Preighters

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Preighters

Post by joefremont » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:18 pm

I have gotten a number of requests for those who want to A320's into cargo aircraft and we have declined it because as far as we know, no A320's have gone through the full P2F conversion yet (while A321's have).

One pilot shared this link with me https://simpleflying.com/royal-brunei-a ... freighter/ the headline of which is "Royal Brunei Converts An A320neo". On digging into it, following the links and reading carefully I believe this was not a full freighter conversion, which involves new cargo doors, reinforced floors with systems for moving cargo and removing all the windows, but a "Preighter" conversion where passenger aircraft have there seats removed so cargo can be put into the passenger compartment. Here is an image:

In the era of Covid some airlines have even carried cargo in the main compartment without removing the seats as can be seen here:

The question is should we at FSA do something to support this?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

dchutch
Rampie

Re: Preighters

Post by dchutch » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:10 am

I vote yes, but I'll be fully transparent in saying that pilots from our VA are part of this request.

I guess I'd like to understand any cons to implementing this decision, if there are any?

pilotguide
Ticket Agent

Post by pilotguide » Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:52 pm

If we are going for realism then I say definitely yes. Conversions are common in aviation. If there is a way to utilize an aircraft to help it maintain profitability then companies are generally interested. It seems with COVID out in the world airlines are doing all they can to keep cash flow going. Rather than having an 320neo sitting unused it is better to be in service. So it makes sense to convert aircraft to cargo.

pilotguide
Ticket Agent

Post by pilotguide » Thu Aug 12, 2021 11:05 pm

Just add to my previous post... I think in this situation where a cargo A321 might hold 28tonnes that a converted neo might be down closer to 22tonnes. So there would be a loss just based on the conversion.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:46 am

One issue is you can’t put the same sort of packages in the cabin as you can in the lower hold. No cargo door and you have to protect the interior of the ac. Reminds me of something I read about the beluga and 747lcf, while both can carry very large things in there big cargo compartment, they can’t carry general cargo there, that has to go in the lower hold that still remains from there original designs.

Another reason why we have not is that the problems the aviation industry has had with COVID is not an issue in the fsa world
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

pilotguide
Ticket Agent

Post by pilotguide » Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:00 pm

Fair enough. I guess maybe we have to wait for a replacement for the A320neo. Seems like when the neo hit the line is the time when cargo carriers started major conversions of the A320 to cargo only. Time will tell.