Version 2 XML interface.

Information about the VA integration pack
joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Version 2 XML interface.

Post by joefremont » Sat May 29, 2021 7:21 pm

Hi Flyers. Today I am releasing as beta version 2 of the XML interface. The big changes in this version are:

The official documentation is here:
https://wiki.fsairlines.net/index.php/XML-Interface-v2

Change from domain registration to API keys.
- This is self service, you don't have to wait for an admin to give it. You can access this from the page where you update your VA settings.

Rate limits added.
- The limits are based on how many premium accounts your VA has, 30000 calls per day for each platinum account and 6000 calls per day for each gold account. Also for each hour you are limited to 2500 calls for each platinum account and 500 calls for each gold account.

Json output format added.
- There are some who have said XML is obsolete, so a JSON format option is now added.

Output properly supports UTF-8 character set.
- Version 1 did not encode property for UTF-8 but I did not want to change anything as those who are reading expect it to be the way it is, but in version 2 its been fixed to handle it correctly.

Additional functions for packages added.
- Your not going to be able to read the list of packages from every airport or load packages onto aircraft using these functions but you will be able get airport summaries (within your rate limits) and see packages loaded on your aircraft and airport centers. Documentation of these is still pending.

The rate limits are needed as there a few airlines that are really over using the current interface, at least one VA is making over 90,000 calls per day. But over 90% of all VA's using the current interface would not be impacted by this limit. For now the V1 interface is not limited, but when the beta period for v2 is done I will be putting the limits on that as well.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

brazvo
Ticket Agent

Re: Version 2 XML interface.

Post by brazvo » Mon May 31, 2021 3:26 pm

Oh, such a great new! Thanks really much Joe.

Bruno

nichtDanger
Ticket Agent

Post by nichtDanger » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:46 pm

This is awesome! Thanks a lot!

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:56 pm

I just did an update to the interface code.

the bookFlight function now works.

There was a bug where when using json format some of keys in the data objects were in a mixed upper/lower case. They should always be in lower case, except whey they represent an airport code.

This is now deployed.

joseramonpuga
Ticket Agent

Post by joseramonpuga » Thu May 19, 2022 8:13 am

First of all, let me congratulate on all your effors made to improve this fun tool that help us enjoy flying even more.
I would like to ask and comment on the getAirportData function of the VA integration interface.
We are trying to adjust our flights timetable in our VA in order to land during local time daylight at VFR airports. In order for that, we thought we could use the ILS data from the airports to pull apart IFR vs VFR airports.
On a post
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9575&p=46022&hilit= ... ILS#p46022
it was suggested to get:
getAirportNav: To show runways information (Runway, Length, Surface, ILS ID, ILS Freq, ILS Hdg)

but on
https://wiki.fsairlines.net/index.php/XML-Interface-v2

the information regarding ILS is not included.

please, could you confirm.
Do you have plans to include this in the future?
or, there is another way arround we could diferentiate airports in such way?

Thank you for your great job.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:37 am

I think I have left this go long enough, time to make it official, the V2 XML interface is now official and is no longer beta. I have decided to not shut the own one down completely but am going to turn off all functions that require a username and password in V1 and also rate limit it as we do with V2 interface.

To make it easier I have increased the rate limit 5x from original so it won't be as much a burden.