taxi speed penalty bug

Please report Bugs and Problems here
Tomb
Flight Attendant

taxi speed penalty bug

Post by Tomb » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:45 am

this need to detect you are acutally on the ground before being applied

i had to do a go around and touched down on the runway before the engines had spooled up to go around setting and then climbed away to complete the go around

Motomad1
Flight Attendant

Re: taxi speed penalty bug

Post by Motomad1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:59 pm

I have pilots had the same problams..this client is not really set up for 'Go-arounds'

Any chance of it maybe added in for a go-around?
ImageImage

hezza
Captain

Post by hezza » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:31 pm

1) A go-around should be initiated before you aircraft reaches Decision Height on approach. Once below DH you are committed to a landing.
2) The client will not allow touch and gos because that is a pilot training procedure that hopefully would not be used on a commercial flight with PAX or cargo.

So there is no bug here? ;)

/G

alemaobaiano
Captain

Post by alemaobaiano » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:05 pm

Sorry Graham, I have to disagree on this one.

With a typical Cat II DH of 200' you can still touch the runway, even if you started the GA above that height. Older aircraft in particular are prone to this, due to spool up times and sometimes less than wonderful high lift devices. That's one reason why gear retraction on a GA is only after the "positive rate" call, you go down before you start to go up.

Now when we drop the DH to a Cat III setting of 50' it generally doesn't matter what you are flying, you are going to touch the runway if you need to initiate a GA at that point.

There is also the possibility of a GA after touchdown, indeed it is a procedure covered in most of the FCOMs that I have seen, usually with the caveat that after TR deployment you stay on the ground. The MD-11 FCOM even has a procedure for a GA after spoiler deployment. This is in effect, a touch and go situation.

So touching the runway during a GA procedure is not unusual in commercial use, and as such it is a "bug" if the system can't recognise the event.

TTFN

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:33 pm

Touching down during a Go Around is extremely unusual in any use and you'll get hung out to dry by any and every regulatory agency and airline in the world if you do touch down during the GA if it's due to lack of met criteria (i.e. visibility or ceiling minima not met or runway not in sight). This is the reason for the stabilized approach and why part of it says that you are supposed to keep power applied during the entire approach.

You must make the decision to land or go around by the listed Decision Height. That height has to be located at a position at which your aircraft WILL NOT touch the ground if the go-around procedure is executed immediately. The ICAO regulations on this matter are quite clear. FCOM's may have data on how to do a rejected landing or an emergency touch-and-go, but they all specify that a Go Around procedure must be done in a given way to prevent wheel touchdown.

If you have an emergency go-around or a rejected landing, then yes, you have to account for it, but that is also not a "normal" event nor is it something that should necessarily be accounted for as it is something that only occurs when something bad is about to happen (i.e. bounced landing, traffic on the runway, or dangerous wind gusts/microburst).

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 pm

i think there should be a button that you hit after the client says "landed" that is for rejected landings so you dont get pinged for something that wasnt true. and this button should only work once so people just dont do touch and goes. also have both touchdown speeds listed and accounted for in the status drop.

i had this happen to me before... was flying online and had some idiot decide pull out on the runway infront of me on purpose right as i touched down, had enough room to take back off but not enough to stop, so i rejected and went around for another approach... and of course, i touch down and DING taxi overspeed. wasnt too happy to say the least.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

alemaobaiano
Captain

Post by alemaobaiano » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:57 pm

You obviously fly with better real world pilots than I do Chris :lol:

I have experienced this from the jump seat several times in the past, with DC9s and 707s. 200'-220' DH, pitch and power as recommended for the GA at that point, and the aircraft still touched the runway.

TTFN

hezza
Captain

Post by hezza » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:16 pm

I have nothing to add, others have better sources - even if they don't agree - lol.

As for flying on line, both networks recommend having crash detection disabled, so if someone does something stupid when you are on short final you just land anyway as if they were not there, and contact a SUP.

/G

Tomb
Flight Attendant

Post by Tomb » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:37 am

in this case it was a runway incursion and in a heavy its not unsual to touch down during a late go around, pitch up just changes the angle of the crash you have to wait for the power to come on and then climb away. throttles will be forward thier will be NO LD/TR deploy so its a non issue

going around after those two events i would suggest is a rejected landing rather than a go around, a go around is a non issue if you touch down, providing its on the runway, attempting a go around after LD/TR may well be, crashing in a heap because you should have gone around is definitly an issue.

thier are quite a few cases of rejected landing most famously the B747 that landed on a flying club airfield, he kinda noticed the runway was a bit short and the airfield a bit small, he rejected the landing and went on to the correct airfield

if you do a search it may be on youtube

most exciting LoL