Watching Paint Dry

Please report Bugs and Problems here
WIF1073
Flight Attendant

Watching Paint Dry

Post by WIF1073 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:37 pm

Recently I have been experiencing really lengthy delays in FSAirlines web pages loading and with pages loading in the client.

Is there a problem at the server or is it just a traffic issue? If at the server, is there any indication if and when matters might improve?

Cheers

Malcolm
Virtual Widerøe CEO

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Re: Watching Paint Dry

Post by alasizon » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:38 pm

I can claim some responsibility, I have done hidden behind the scenes updates to the wiki. When doing those, it does take up more of the server load than normal.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

G-Bazz
Ticket Agent

Post by G-Bazz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Myself and a few others that I have spoken too have had the same problems to the point where I have had to walk away from FSA, it seems to have been going on a lot this week. Now reading the post I understand that it may be due to updates.

May I make a suggestion that you have an area for notification that will tell us when any live work is being done to the server that may SLooooooooooooooowwww things down. Then at least we know why, saves a lot of annoying frustration. And also vary the time that the work is being done as it always seems to hit evening, just when I am need FSA the most.

I know this may seem a lot to ask but when I have a good pilot that is getting completely racked off with it and is thinking lf leaving as it is has been spoiling his flying this week I am a little concerned as I need all the pilots I can get.......joke aside some notice would go a long way to taking away the frustration.

Many thanks
G-Bazz
Barry Westwood
CEO Magpie Aviation

WIF1073
Flight Attendant

Post by WIF1073 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:24 pm

Exactly Barry ...

... My active pilots have all but disappeared because of the difficulties caused by these slowdowns.
Virtual Widerøe CEO

alasizon

Post by alasizon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:09 am

G-Bazz wrote:Myself and a few others that I have spoken too have had the same problems to the point where I have had to walk away from FSA, it seems to have been going on a lot this week. Now reading the post I understand that it may be due to updates.

May I make a suggestion that you have an area for notification that will tell us when any live work is being done to the server that may SLooooooooooooooowwww things down. Then at least we know why, saves a lot of annoying frustration. And also vary the time that the work is being done as it always seems to hit evening, just when I am need FSA the most.

I know this may seem a lot to ask but when I have a good pilot that is getting completely racked off with it and is thinking lf leaving as it is has been spoiling his flying this week I am a little concerned as I need all the pilots I can get.......joke aside some notice would go a long way to taking away the frustration.

Many thanks
I do try to update the wiki forum when I know it will slow the server down a bit

However, the server is also dealing with a higher load than it used to so that is another reason.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

G-Bazz
Ticket Agent

Post by G-Bazz » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:37 am

As I mentined maybe there should be an area on the main page where it is flagged when work is being done on the server so we can avoid some of the frustration. As for server traffic being a contributer then maybe the team needs to look at server suitability.
G-Bazz
Barry Westwood
CEO Magpie Aviation

WIF1073
Flight Attendant

Post by WIF1073 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:43 pm

alasizon wrote:
However, the server is also dealing with a higher load than it used to so that is another reason.
What is causing the higher load? It looks like the average number of hours flown overall per month is about the same for the past three months (I can't see how to work out the number of flights overall per period though) so it can't be pilot usage can it? Maybe some of the "bells and whistles" like passenger lists could be disabled to reduce the server load?

It would be great to have some feedback about this issue.

Cheers

Malcolm
Virtual Widerøe CEO

alasizon

Post by alasizon » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:46 pm

In my opinion, the increased number of pilots that have found our site (this is a good thing) are also increasing the load as they register. Now, there may be less flights per day in the past month but if you compare it to when it was v1.0.0, its an extreme increase in the amount of flights, VAs and pilots.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

WIF1073
Flight Attendant

Post by WIF1073 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:09 pm

However many pilots are registered, that just sits in the database, surely the load on the server is just data processing and information throughput and so should only be a factor of the number of users actually connected at the time and performing actions which require calculation / table lookups / etc. I assume that table lookups are the main server load (I am a few years away from the IT world now but that used to be the main bottleneck) so has the number of pilots logged in at any one time increased significantly? Is the server load mainly caused by pilots connected directly to FSA or by scripts running from VA websites via the FSA integration system?

Maybe we need to consider some limiting of table sizes, such as a maximum number of flight plans per VA maybe or even actually clearing out all those registered pilots who have not been active in over 90 days but who remain on the system because of the resetting of the base date? Perhaps a limit on the number of scripts that are available on the integration system?

Personally I would be glad to reduce the complexity of my VA's operations if that is what is needed (we have about 1500 flights on the schedule and I have inherited over 200 aircraft in three fleets).

I hope my ignorance is not looking as ridiculous as a "builders cleavage", I am just looking for an argument to stop thoughts of migrating our VA away from FSA.

Cheers

Malcolm
Virtual Widerøe CEO

Motomad1
Flight Attendant

Post by Motomad1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:38 am

I think that is a good idea of clearing VA's that just arnt with us anymore. people who lose interst or just make one for the fun of it then go away. So yer if they havnt be active for more then lets say 150 days or somthing just delete them :lol: .

what do you say admins?

cheers
ImageImage

alasizon

Post by alasizon » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:49 pm

There is already an automatic deletion system in place, if you have been inactive for 90 days, your profile is deleted and if you are the only person in your VA, your VA goes with it.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

WIF1073
Flight Attendant

Post by WIF1073 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:05 pm

alasizon wrote:There is already an automatic deletion system in place, if you have been inactive for 90 days, your profile is deleted and if you are the only person in your VA, your VA goes with it.
Unfortunately, it looks like the server's base date keeps being reset (at the moment the base "last active" date is 6th June) though so many that should be deleted just are not.

As a side point, I would just like to say that I am not disparaging FSA in any way, I am just hoping to highlight a current issue that is causing some problems in using the system. Let's face it FSA is a fantastic system with great features and helpful crew and wow - it's free!

Cheers

Malcolm
Virtual Widerøe CEO

Motomad1
Flight Attendant

Post by Motomad1 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:09 am

Well thats good there is a auto-deleting system in already..

i didnt no that...good to see i guess.
ImageImage