Privacy conserns

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Privacy conserns

Post by joefremont » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:00 pm

A pilot or two have raised concerns about privacy, in that we show the pilots real names on the site. So I am going to make some changes so that for anyone who is not signed in your only going to see a pilots first name and last initial, and give the option to hide the last name from everyone except those in your same VA.

Already I have updated the pilot list in the VA interface and the VA list of the home page to show last initial. I will continue to go through the site to find all the places the pilot name is shown, and there are many.

This site has been around for over 14 years and to be honest this has not really been much of a problem, but then maybe for those who it was a problem they have already gone somewhere else. The rule that said you needed to use your real name was in place when I joined the site and to be honest I don't remember the reasoning behind it, I don't really enforce this rule or verify that the name is correct so there is nothing to stop someone using a fake name. But since your supposed to use your real name so that unless you have broken that rule there is no reason to edit your name, so we don't provide a way to edit your name on the site, maybe that should change.

But does anyone else have an opinion.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Re: Privacy conserns

Post by Cat » Tue Oct 06, 2020 12:52 am

I would be more concerned with the email showing when pilots join a new VA.... name is a name. If you remove their email address that will provide far more security than the name thing. As an officer of a VA, I have never needed a pilot's email and have never contacted a pilot through their email. We have the FSA message system and our Fly Vegas Discord channel pilot chat room through which we contact our pilots.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:00 am

I have no problem with first name and initial.

would like to make sure tho that a pilot's FSA logbook remains "open to the public" so when a new pilot applies, we can do our due diligent research on that pilot's experience and past performance.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:02 am

The full name should be available to other members of the va, but the full name and email should be available to the officers of a VA they are trying to join. I have not yet decided if all members or just officers should see it I am leaning toward all members of the VA.

But as for other data nothing changes, especially there log book.

AdySmith
Flight Attendant

Post by AdySmith » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:09 am

The first name and last initial has broken many features on "Classic British" website, particularly type ratings page.

Many other areas of the same site still show full names.

I don't see what the security issue is, seems to me that it has "fixed" something that wasn't broken in the first place.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:41 pm

AdySmith wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:09 am
The first name and last initial has broken many features on "Classic British" website, particularly type ratings page.

I don't see what the security issue is, seems to me that it has "fixed" something that wasn't broken in the first place.
Humm, I had not expected that. Your site is comparing the name rather than the ID number?

There are lots of places in the site where name is displayed and I would have to get to them one at a time. I though I would fix those places where the name could be displayed without a person being signed in first, and the VA interface was one of those places where the name was served up.

I suppose one could argue, that if the VA wants to display the name they can, and if its on their site that's there right.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:55 pm

AdySmith wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:09 am

Adrian, I reverted the change to the VA interface so your site should be back to normal.

Another example of trying to please everyone and end up pleasing nobody.

AdySmith
Flight Attendant

Post by AdySmith » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:46 am

"Front page" is back to normal, type ratings is still awry, maybe it will sort itself in a day or two.

Thanks for all the work you put in :D