Fleet Management

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Fleet Management

Post by BVU-951 » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:25 pm

Joe,
I really would like to control what fleets an individual can use, without having to create a unique rank.

We have 24 fleets at various locations around the globe, each having a similar set of aircraft.

i want to be able to assign a fleet to a fleet manager without having to create 24 different ranks, and the same for pilots.

At present that would take 48 ranks and if we wanted pilots of a different rank that would be 72 ranks.

Hope you can help
Alan BVG-951

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Fleet Management

Post by joefremont » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:43 pm

Been trying to think of a way to implement this that is not as complicated as the system you are trying to avoid. Only useful idea I had was to assign a pilot to one (and only one) fleet, and while those airlines who create a fleet per pilot would find that useful, I can see many who would not. I had a couple of other ideas but they would require a total overhaul of the rank system, and in the end might be too difficult for everyone to manage.

I do admit, creating too many ranks within an airline was never something I would have thought would be a problem.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:57 pm

There have been some other discussions on permission updates, including adding finer permissions controls on pilot management. But I had a brain wave and though I would put it out.

First on the permissions where you can assign them 'By Fleet' we could add a new option 'Assigned' so they could do that permission if they were assigned to that fleet. We would then give the ability to assign a pilot to a number of fleets in the VA.

The 'Handle Pilots' permission would be split into

- Accept Pilots
- Kick Pilots
- Assign Type Ratings
- Fleet Assignments

I would also like to rework the 'Allow usage of fleet aircraft' section to work like all the other permissions that can be 'By Fleet'. Right now the way the 'allow usage of aircraft' works is that its stored as a negative value, meaning it records the fleets your NOT allowed to fly, so if new fleets are added all pilots get that fleet by default. But it should be the other way around, if new fleets are added and the VA is restricting by fleet then the pilot would have to be granted access.

The first three permissions would be global to the VA but Fleet assignments could be limited by fleet or if assigned to fleet. This would allow a fleet manager who is assigned to the fleet could assign other pilots to their fleet, but it could be interesting if a manager assigns to there fleet someone who is a fleet manager of another fleet, they would then also have fleet manager permission to that fleet also.

Just saying it could be interesting.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi Joe, yes that would bring the code more in line with how the type ratings work. When an airline buys a new type, it is by default NO to all ranks and pilots.

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:41 pm

joefremont wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:57 pm
There have been some other discussions on permission updates, including adding finer permissions controls on pilot management. But I had a brain wave and though I would put it out.

First on the permissions where you can assign them 'By Fleet' we could add a new option 'Assigned' so they could do that permission if they were assigned to that fleet. We would then give the ability to assign a pilot to a number of fleets in the VA.

- Accept Pilots
- Kick Pilots
- Assign Type Ratings
- Fleet Assignments

I would also like to rework the 'Allow usage of fleet aircraft' section to work like all the other permissions that can be 'By Fleet'. Right now the way the 'allow usage of aircraft' works is that its stored as a negative value, meaning it records the fleets your NOT allowed to fly, so if new fleets are added all pilots get that fleet by default. But it should be the other way around, if new fleets are added and the VA is restricting by fleet then the pilot would have to be granted access.

The first three permissions would be global to the VA but Fleet assignments could be limited by fleet or if assigned to fleet. This would allow a fleet manager who is assigned to the fleet could assign other pilots to their fleet, but it could be interesting if a manager assigns to there fleet someone who is a fleet manager of another fleet, they would then also have fleet manager permission to that fleet also.

That would work perfect in our va, thanks Joe you are a star, and thanks for all the time and effort you put in to FSAirlines.

One more thing I would request is to change the word "Fleet" to "Hub" , my reasoning for this is that an Airline has one fleet that operates from several different Hubs.

I know some VA's are trying to run their VA as a group of VA's so the term fleet would be more suited to them, but I don't think FSAirlines was set up to do that, we have tried running like that and end up with even more fleets as each new VA ask to operate from more than one location.

Alan BVG951

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:23 pm

Most of the major airlines in operation use a hub-and-spoke network to route their plane traffic. The words "hub" and "spoke" create a pretty vivid image of how this system works. A hub is a central airport that flights are routed through, and spokes are the routes that planes take out of the hub airport. Most major airlines have multiple hubs. They claim that hubs allow them to offer more flights for passengers.

This is a quote from how things work

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:09 pm

I have a number of pilots who think this is a good idea, and are looking forward to having a bit of friendly competition between the fleets. I know Joe is very busy and we will just have to wait patiently.

OutlawCargo-Jarrod
Ticket Agent

Post by OutlawCargo-Jarrod » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:26 am

I think this would be benefical aswell!!
It's Fine Airlines

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:19 pm

By having this feature would also make the automatic ranking system work properly.

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:35 pm

BVU-951 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:41 pm
joefremont wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:57 pm

- Accept Pilots
- Kick Pilots
- Assign Type Ratings
- Fleet Assignments

That would work perfect in our va, thanks Joe you are a star, and thanks for all the time and effort you put in to FSAirlines.

One more thing I would request is to change the word "Fleet" to "Hub" , my reasoning for this is that an Airline has one fleet that operates from several different Hubs.

I know some VA's are trying to run their VA as a group of VA's so the term fleet would be more suited to them, but I don't think FSAirlines was set up to do that, we have tried running like that and end up with even more fleets as each new VA ask to operate from more than one location.

Alan BVG951
How soon do you think before this can be set up ?

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 pm

BVU-951 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Be patient, it will be done when its done.

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 pm

joefremont wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:23 pm
BVU-951 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:35 pm

Be patient, it will be done when its done.
I appreciate that Joe, but my age determines how much patience one has. I have and still do enjoy running a va on fsairlines, 10 years now and I only started when I retired. The automatic promotion is fantastic and I think this will complement that. i.e. our top level is fleet manager, but, for what fleet?

so please accept my apologies for being a little impatient, I can always bide my time delivering new aircraft to our different hubs, when that new system kicks in (joke)

BVG951Alan

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:57 pm

Alas its going to have to wait till after turkey day, as you will see in my 'traveling' announcement.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:24 pm

I did some work on this after getting home yesterday, the changes are currently on beta.fsairlines.net.

beta is using the main database so changes will effect the other. which aircraft you can fly is done differently in the database so changes there won't effect the main site yet.

Also the handle pilots has become 'accept pilots' so giving someone that permission on beta will give all the pilot settings on www.

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 6:11 pm

I am having a look now Joe, so far looks perfect. Thanks