she is in FSX as well as in reality.
And the worst part is that the airport of such a code as WIIH in fact not exist.

I checked this with
http://worldaerodata.com/ and http://rfinder.asalink.net/free/

Poprawcie error.

WIHH exists in reality and fsx but not in your database
WIIH does not exist in reality or FSX, only in your database

PS.
WIHH airport is located in Jakarta, Indonesia.

PPS
Sorry for my english :)

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: A dangerous error in the base airports

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:34 pm

WIIH is the ICAO code that was assigned to the airport at the time FS9 was released. As such, it is the only ICAO code which we will allow in our database. Had you looked in the Important Annoucements forum, you would have found a thread about adding new airports. Within it, we explain that we only use the FS9 default ICAO code because the majority of our users still use FS9. As such, to prevent confusion, we have made the decision that until we can configure the database to accept multiple ICAO codes in a user-friendly manner, we will only use FS9 default ICAO codes for all airports unless they are addon-only (i.e. not included within FS9). We will not assume that users have addon scenery to update the ICAO code, so the decision is final and not up for debate.

Additionally, this is not the first airport duplication I've denied from your VA. I have already sent an explanation to one member, if it wasn't you, then your VA needs to do a better job of communicating within itself to let everyone know once it's announced to one, it needs to be passed to all.

Skids
Ticket Agent

Post by Skids » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:54 am

I too have an issue with an ICAO code. Baghdad international, Iraq is listed in the FSA database as ORBS when in FSX it is ORBI. Upon investigation with wikipedia, google and a few others I find that the correct code is ORBI as listed in FSX and has been this for many years. I read that the codes in the FSA database are derived from FS9 and will not be changed.

I had a similar issue a few months back with another ICAO code ( at a different airport ) and contacted Capflyer who advised me that the actual destination recorded is not based on the code, but on the actual co-ordinates of the "touchdown" with a leeway of a kilometer/mile or so to combat any Idiosyncrasies with add on scenery etc.

I can also understand that information entered in a database and the upkeep can be both involved and intense and very time consuming for those few who volunteer their time to run the site.

To combat these issues that may appear from time to time I have one question and maybe one solution.

Firstly the question, If it is correct that the client reads the CO-ORDINATES of "touchdown" and not the ICAO code then it would be irrellevant which code the users Flight Sim is using. Can this be confirmed by a developer please?

If the above is not the case then a solution would be (if possible) to create a new Airport with the same coordinates but named accordingly eg. Baghdad FS9, Bagdhad FSX etc.

I admit that I am not knowledgable on how the FSA database works nor do I know anything about programming hence all my trust is put into the Developers and Admins to steer me in the right direction. If I were knowledgable, I would not think twice about offerring my services to this great addition to the FS passtime ( OK I'll admit it, I'm a simaholic ).

Perhaps this post could be placed as a "sticky" or its own "title" as I have searched the forums and have seen a few comments on this issue in various topics but have not seen one dedicated to these issues. Forgive me if I have missed it.

Anyhow many thanks to the Developers and Admin staff who keep this site running. It is those who care and worry that make things happen.

Paul
RR Manager
FSNAirlines

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:44 am

1) The database works on coordinates only. However, if you have 2 airports with the same coordinates, you risk the airplane being listed at the wrong one and you have to put together separate flights for each airport.

2) Konrad & Joe have been planning on putting in functionality to allow for airports to list more than one ICAO code for each simulator used (FS9, FSX, X-Plane) and for the ICAO code that any given pilot sees be based off of a setting in their User Profile. When this will get put in, I don't know that anyone can tell you, but in the meantime, what I said in the post before yours still holds true. The database uses the FS9 default ICAO codes. As long as the airport you takeoff from and land at have the same coordinates as the ones in the database, you will be given proper credit.