New Airport Populations is confusing

Please report Bugs and Problems here
WIF1073
Flight Attendant

New Airport Populations is confusing

Post by WIF1073 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:02 am

I have just seen the announcement about the new airport populations calculations and I am rather confused.

Please tell me that the figures for population and pax waiting should have commas and are not really decimal points!

Can anyone put my fears to rest? (PLEASE!!)

PS - Can we have the now-defunct airports (like Oslo Fornbeu ENFB) removed from the calculations for the adjacent airfields populations.
Virtual Widerøe CEO

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: New Airport Populations is confusing

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:21 am

First, the decimals are due to the developer's location. In Europe they punctuate opposite of us in the US and Canada. Where here we'd see a comma we see a decimal and where we see a decimal, they see a comma. It's even more confusing with money. :) Joe and Konny are free to change the format (I for one would appreciate it), but as it's the common format in a large portion of our users, I don't see any need to change it unless we make it a user defined setting.

Second, no on the now defunct airports. It would be much too complex to do. I don't think that it's going to affect the numbers sufficiently.

WIF1073
Flight Attendant

Post by WIF1073 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:16 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I did assume it was the decimal/thousands separator variation but just wanted to make sure.

No worries about the now-defunct airports, it was just a suggestion, it is not important.

Thanks again.
Virtual Widerøe CEO

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:35 pm

question, should or are the nearby airports size taken into affect? like like KPIT, there are a few large county airports around it, but mostly small private strips... those strips are all for private use and wouldnt see any "commercial" use even if with cessnas... so would there be limit as to the size of airport that would take away from the larger ones? like say anything under 3000ft runway would just get a set amount and it wouldnt affect any larger airport in the area?
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:04 pm

The airport size is definatly taken into account, a private airport should get only a small fraction the available passengers and the super airport airport right next to it.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.