Paused flights

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Paused flights

Post by BVU-951 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:47 am

Is there a way you can limit the length of time a flight can be paused. Or a way to cancel the flight.
We have had an aircraft stationery in the air for 2 days, and have been unable to contact the pilot.
Thanks Alan

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Paused flights

Post by joefremont » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Humm, never considered that before, as a VA manager you can cancel if the system thinks they are on the ground, but not if they are flying (although I can).

I did a quick check, out of 20k+ recent flights, 157 took 2 days or more from when the pilot first pushed 'fly' in the client to the time it was recorded, 43 took more than 3 days and one was more than 7 days.

I am reluctant to go in with a heavy hand and say flights must be completed within N days, but I supposed making a change to allow the VA staff to cancel even if its flying after N days would not be a too bad. Is this something that happens often in your VA?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:44 pm

Alan I assume its the flight between EDDF and OMDB (not naming any names) As of this moment its been going for 1.9854 days.

If I remember correctly my thinking when I added the ability for VA's to cancel flights, if the flight was still on the ground the VA could order it not to fly, but once its left the ground (or even the gate) its beyond there control.

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:06 am

Yes it is. Would not matter normally but it is the fact packages are going out of date. And I think the plane was the A225
Would really like the ability to cancel
Thanks Alan

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:47 pm

One thing that might at least give VA operators a fighting chance to control this issue is having the flight show 'PAUSED' in the status in the pilot signature. It's really impossible for us to tell if a flight is actually paused or if the pilot is taking "the scenic route", especially now the map feature seems to be down (says see Javascript console for details).

I never even considered this issue until now, but for sure will be adding a "pause limit" clause in our company SOP.

As I post this, my flight is in "pause" and my signature says "cruise".

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:26 pm

An interesting side note, MSFS does not handle pause like other sims, in that the clock continues to roll and at least with earlier versions of FSUIPC I could not detect if the sim was actually 'paused'.