Helicopter Parking Break

Please report Bugs and Problems here
e.rossiter
Ticket Agent

Helicopter Parking Break

Post by e.rossiter » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:46 pm

Hello, I fly a Bell 412 Helicopter some times for my Virtual Airliner. And every time I land and park I get a Parking Brake violation at the end of my flight. The Bell 412 does not have a parking brake and pressing ctrl+. does nothing.

Does any one know how to fix this problem with the parking brake. Thanks.
ImageImage

vaccaro
Captain

Re: Helicopter Parking Break

Post by vaccaro » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:24 pm

I have no idea but maybe this helps...
Turn the engine off and wait for a minute.

I don't fly rotary wings but half of my flights ends without parking brakes but engines off and only once I was dinged.

hezza
Captain

Post by hezza » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:58 pm

You can easily add a parking brake to any a/c (including helicopters and floatplanes) so it can be used with FSA.
Open the aircraft.cfg file, find the section headed [brakes], add parking_brake=1
(If there is no such section then you can just add it yourself).
Then you can set the brake using [CTRL]+"." (or assign a button).

G

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:54 pm

From the post in tips and tricks:
CAPFlyer wrote:Seaplane and Helicopter operations are supported by the FlyNET client, however there is one important item that needs to be checked for on ALL aircraft that you intend to use on FlyNET. FlyNET identifies the end of a flight as the application of the Parking Brake. Obviously, aircraft without wheels will not have a parking brake installed (at least in real life). However, because of the requirement, we will need to add a "fake" parking brake to the aircraft in order for FlyNET to be able to register the end of the flight. This process is fairly straightforward. All one needs to do is follow this process -

1) Open Windows Explorer.
2) Browse to your Flight Simulator's "Aircraft" folder.
3) Browse to the aircraft you wish to check for the presence of a Parking Brake (i.e. "Bell_206" for the default Jetranger)
4) Open the file labelled "Aircraft.CFG" with Notepad.
5) Using the Notepad Search Function, search for the following phrase - "parking_brake=1" (without quotes)
6) If you can't find this, then scroll to the end of the file and add the following lines:

[brakes]
parking_brake=1

7) Save the "Aircraft.CFG" file.

Now you can use your helicopter or seaplane with FlyNET.
Note: FSAirlines was previously called FlyNET.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:20 pm

however just adding the parking brake=1 is not all that is needed. you also have to have the effectiveness of the brake. im not on my FS computer right now, so i cant tell you what the exact line is.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Motomad1
Flight Attendant

Post by Motomad1 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:15 am

Is there a possabilty to make it that the parking brake penilty does not apply for helcopters? its not like a Bell 206 will go any were it does not have any wheels or anything.

Or maybe helicopters with now wheels has no parking brake penilty?

Just a suggestion..i dont fly rotors
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:10 am

Just adding the above is all you need to get the parking brakes to work. You do not need to have a line about brake effectiveness. That's only if you want them to actually do something.

The Parking Brake is something to allow us to read the end of a flight properly. Previously the system automatically ended the flight when the brakes were applied, but now it's somewhat more manual, but the desire to ensure that the aircraft is at least "secured" is a good thing, so asking for the parking brake to be applied is a minor issue.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:38 am

ive tried it before and without having the effectiveness line, i couldnt even get the parking brake to turn on in the sim. this happened with over 15 different helicopters and floatplanes that i had downloaded and it was the key to all of them.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:06 am

FS9 or FSX? I've only added the "Parking Brake" line in FS9 on all of my helicopters without a problem.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:38 am

crap, i edited the post before i submitted it and forgot to put back up that its in FSX
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:43 pm

Ahh, that's why. FSX is different than FS9 and those instructions were written for FS9. I haven't tried it for FSX, so I will fix the "Tip" page to differentiate between the two.