Unable to start flight with client (v2.0.5b)

Please report Bugs and Problems here
CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Unable to start flight with client (v2.0.5b)

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am

No because I got proper landing detection on my flights that didn't upload properly. Also the problem with names not filling out (which was the catalyst for pulling 2.0.5b back) wasn't a major problem until the last week or two. Prior to that, we were getting maybe 1 random one per week.

DavidK
Ticket Agent

Post by DavidK » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:56 pm

Incidentally, is the blank area with the "Show/Upload/Delete saved report" buttons intended to be the design from now on?
I'd much prefer the previous arrangement.

If, though, they are to stay, I suggest their names make clear that the report they show, upload or (especially) delete is the copy held by the client, not the website. I don't understand, though, why they're a good idea, as they seem to complicate things unnecessarily...

I haven't lost sight, though, of it all being free to use.

David

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:19 am

I'm not sure what's unclear about the buttons. The buttons say "Show Saved Report, "Upload Saved Report", and "Delete Saved Report". What about that doesn't suggest that it isn't talking about something saved on your computer or on the client? Additionally, these buttons and their operation are explained on our Wiki, so it's a documented feature.

The reason for them is also clear if you read the Wiki - if you complete a flight offline or the website isn't functioning properly to receive your report, it allows you to manually resend the report without having to redo your flight. It's something that the users asked for and we delivered.

MMattyK
Captain

Post by MMattyK » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm pretty sure that the problem wasn't the client as I've been using it for some time (since it was released) prior to the problems kicking off several days ago, and having gone back to the straight v2.0.0, the client doesn't seem to upload the report automatically - I have to do it manually with the uplaod saved report, check it's been put on the database, and then delete the report prior to booking anither flight. I am looking forward to tryng the new client later this week.

DavidK
Ticket Agent

Post by DavidK » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:58 pm

CAPFlyer wrote:I'm not sure what's unclear about the buttons. The buttons say "Show Saved Report, "Upload Saved Report", and "Delete Saved Report". What about that doesn't suggest that it isn't talking about something saved on your computer or on the client? Additionally, these buttons and their operation are explained on our Wiki, so it's a documented feature.
Thanks for the pointer to the wiki. Since the client interacts with the website records, I was just thinking that "Delete saved report" could be read as "Delete this flight's report as saved on the website (i.e. lose it)". I suppose, though, that "Upload saved report" implies that the report is saved on the computer running the client.

My other observation was purely cosmetic: after ending a flight, I guess I like seeing the report summary anyway rather than just three buttons. Perhaps the summary could be reinstated with second two of the three buttons below it -- renamed, say, [Upload this report] and [Report uploaded: delete this copy] -- with the third, [Show saved report], appearing when the summary isn't shown...?
The reason for them is also clear if you read the Wiki - if you complete a flight offline or the website isn't functioning properly to receive your report, it allows you to manually resend the report without having to redo your flight. It's something that the users asked for and we delivered.
I apologise if my post read as ungrateful. I now understand the motivation behind the change -- and appreciate that FSA continues to provide and develop the client and website free-of-charge.

David

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:34 pm

David, the summary screen is available if you click the "View Saved Report" button. The reason that screen overrides the saved summary is because it's meant to let you know that the client believes it did not successfully upload the report, something more important than seeing the summary because you might accidentally think it's been recorded at the server and when you sign on, it's not so you can't book that next flight like you'd wanted to. However, if you log onto your account and confirm it's been uploaded, all you have to do is click the "view saved report" button and then when done, delete it.

DavidK
Ticket Agent

Post by DavidK » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:17 pm

CAPFlyer wrote:...The reason that screen overrides the saved summary is because it's meant to let you know that the client believes it did not successfully upload the report...
I think I'm getting the bigger picture now -- thanks for bearing with me. I've been seeing the three buttons every time even though the reports continue to appear on the site anyway, so I guess this is the teething trouble that needs ironing out. When the client doesn't manage to upload the latest report or confirm that it's been uploaded, however, something like "Unable to upload flight report" or "Unable to confirm upload of flight report" above the three buttons (rather than just the three buttons on their own) might be worthwhile.

If/when the client does manage to confirm correctly that the most recent report has been uploaded, what would be shown in the window -- still just the three buttons on their own?

David

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:22 am

You'd go back to the initial log-on screen.

DavidK
Ticket Agent

Post by DavidK » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:26 pm

And if your login is automatic, I guess it would be "Home - News" page instead..?

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:55 pm

Yes.

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:00 pm

Can anybody who had the "upload/show/delete saved report" screen on the Client please send me the debug file? I'm trying to find out what the problem is, but I need more debug info.

http://wiki.fsairlines.net/index.php/Debug_File
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

Vjacheslav
Flight Attendant

Post by Vjacheslav » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:18 pm

sent to konny at fsairlines

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks, I actually think I found the problem. It was server-side so there's no need for another Client update to check it. Please tell me if the problems still persists.
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

DavidK
Ticket Agent

Post by DavidK » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:51 am

I just completed a flight using the v2.0.0 client and it behaved as before -- thanks -- but, if the report's upload isn't confirmed, the idea of keeping a copy with client for another attempt (then deletion once it's successful) sounds sensible.

David

afqr2007
Ticket Agent

Post by afqr2007 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:46 am

I have also completed a flight with 2.0.0 and it worked perfectly.

Thanks for sorting it out quickly