Anatomy of a bug...

Please report Bugs and Problems here
Brendanair
Ticket Agent

Anatomy of a bug...

Post by Brendanair » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:34 pm

So I've been trying to investigate where I go wrong with these flights. So far, only about half of the flights I complete are successfully uploaded to the server and get counted for my company...

The flights that don't work really don't lend much information as to why they failed. I get all the necessary dings/messages during my flight concerning boarding/taxi/takeoff/cruise, and after landing I hear the dingdong as soon as I touch down. I'll exit the runway, taxi normally to the gate, set the parking brake and minimize FS9 in order to "end flight" in the client. Each time I'll enter a short message, click through next, and then it starts to go differently:

If the flight uploaded successfully, I'll click through next until the welcome screen appears again.

If the flight fails to upload, I'll get a three-choice button menu asking either to view, upload, or delete a flight report. Unfortunately, each time I try to reupload (and I have no clue where the PIREP file is stored, (perhaps fsairlines_report.ini which displays in wordpad as a bunch of characters) the client will turn white for a split second, and return me to the main menu.

I'm going to try another flight tonight, but aside from following the prescription as laid out in the thread about ending your flight (can't find that thread anymore)...

I just noticed there is a new client, so I'll try with that and we'll see how it goes.

Stan
Chief Pilot

Re: Anatomy of a bug...

Post by Stan » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:38 am

The problem with the dash8 series of aircraft may lie with the fact that they are not listed in the aircraft types section.If they are and i cant see them ,make sure the aircraft type in the cfg.file reads DH8C.Hope this helps. :lol:
Yours Stan

Brendanair
Ticket Agent

Post by Brendanair » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:37 pm

I changed the aircraft.cfg file to reflect the appropriate type. You were correct in that it didn't have the ICAO code, but rather a long description. I just did a flight from EDDH-EDDF, and it worked well, was uploaded fine. I'm starting a second flight now (thank god for 4x sim rate) and we'll see how it goes. I'm taking screenshots as I go along, and if the bug rears its head, I'll post an account with screenshots.

By the way, thank you very much for your help!

Brendanair
Ticket Agent

May have found the bug...

Post by Brendanair » Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:06 pm

So I'm currently online flying the EDDF-EDTF flight I had booked originally. I decided to check on the fsairlines.net page to see if the flight tracker was working. Apparently, when I looked at my profile, fleet page, and online flight tracker, the booked flight had cancelled itself, and the website showed my pilot sitting in Frankfurt (EDDF) again, even though I was actively flying an "okayed" flight within the client.

I just rebooked the flight now, we'll see if it successfully uploads when I land! This may be the problem here!

Brendanair
Ticket Agent

Post by Brendanair » Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:25 pm

Well, as expected, the PIREP wasn't accepted. It took me to the "upload flight report screen"

Something with my system of doing things doesn't agree with fsairlines, and I can't see how the program can be so rigid that it is not accepting these reports.

Here are a few screenshots...

Parking brakes set, fueled for the flight...

Booked correctly on the website...

This is what I get when I click on flight info however... this is from several test flights ago, and is not correct!

and then I got this message...

Finally after numerous clicking, the correct flight came up.
Setting the fuel (there is a reference to a "compare" button on the newbie walkthrough, but that button does not exist on the client.

Third party programs being run at the time...

This is where I think the bug occurs. Sitting in line for takeoff- when you fly with AI at large airports, sometimes taxi time can be up to 25 minutes! somehow, the fsairlines server must think you gave up and cancel the flight. Bizarre!

While sitting, I confirmed the client still thinks I'm taxiing...

After landing in EDTF, I set the parking brake and shut down the engines. Opened the door on the aircraft as well...

Sometime during the cruise portion, I check on the fSairlines website to see if the flight is being monitored on the tracker, and find nothing. Curious, I checked on my VA Profile and found out that the flight was either cancelled, or disappeared in the system. The plane showed available at the origin airport, as well as the pilot.

As you can see, parking brakes were set, and the end flight button is visible. I submitted a comment as well, but the screen never updated to the first one- it went to the upload flight dialogue.

I keep trying to upload it, but receive no confirmation if it was uploaded...obviously not since the website never updates the flight. I wish the client had some sort of end-user way to notify of what was done wrong... like "please wait... okay, press the end flight button now!"

PCD001
Flight Attendant

Post by PCD001 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi,
Well that looks quite comprehensive, I just hope none of your addons are interfering with the FSAirlines clients ability to access FSUIPC and FS.
Anyway, what I would do is, email the debug.out file in the FSAirlines folder to support@fsairlines.net and they may be able to see where the problem is.

BTW I think you want to put [img]...[/img] between your signature as its currently just showing as a clickable link.
Bob
----
The "New" Cheap Fuel Operator . & . 'T' Tail Fan !!

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:09 pm

In addition, try turning off the flight tracker on the FSAirlines client. When you start the client, there is a box that says "Options". Try unchecking it, restarting the client, and then see if you still have the issue. I know quite a few pilots who use AI and FS ATC (although I don't) and have never had an issue. My gut feeling says that you have a less-than-perfect internet connection (as a lot of people have) and the client gets hung up when it looses connection to the server. If the Flight Tracker is off, then the only times it tries to connect to the FSAirlines server is when you first log on to get your flight information and when you submit your PIREP at the end of the flight.

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:39 am

Hi,

In the Client window you can see the button 'Get Fuel from FS'. This is like the old 'compare' mode of fuelling where you refuel your aircraft manually in FS before going to the client window. The client will read the fuel you already have loaded in FS when you select refuel by this button.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

Brendanair
Ticket Agent

Post by Brendanair » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:53 pm

I turned off the flight tracker in the options, and did two really quick flights... it appears to have worked.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:01 am

Great to hear!