Technical Stop Problem

Please report Bugs and Problems here
AAL88
Ticket Agent

Technical Stop Problem

Post by AAL88 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:54 am

I created a route: PANC - KBWI for the B737-800BCF.

I entered a technical stop in the "Technical Stops" field: KMSP

I landed at KMSP, ended the flight, as instructed by support, however, the FS client returned a message that said it had failed to upload the report.

I was told that the FS client would automatically specify that I was now at KMSP instead of my originating airport, PANC. However - FS airlines still showed me at PANC.

Can somebody PLEASE explain to me how this technical stop is supposed to work? It's so dang confusing and I'm losing revenue left and right and it's a waste of time! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Technical Stop Problem

Post by joefremont » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:43 pm

haven't we had at least a dozen messages going back and forth on the support tickets on this same subject?

I think you are mixing two different things. That the client is saying it is unable to upload the report is separate from the technical stops issue. The client is trying to upload the flight data and for some reason the server is not accepting it and I am not sure why yet.

Let me explain the technical stop, but first let me go over the diversion.

Lets say you started your flight and at some point you realize you don't have enough fuel and you need to land somewhere else. So the procedure would be to push the 'divert' button, land at a near by airport and end the flight as you would any other. The system will then record the flight as a divert and reset your booking so you are departing from the airport you landed at.

The 'technical stop' is a diversion that is planned in advance, if you land at an airport listed as a technical stop the system knows this was a planned diversion and you don't have to push the 'divert' button, apart from that there is no difference between a divert and a technical stop.

The key is you must end the flight when you land for your diversion or technical stop.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

CRGaming
Ticket Agent

Post by CRGaming » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:27 pm

How do you set up a technical stop? Can you book a flight from A-->C but stop at B to refuel ?

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:49 pm

When you create a route there is a field called "Technical stops", just enterer a list of airport ICAO codes you want to include as technical stops.

AAL88
Ticket Agent

Post by AAL88 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:09 am

joefremont wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:43 pm
haven't we had at least a dozen messages going back and forth on the support tickets on this same subject?

I think you are mixing two different things. That the client is saying it is unable to upload the report is separate from the technical stops issue. The client is trying to upload the flight data and for some reason the server is not accepting it and I am not sure why yet.

Let me explain the technical stop, but first let me go over the diversion.

Lets say you started your flight and at some point you realize you don't have enough fuel and you need to land somewhere else. So the procedure would be to push the 'divert' button, land at a near by airport and end the flight as you would any other. The system will then record the flight as a divert and reset your booking so you are departing from the airport you landed at.

The 'technical stop' is a diversion that is planned in advance, if you land at an airport listed as a technical stop the system knows this was a planned diversion and you don't have to push the 'divert' button, apart from that there is no difference between a divert and a technical stop.

The key is you must end the flight when you land for your diversion or technical stop.
I'm only posting it in here because you instructed me to post it in the forum due to the involvement of my support tickets. I will respond to your reply in this response, and tell you that the technical stop listed in the flight plan is NOT recognized when I land at the airport that is listed in the flight plan AFTER I press the END FLIGHT button. Matter of fact, I don't even get the opportunity to press the END FLIGHT - the error pops up about not being able to upload the report. So - possibly after you find out why the report isn't uploading, THEN the technical stop will probably work - that's what I'm thinking. But - Joe - THANK you, man! THANK you! You have been a tremendous help to me and I'm thankful for your patience during all of this - I really do! I'm a platinum member, my friend - a paying customer. Obviously, I LOVE your product. :) :) :) Take care, my friend - we'll get there.

AAL88
Ticket Agent

Post by AAL88 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:14 am

joefremont wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:49 pm
When you create a route there is a field called "Technical stops", just enterer a list of airport ICAO codes you want to include as technical stops.
Give it a shot - and see if it works for you. It does NOT work for me - at least - NOT yet.

IF it doesn't work - on your way from A to C, and you want to land at B to refuel - as you get close to B, press the DIVERT button on the FS Client - it will ask you for the airport ICAO, KLAX for example, enter that in, land at KLAX, refuel, and it should automatically change your aircraft location and YOUR location as a pilot to KLAX.

In SimBrief, you would create a flight from A to B, and then from B to C, vs from A to C since SimBrief might squak at you. Just use the same ZFW from FS Airlines Flight Plan.

I hope I'm right!

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:43 pm

Technical stops seams to be a feature that is causing lots of confusion, should I remove it?

From the pilots stand point we could just always force them to push the 'divert' button. What it really allows is that when you create a route it can be longer than the aircrafts maximum range of the aircraft because the system knows your planning on stopping and refueling.

Also when you create a flight say from super airports in Europe and the eastern United States, if you book directly with a tech stop in Goose bay or Gander the system will calculate the payload as if its between super airports rather than super to low population area and low population area to super.

AAL88
Ticket Agent

Post by AAL88 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:43 pm

If it doesn't work properly, I would definitely remove the option.

An example - I'm flying from KBWI to PANC.

I am using the "DIVERT" button and have entered KMSP as the airport I plan on landing at.

BUT - the FS Client still says "Destination: PANC"

So - that's something that could/should be resolved, if you're able to do that - show some confirmation that the "Divert" is initiated.

We shall see though - I will keep you posted.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:58 pm

AAL88 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:43 pm

I am using the "DIVERT" button and have entered KMSP as the airport I plan on landing at.

So - that's something that could/should be resolved, if you're able to do that - show some confirmation that the "Divert" is initiated.

I never considered changing the listed destination because you push the divert button, and that by itself does not mean it's not working, the final destination is still the one listed as the destination in the route. If you set an airport as a technical stop, you land there and it records the flight as 'wrong airport' then you can say it does not work, has that happened? If it has not not then saying it does not work properly is a bit premature.

CRGaming
Ticket Agent

Post by CRGaming » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:24 am

joefremont wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:49 pm
Ok lol, I can't create routes since i'm not high enough in my airline.

AAL88
Ticket Agent

Post by AAL88 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:06 am

joefremont wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 11:58 pm
AAL88 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:43 pm

I never considered changing the listed destination because you push the divert button, and that by itself does not mean it's not working, the final destination is still the one listed as the destination in the route. If you set an airport as a technical stop, you land there and it records the flight as 'wrong airport' then you can say it does not work, has that happened? If it has not not then saying it does not work properly is a bit premature.
Oh - its NOT premature at all, because it doesn't work - NOT with the planned stop entered into the Technical Stop field - and I'd be more than happy to record a video of it NOT working.

Today, I did "divert", entered KMSP, landed at KMSP, ended flight, it recorded me AT KMSP, refueld, and continued my merry ol' way. EXCEPT, it docked me $4Million - "why"? Probably because I diverted the flight.

I personally think, entering it into the FS Airlines Flight plan as a planned stop, and you stop at that airport, KMSP, it should NOT dock you at all.

But - I've done this several times, following your instructions, and it does NOT work. That is not premature. Seems pretty straight forward to me.

AAL88
Ticket Agent

Post by AAL88 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:11 am

Also - if it doesn't work, and I have to use the DIVERT button, and it DOCKS me quite a bit, then, frankly, it's not worth doing flights that require you to stop and refuel or whatever, correct? NOT if I lose "millions". Why should I be docked if I get the packages there on time?

I AM loving the game though, Joe! You got a cool product here - I DO love it, man! Take your time on it. Please - I don't want you to be rushed or anything. I'm just pointing out as I go. :) :D :D :D :D :D :D

AAL88
Ticket Agent

Post by AAL88 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:46 am

And the results:

First - some past flights and their earnings:

KBWI to KLAX 2022nm = $46,099,000
KLAX to KBWI 2022nm = $42,858,000
KBWI - PANC 3327nm:

LEG1: KBWI - KMSP = ($2,336,000)
LEG2: KMSP - PANC = $13,965,500

KBWI | PANC NET EARNINGS: $11,629,500

Bottom line? NOT worth it! Long hauls that require technical stops, diversion stops, or any kind of stop, is not worth it.

Solution? Get a bigger plane... :) :) :)

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:09 am

AAL88 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:11 am
Also - if it doesn't work, and I have to use the DIVERT button, and it DOCKS me quite a bit, then, frankly, it's not worth doing flights that require you to stop and refuel or whatever, correct? NOT if I lose "millions". Why should I be docked if I get the packages there on time?

I AM loving the game though, Joe! You got a cool product here - I DO love it, man! Take your time on it. Please - I don't want you to be rushed or anything. I'm just pointing out as I go. :) :D :D :D :D :D :D
Its not docking you, your just looking at one part of a incomplete flight, one where fuel was paid for but the revenue from passengers and normal cargo is not received yet. Once you get to your destination then all revenue is received and your made whole,

You also can't compare the two flights, one where you loaded 20,000 kg of packages and one where you had only 3,000 kg of packages.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:58 pm

In regards to the economics of doing a technical stop is something you need to determine for the route. The example you are using:

KBWI -> KMSP -> PANC

Is not what would you would think of as a typical 'technical stop' route, while KBWI and PANC are both 'International' airports, KMSP is a super airport. Typically you would do a technical when the distance between the departure and arrival airports is far enough that you can't carry a full payload and the chosen refueling airport is too small to justify a route on its own.

Best example I have of a good use of a 'technical stop is Gander airport in Newfoundland Canada (CYQX) on flights between Europe and the eastern United States. It would not make sense to have a stand alone flight between London and Newfoundland, the town of Gander only has a population of about 12k, but by stoping there aircraft can reduce the fuel they need to carry leaving more capacity for revenue generating payload.

KMSP (Minneapolis-St Paul Intl) is one of the worlds great airports and a direct flight from any place on the world to there would be a viable route.

In todays world technical stops are uncommon, aircraft usually have the range to go where they need and there are plenty of places where you can make connecting flights to get where you need to go. You may have booked a flight from SFO to NYC and there is only one stop, but as far as your airlines computer system is concerned those are two separate flights, they just happen to share the same flight number and are using the same aircraft.