Unfairness in placing advertisements

Please report Bugs and Problems here
Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Unfairness in placing advertisements

Post by Brian Peace » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:01 pm

when will this be dealt with and fixed???

a airline using 16x and 1000x multiplier can place adds anywhere it wants, while those of us using 1x and a 25x multiplier can never afford them.

for example, a 48 hour sidebar add = 240,000,000 v$ something our airline could never afford becuase it takes a month... yes a MONTH, to make that income. Yet 1000x airlines could make that in ONE properly planned A380 flight. One hour...

please tell me you'll be fixing this. especially if your product is now going payware, things like this need to be dealt with. swiftly.

My suggestion is having a base rate and then apply the airlines mulitplier. Example: add costs 1,000,000 bucks base cost. that's 25 million to us (still a lot) and 1,000,000,000 for a 1000x airline. Maybe they'd think twice about it now too! Or at least have to work as hard to place the add!

Or keep it the prices simliar to what they are for 1000x guys at 240,000,000 but then the actual add cost would be 240,000 and we could actually afford that (240,000 x 25 = 6,000,000)
MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB
http://bcnorth.tripod.com/

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Unfairness in placing advertisements

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:03 pm

Brian, doing a quick search, I see NO mention in the past of this being an issue, so your premise for this post is wholly inappropriate. If it's an issue, you can bring it up in a much more constructive manner with much more constructive language. You've been a member here for long enough to know that if someone brings up a legitimate concern, we do try to address it in a timely manner.

Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Post by Brian Peace » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:49 pm

hmm my bad it was buried in the post I brought up about aircraft maintenece issues that is along the same lines.

I don't see where my language comes across as anything harsh?... the other issue about maintenence cost issues with airlines of different multipliers... . has not been dealt with yet... so why shouldn't I have every right to ask this be looked into and swiftly? perhaps tone gets lost on internet text, as it often does. :?

cheers. :D
MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB

Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Post by Brian Peace » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:54 pm

and it was THIS post : http://www.fsairlines.net/forum/viewtop ... =86&t=7011

my second post within that thread is about the adds. mods replied after that... and then the topic continues with good discussion to which no further mods reply.

You guys / gals who are going to mod a payware product really do need to start replying more to threads in here. Input from the community, quick and detailed repsonses from admin/mods about whats heppening or whats planned in the future, and creating a level playing feild for everyone are going to be paramount in your success.

cheers.
MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:17 pm

Brian - using a lot of punctuation "emphasizes" the statement to a higher level. In your case, with all the question marks, it can only be read as being patronizing, just as using a lot of exclamation points at the end of a statement is read as being demanding.

As far as it being brought up in a thread about another issue, it got missed because it didn't pertain to the issue being addressed, thus we didn't read it. We did address the maintenance issue and are still trying to figure out how to equitably deal with the issue but I think Konrad has a plan in place. As you correctly point out - it's buried in that topic. If it's a separate issue, you need to bring it up in a separate thread.

Also, I don't appreciate the accusation that we don't respond to threads about issues. We have and are. If an issue has been brought up multiple times though, we're not going to spend our entire day answering the same question over and over. Joe, Konrad, & Claudio will be stepping up our efforts to get new features and fixes implemented, but our responding to the issues will be the same - we will respond to all valid concerns and issues and help out our users as much as possible.

Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Post by Brian Peace » Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:17 pm

any new progress here? still going to cost my airline 240,000,000 to place a 48 hour sidebar add. 3 months of completed flights for one add just can't be right, when 16x / 1000x multiplier airlines can pay for this with ONE very well executed flight.

All I am asking for here is a level playing field and a flat line right across the board in being able to advertise. I pay the same amount of real dollars as those CEO's (or will once I sign up)... so I see no reason it shouldn't be the same price for me vs. them to advertise my airline.

MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:09 am

I have just placed a sidebar advert,cost $240m,only thing is, it seems once you have a premium a/c you cant see the sidebar adverts.
Yours Stan

Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Post by Brian Peace » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:32 am

So now were almost going on a month on this issue with no real input from the developers. This is a pretty big issue to me (unfairnesses in the system) and one of the major reasons I have NOT upgraded my account yet. Any answers yet development team? I have been patient and waited nearly a month now on this issue. I'd like to buy my premium account with discount but this and the maintenence issue are really holding me back. I don't feel that paying for a system with discrepancies between airlines being able to a) fix the fleet , and b) advertise for pilots, is fair. To anyone.

thanks for your time.
MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB

alemaobaiano
Captain

Post by alemaobaiano » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:49 am

It would be interesting to see a response on this, the cost of a sidebar ad is prohibitive to all but a few airlines. As most of our flights generate V$6-8m we have to fly a lot to place an ad, yet as Brian points out some airlines can earn the cost in a single flight. It does seem to penalise the more realistic operators in favour of the 16x brigade.

Log in ads are very reasonably priced, but the sidebars are seen more and at a time when VAs could be closing their doors wouldn't it be beneficial to allow the realistic operators a fair crack of the whip when it comes to recruiting pilots? As things stand it's just self perpetuating, the 16x brigade earn more money, place more ads and attract more pilots, while the realistic operators don't have the luxury.

TTFN

abarter
Ticket Agent

Post by abarter » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:31 pm

My two cents worth.

When a person flies an A380 and makes $200,000,000 it is applied to his assets. When his assets reach the next level the multiplier will drop and he'll make less money on future flights. So, in the long run he'll suffer because he's made all his advertising money and used it up at the beginning of his VA's life (real time that is). After a week or so of this he'll be making nothing on his flights because his multiplier has gone down to nothing. Then, he's on a level playing field with everyone else. Then again, my comments are mute if the advertising money spent is not applied to the airlines Total Assets. I don't know as I haven't spent money on ad's yet. I'm building up the fleet and hubs before starting to advertise.

You can make the same argument about the purchase of aircraft for a new VA. Using the multiplier again, a new VA can get aircraft fast, but as they progress, there's less money and then they are slowed to a crawl like the rest of us.

I like the way it is set up now.

BTW, anyone who can fly at 16x+ must have one hell of a flight model because I find no aircraft in my hanger can be trusted over 4x.

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:35 pm

Well, what we changed in the 2.0 Client release is that the aircraft status decreases faster with a higher multiplier. That doesn't affect the ads directly but it's one step to make more fair. But I don't know how far we want to go with that. The high multiplier a the beginning should make it easier for new airlines, which it does and I think that if you don't fly with multiplier x1 (which really doesn't work with the current system) you should be able to buy ads.
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:41 pm

Konrad,

In reality, the current system doesn't work with advertisements. To have a decent-sized ad (and I just checked myself) for any period of time, an established airline has to use an inordinate amount of resources to pay for it. Advertising costs should never be more than 10% of an airline's income. As it is now, there are times where it's well over 50% of the airline's income. You shouldn't have to fly 3 or 4 flights just to pay for 1 ad.

Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Post by Brian Peace » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:02 am

3 or 4 flights would be GREAT. we need to fly about 240! to pay for one 48 hour add. :shock:
MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB

Konny
FSAirlines Developer

Post by Konny » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:28 am

Well, sidebar-ads are very expensive, but they also have a very exposed position on the website. For one hour everybody visiting the website will see your ad.
Furthermore they last very long. If you really spend $240,000,000 on the 48 hours package your ad will be shown for at least one month (currently there are 16 active sidebar-ads). If we lower the prices more airlines will buy ads and thus it will take longer for your ad to show up on the website. I don't know if you really want that. And a 1000x airline having the money to spend $240mio on ads won't keep the 1000x multiplier for a long time and it will get harder for them to spent so much money on advertising quickly.

So, I personally like the way it is at the moment where buying sidebar-ads is not something you can do easily while expanding your airline.
Konrad - FSAirlines Developer

Brian Peace
Chief Pilot

Post by Brian Peace » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:24 am

still havent answered the base question: why should I as a paying user of FS Airlines, have to pay MORE of my v$ to place adds that anyone else? It's discrimination...
MAINLAND PILOTS CLUB