Taxi speed penalty during take-off run

Please report Bugs and Problems here
CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Taxi speed penalty during take-off run

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:18 pm

The problem here is that the system can't detect when you're on a runway. If it could, we wouldn't have to figure out alternatives. There are ways around EVERY rule we have. In fact, if one wanted to, they could run down the taxiway, takeoff, land, and then continue taxiing without getting a penalty as long as they don't set the parking brake or hit the "end flight" button and avoid the taxi penalty. Will they do it? Probably not, but it's still possible. My point is that something has to be done that will prevent false accusations of speeding in 99% of the situations where it is occurring.

XR219

Post by XR219 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:21 pm

Chaps, I may be barking way up the wrong tree here, but I find this odd that sometimes folk are getting it and sometimes not. Can I ask which airport tose of you who have had the problem are flying from.... maybe if we have a flight from that airport I could check it out and see if I get the same?

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:31 pm

I flew out of Madrid for this one, but I've gotten it all during the ALPHA and reported it as such. I was told it'd be fixed, but at least for me it hasn't. I'm getting ready to try another out of Sao Paulo.

XR219

Post by XR219 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:37 pm

I'll see if we have anything out of madrid Chris and give it a go. Is it stock scenery mate?

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:01 pm

I'm using a payware addon, but I tried disabling it on the second attempt (took three tries to finish) and got it anyway.

I just departed Sao Paolo and didn't get it, so it may be an airport-by-airport issue.

XR219

Post by XR219 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:20 pm

Hi Chris, yep, thats what I'm beginning to think. I know FSA can't detect where the runway is, but what if it was detecting you on the ground when your actually in the air? Out of curiosity, you weren't flying a tail dragger when you were dinged were you?

And it may just be me, but I haven't seen anyone using FSX with this issue :?:

DaveB
Flight Attendant

Post by DaveB » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:11 am

Ben..

I only ever see takeoff when I'm in the air with FS9 WinXP SP2. I think it's more that you've taken off than are 'taking off' if you get my drift. Does this mean that you see the text 'Takeoff' when you're on your takeoff roll??

ATB

DaveB

XR219

Post by XR219 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:35 am

No Dave, I'm fine.My thinking is (and I'm trying to remember back to my FS9 days here) Lets say you have an addon afcad that is lower that the alititude of the default. You takeoff fine, but after your a few feet of the deck, you actually pass through the default afcad which the client sees (for some reason) and as a result, you'd be speeding if that makes some bizzare logic. From what i can tell its only FS9 and Only at non stock airports? or am I wrong? I can't see any other way. I'd love to see if the guys who have had the problem at a particular airport can make it happen again at the same airport. Obviously, their ratings would be shot, but if we could get agreement from the fsa mods that their rating would be reinstated as they were testing?

If its something that can be repeated diliberately at the same airport with multiple aircraft types, then there is indeed something airport specific, and as the client can't detect if your on the runway it can only be altitude. :?:

DaveB
Flight Attendant

Post by DaveB » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:47 am

Well.. that is a possibility I suppose but that said, it is something related to FSA. Has the FSA world been created IAW FSX or FS9.. both of which are different?? As the database came directly from FlyNET, I'm guessing that what is contained on the new client is FS9 orientated so logically.. those having problems now should be those using FSX not FS9.. if that makes sense. There are too many things about the new client that we don't know but all things considered.. it should be the new sim not the old one taking the hits.

It could be argued I suppose that some data may have been entered on FlyNET to reflect airports in FSX and in this case, those suffering this problem would be FS9 users. Flip the coin. If users now seeing the problem have flown the route time and time again in FS9 (or FSX) and never experienced it with FlyNET.. it would point to FSA. Too many variables for me at this time of the night :lol:

ATB

DaveB

XR219

Post by XR219 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:49 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Indeed, the only variable I'm considering now is bed :lol:
See you all in the morning chaps. Fingers crossed we can sort it out :D

MMattyK
Captain

Post by MMattyK » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:35 pm

Hiya Gang,
regarding this problem and info request, I'm using FS9/win XP combination, and I always use real weather. I do have global scenery SE installed and also use FSNav. Th aircraft I mainly fly is the PDMG 737-800 with winglets, and use TO-2 to get airborne, rotate at 142 Kts, and my main hub is Brussels (EBBR), though the problem has also occurred at Arlanda (ESSA), which is the only route I have flown as yet. I do rolling take-offs when available as I often get t/o clearance before being lined up on the runway.
Is it possible that part of the issue is the same with the aircraft still rolling issue, in that it is the TAS that is being monitored for taxi speeds instead of GS?

DaveB
Flight Attendant

Post by DaveB » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:42 pm

Hi Mat..

I'm also on an FS9/WinXP SP2/FSNav combination though I've not used real weather with this client. I've flown EGCC to EBBR on v1.0.0 using a Trident 2 but not since v1.0.2. Will give that a go again this afternoon using ActiveSky6 :D

ATB

DaveB

DaveB
Flight Attendant

Post by DaveB » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:54 pm

Ding-Dong! :D

Hi Mat..

Just completed EGCC-EBBR using a Trident 2, ActiveSky6.5 and FSNav with no errors. However.. I was mighty surprised to see the client was recording IAS (in this case windspeed) when I was on the ground at Manchester. W/S there was 096/05 and watching the client.. my speed while stopped with the parking brake on was going between 3 and 5kts :shock: With this in mind.. after landing I rolled to a position at Brussels where the IAS was reading 0.0kts (Shift+Z) then reduced the sim to see the client to confirm it too indicated 0kts. At this point, I hit the parking brake and ended the flight.

On the strength of this, it very much looks like you can still pick up a taxi overspeed using real weather unless something more clever is going on. The client (v1.0.2) indicates IAS on the flight progress page whether you are on the ground or in the air :wink:

ATB

DaveB

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Post by IslandBum » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:34 pm

Ben/Dave

I think you gents are on the right track -- Im using Scotflight scenery and in five flights have only been dinged once (my own fault) BUT - I get the start flight "chime" on every flight at about 100AGL after takeoff - which to me would indicate
that the new client is sensing something at that altitude. admittedly Ive been flying the stock DC3 the whole time and
Im using FS9/XP2 combo

Also as I stated elsewhere - Ive been flying with my son using the CC Cv580 on US freeware scenery and have Had NO problems
at all I get the client start chime usually as soon as the aircraft is on the takeoff roll -- All of the scenery with one exception is NON standard freeware (ORD/LCK/YIP/SDF) even the Afcad I built myself for Fort Payne Alabama works just fine.

I am begining to think the problem relates to the client and which OS you have on your computer. It does seem NOT to like
Vista

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC

XR219

Post by XR219 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi Leif,

I don't think its a Vista problem mate, but something specific to FS9. I've had no such problems with Vista x64 (so long as I run it as Administrator)