Different ICAO's for same airfield

Please report Bugs and Problems here
DVA751
Ticket Agent

Different ICAO's for same airfield

Post by DVA751 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:02 pm

Hi Joe got a question: I flew from EHAM to EGDG/EGHQ I used charter and booked EGDG once landed it said wrong airport while it was the right airport i only booked with the wrong icao cause i was looking at flightsim commander when booking. Is there a way that in cases like this that flight booking is not possible with the flightsim commander icao ?

Hans

Cat
Chief Pilot

Re: Different ICAO's for same airfield

Post by Cat » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:59 am

This is an ongoing issue and will always be an ongoing issue within FSAirlines as we cater to a variety of simulator formats that span almost two decades. Please check out this video on how to keep from getting the dreaded "wrong airport landing". Happy Flying!

https://youtu.be/KDcH4NBow04

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:42 am

Its hard enough trying to keep track of the sims, expecting us to keeping track of third party apps like flightsim commander is too much.

If you would have looked at the airport information page for EGDG in our system, you would have seen that the airport using that code is only in (Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS). That should have given you a clue that you need to do some more search before doing the flight.

Also in the website go to Database -> Airports and search for that code, then you would have seen both EGDG and EGHQ and you should have been able to figure out which code to book/fly to.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

DVA751
Ticket Agent

Post by DVA751 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:04 am

I understand the problem between the two systems the only thing if fsa is using eghq instead of egdg why is the system accepting egdg when booking and not giving an error

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:53 pm

Because EGDG does exist in both FS2020 and FSA - as "Manor Farm Airstrip, Collingbourne Kingston, United Kingdom

DVA751
Ticket Agent

Post by DVA751 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:59 pm

I understand the problem EGHQ does not exist in FSX and Flightsim commander guess if i ran into the same problem book the one given in fsa and fly to given airport by FSX. I will give it a try and see what the system does.

Hans

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 pm

Remember, FSAirlines tracks position by lattitude/longitude NOT by any specific airport code in your simulator! So as long as you take off and land in the same places, your simulator can call EGHQ anything it wants - in this case EGDG in FSX, and it won't matter to FSA as long as your aircraft is in the correct position on the planet.

This is why we tell pilots over and over PLEASE USE THE DATABASE! It is a very helpful tool. Left lower margin, under Database, click Airports. Then type in your airport in question and viola! All the pertinent data you need is available.

BOOK to/from airport codes in FSAirlines
FLY to/from airport codes in your simulator AFTER VERIFYING your intended departure/destinations are the same physical locations (lat/long) as in FSAirlines.

Many pilots submit tickets saying they cannot fly a flight because the Client says they are at the wrong airport. This is because they did not VERIFY their actual physical location and just assumed the airport code in their simulator is the same as the one in FSAirlines.

There is a really good website map/tool that can help you in this as well: https://fsxmap.com/
If you like it and use it a lot, please throw Tommy a donation as he does this for a hobby and any little support is always appreciated.