STOCK EXCHANGE

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Captain Fly
Rampie

STOCK EXCHANGE

Post by Captain Fly » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:49 pm

It would be nice if there was a stock exchange to be able to invest in airlines according to their progress. raising and lowering its price.
To be able to take part of the value of your company in shares to capitalize without a loan.

ADAM-007
Flight Attendant

Re: STOCK EXCHANGE

Post by ADAM-007 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:48 pm

Interesting idea, I'd love to hear Joe's thoughts on this.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 am

It's been talked about since before I was on the site but it really does not appeal to me much. The prospect of VA founders having there airline taken away from them because someone does a hostile takeover would not be a good thing. If someone wants the biggest airline on the system them they should do so by flying not through mergers and acquisitions. Already when VA's ask to merge I am imposing a limit that the resulting airline may not be bigger than 10B in assets, as I think Adam can remember, if your VA gets too big it may not be as fun as you think.

I have thought about stock as a way to give voting rights to the VA members to decide who should be the VA president, or as a way if the group that has been running the VA wants to liquidate, go there separate ways and start new airlines somewhere else, maybe.

I remember someone asking about this before because they wanted to 'win' fsairlines, well for a lot of VA's winning is not the most important thing
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

ADAM-007
Flight Attendant

Post by ADAM-007 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:38 pm

joefremont wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 am
It's been talked about since before I was on the site but it really does not appeal to me much. The prospect of VA founders having there airline taken away from them because someone does a hostile takeover would not be a good thing. If someone wants the biggest airline on the system them they should do so by flying not through mergers and acquisitions. Already when VA's ask to merge I am imposing a limit that the resulting airline may not be bigger than 10B in assets.
Agree with this entirely, thanks for throwing in your two cents on this.
joefremont wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:38 am
I think Adam can remember, if your VA gets too big it may not be as fun as you think.
Adding to that, Becoming the biggest VA via mergers that have not been investigated properly can ruin it. As Joe remembers we found that the merging airline (no names) had 150bil of illegitimate aircraft and it just ruins the experience. We actually had so much cash that I transferred it all to myself and sent it back into the airline from 150bil down to 2bil.

Having another crack at it with our new Virgin XL Airways, We have made 30bil in 4 months legitimately using the packages system and its much nicer to know that we earnt it all ourselves. In all that we found a niche that the pilots seem to enjoy as well thanks to Joe's new 'By fleet' financing.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Sat Oct 31, 2020 4:28 pm

Having outsiders coming in with the ability to influence our many years of hard work through "stock options" would definitely be a big two thumbs down for us if it came to a vote. We would insist on a grandfathered clause to remain "private" with no stock available. Any feature that takes away from virtual airline operations and requires FSA admin resources as well as individual VA admin time to manage is something I would not like to see.
I have thought about stock as a way to give voting rights to the VA members to decide who should be the VA president, or as a way if the group that has been running the VA wants to liquidate, go there separate ways and start new airlines somewhere else, maybe.
VA's could easily set up their own heirarchy based on time of service, flight hours, whatever to issue "voting stock" to their pilots without involving FSAirlines. Remember the primary mission of FSAirlines: a flight tracking and data reporting service for virtual airline financial management. It should not be the "virtual government" that needs to have laws for every little thing 1400 different virtual airlines want to do. It needs to remain "middle of the road" and neutral without favoring either the big guys or the newest member who is just starting their virtual airline journey.

Bigger is most certainly not better!! We have purged over 200 aircraft over the past several years and now have inventory that is much easier to manage. It is very easy, especially with the dynamic multiplier, for new VA's to get into a "collector mentality" and you end up with so many planes, you can't possibly keep them all flown every 60 days.

The Pilot to Aircraft ratio is often overlooked, but it is a very important metric in gauging the success / enjoyment factor for any VA. Do you want to be medicore at everything or really proficient in one particular area? The balancing point between boredom (same plane all the time) and too much variety is a tricky one.

I agree with Joe: This is not a video game with one winner/top score. It is a community with a common love - flight and flight simulation. Why anyone would try to cheat the system here just baffles me yet people still do it. You are only cheating yourself.