DC-C PAX vs Cargo discrepancy

Please report Bugs and Problems here
Durango
Ticket Agent

DC-C PAX vs Cargo discrepancy

Post by Durango » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:31 am

hi all,

I think I found a discrepancy in the DC-3 planes the PAX vs Cargo version, they both have the same exact:

DC3 - PAX vs. DC3 - Cargo

Cargo Space 5952 lbs (2700 kg) vs 5952 lbs (2700 kg)
Maximum package size 441 lbs vs 441 lbs

which unless I am wrong, doesn't seem to make sense, because the Cargo version could clearly carry more cargo and a bigger size of packages than the PAX version

the only difference listed on the comparison page is the PAX can carry passengers, while the Cargo cannot

now, I don't claim to be an expert, but the same principle applies to any other PAX vs Cargo converted, starting with the famous basic Cessna 208 and up to the airliner jets, and everything in between, and so far I haven't seen such a discrepancy as I noticed it with the DC3 class... (I didn't check all the planes tho'... hehe)

yes, I know it's an old workhorse, and not so flashy or fancy, and not many are using it, but still, I was planning to buy the DC3 Cargo version for the fun of flying it, when I realized it doesn't seem accurate

so, is this how it's supposed to be, or the DC3 Cargo version plane needs to be edited?

I'm just bringing it to your attention, as it may need some adjustments

as a side note unrelated to the DC3, but I don't want to start a new topic

what happened with the option to purchase the AN-225?

when I joined and didn't have much money, I clearly saw the option to purchase the AN-225 Myra, but now, it's not there anymore

I know that only one was built in the world, and I think we can all assume no other one will ever be built again

but still FSA it's a fictional simulation and we have the add-on to fly it, so why is not available on
Aircraft orders (for out-of-production aircraft)
* Ameristar Consortium * Sky Is The Limit *

If you are looking for a virtual airline operating similar to a real-life airline, why not join us...

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: DC-C PAX vs Cargo discrepancy

Post by joefremont » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:22 pm

On the AN-225, no you did not see it before, we have never allowed unrestricted purchase of it. Since its a unique aircraft its classified as 'special use' and airlines that qualify can request one through a support ticket. But you should read this for more information.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9525

On your comment
but still FSA it's a fictional simulation and we have the add-on to fly it, so why is not available on
Aircraft orders (for out-of-production aircraft
This goes very much against our philosophy of 'keeping it real', we do not allow fictional aircraft and we only allow aircraft in the platform that have actually entered service. While we do make an exception for military transports that were marketed to airlines (again read that other topic I posted above) we only allow VA's to use aircraft that actually entered service with airlines.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:31 pm

BTW, I wish you had not combined two different questions in the same topic, two separate topics would have been better.

As for the DC-3 and C208 questions where we had both cargo and pax versions, both these were added at time before we allowed changing seat configurations, now they probably could be combined but until now nobody has complained. Both are aircraft where we assumed you could quickly pull seats out and convert to a cargo aircraft so that is why the pax versions have the same cargo capacity.

So why would anybody buy a DC-3 cargo compared to a DC-3 pax? simpler if you know you never want to carry passengers, but nobody is forcing you to buy either version, I would probably just by the pax version.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Durango
Ticket Agent

Post by Durango » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:18 pm

sorry, I didn't realize the AN-225 is such an important topic, otherwise, I would've started a separate thread for that one

I would research more about your policies regarding the AN-225 and how to request it as I think I would eventually like to have it in operation in my little airline

regarding the DC-3 PAX vs Cargo, yes, I understand that the seats could eventually be removed from the PAX version, as such converting the plane into a cargo freighter

but even so, the Cargo version would be able to carry more cargo and bigger size of packages than the PAX version, and for accuracy purposes, I guess this data should be posted

if I buy the PAX version and remove the seats to convert it to cargo hauling, how would the system know how much extra cargo to load compared to the PAX version?

I would specifically buy the Cargo version, and not the PAX, and then convert it to cargo by removing the seats, assuming the cargo version is, or was, offered by the manufacturer, thus making it better, and more efficient than what I would do ad hock, by transforming a PAX into a Cargo in my little maintenance facility

also, I would buy the Cargo version directly, and not the PAX, to base it, and use it in a location where I plan to do only cargo hauling from the start, so why would I complicate my operations by buying a PAX version, only to convert it to Cargo version

but, I assume we could edit the plane info data, once we reach that level that allows us to do that, to correct those discrepancies - I'm not at that level yet, so I'm still learning how it works

but, my main concern was accuracy, how the system knows in the Cargo version to load more cargo and bigger size of packages, if the system will see PAX and Cargo as being identical in regards to cargo space and package size

or am I going too deep? the system doesn't do such fine calculations?

I am assuming that the algorithms behind the mechanics do such calculations in the background
* Ameristar Consortium * Sky Is The Limit *

If you are looking for a virtual airline operating similar to a real-life airline, why not join us...