Crash detection

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Crash detection

Post by BVU-951 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:12 am

Would it be possible to class a heavy landing as a crash. Say 600 fpm
Thanks

Cat
Chief Pilot

Re: Crash detection

Post by Cat » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:20 pm

"Crash" threshold on most FSX aircraft is -1600 fpm. [See aircraft config file section CONTACT POINTS]. Instead of lowering the threshold for FSA crashes, I would counter propose a "damage threshold" whereby the aircraft must be written off (scrapped) and the company has to go find a replacement. At -1600 fpm the odds are extremely likely the fuselage has broken into several sections and there is no way they would put Humpty Dumpty back together again in the real world the way we do in FSA.

For those non purists who will scream bloody murder at this idea, perhaps add a "mulligan" (in golf terms as it were) - or add an option check box in VA settings - Aircraft Destroyed Threshold enabled/disabled. Perhaps maybe even include a setting for each VA to set their "damage threshold" level in negative fpm.

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:21 pm

Cat wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:20 pm
"Crash" threshold on most FSX aircraft is -1600 fpm. [See aircraft config file section CONTACT POINTS]. Instead of lowering the threshold for FSA crashes, I would counter propose a "damage threshold" whereby the aircraft must be written off (scrapped) and the company has to go find a replacement. At -1600 fpm the odds are extremely likely the fuselage has broken into several sections and there is no way they would put Humpty Dumpty back together again in the real world the way we do in FSA.

For those non purists who will scream bloody murder at this idea, perhaps add a "mulligan" (in golf terms as it were) - or add an option check box in VA settings - Aircraft Destroyed Threshold enabled/disabled. Perhaps maybe even include a setting for each VA to set their "damage threshold" level in negative fpm.
Route
Departure Planned arrival Arrival
KLAX \ 12:08 MMMX 4CA9 \ 12:11
Distance Duration Touchdown V/S
7nm 00:03 (0h) -2978 fpm

How come this was not recorded as a crash?

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:20 pm

600 fpm is already the 'hard landing' threshold.

It's an idea that has come up from time to time and I have considered it. One possibility is have a -2000 ftp and you crash in the client with a 5% reduction if you turn it off in the client. I know there will be those who will scream bloody murder if we implement this, and it will be problematic in some platforms (x-plane) where reading the landing speed is not as reliable as it should be.

Right now I can claim "don't blame me about the crash, I don't decide I just read it from the sim" so if the client were to decide it puts more responsibility on me.

On the other hand a lot of pilots fly with crash detection off, including me. I do it because I have bumped into too many invisible buildings in the sim and had too many ground vehicles drive into me, having an alternate method of determining a crash would not be a bad idea, this could even include landing with the gear up, or down on water, on water if not an amphibian.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

fackprod
Ticket Agent

Post by fackprod » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:08 pm

Any thoughts on giving VA owners option to delete flights. It can take sone time for VAs with low flight volume to recover reputation where a flight that should have been cancelled (say above -1000fpm) was instead accepted. Similarly landing at wrong airport. The Client supports Divert and also shows intended and actual arrival airport, so no excuses for wrong airport. FPM does not show until final scn when it is too late to cancel.
Alastair

AdySmith
Flight Attendant

Post by AdySmith » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:11 am

this could even include landing with the gear up, or down on water, on water if not an amphibian.
I would definitely go with that one.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:10 pm

FPM does not show until final scn when it is too late to cancel.
Alastair
The landing rate is visible and you can still exit the Client BEFORE you set the parking brake at the end of the flight. I know as I have done it many many many times trying to learn how to fly float planes. Landing rates on grass/dirt/water are usually more difficult to get consistently low than on pavement (in FSX).

Gear up landings - again lessons learned the hard way, I've done it in the DC-3 and all I did was come to a very fast stop. LOL I am like Joe, I fly with crash detection off to avoid those suicidal ground vehicles who never give right of way to aircraft. I'd love to see gear up landings recorded differently than normal ones. The problem with making a gear up landing different than a crash is how will the Client know the difference? Obviously when people crash, many times it's CFIT in bad weather and they have their gear up as hitting the ground was not their intention at that particular time in the flight. Maybe have the client simply add -600 to the landing rate if the landing is detected with the gear up? That way damage is still done but with a smooth wheels up landing, it is minimized and is not a full-on end of the world "crash".

Allowing VA operators to delete flight reports would allow them to "cherry pick" their best flights and would make the FSA grading system useless. My suggestion would be to teach pilots the exit procedure on the Client and if they keep logging crashes, see ya. We have a "one and done' rule. You get one oopsie in your career, the next time is a "termination offense". If they can't fly, keep them in training until they figure it out. Training flights have no adverse effect on the airline. With the new automated ranking system, any airline operator can install new automated rank training modes to make sure your pilots can handle the next step up in their career before you turn them loose with the potential to cost you millions (See my latest video on Automated Promotions).

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:06 pm

Perhaps a warning in the client to say " This flight will cause a negative reputation for your VA "
It will try to prevent new comers getting egg on their face.
Lets face it we have all made mistakes.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:24 pm

BVU-951 wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:06 pm
Perhaps a warning in the client to say " This flight will cause a negative reputation for your VA "
It will try to prevent new comers getting egg on their face.
Lets face it we have all made mistakes.
Yes we need to do more there, it's far to common for new users to start up and crash on their first flight or more commonly fuel the AC to 100% which limits there payload and then end up with a huge loss on the first flight. More warning for certain and maybe start the multiplier lower for new airlines and then allow a higher number as they get more successful flights, but that's just a wild idea I had the other day.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:55 am

If you are going to do that, then just have the Client auto abort any flight with a crash, run out of fuel or wrong airport landing. And yes we all screw up, I will testify to that, so this is not preaching from a holier-than-thou podium. Then everyone scores positive numbers and lessons learned the hard way don't hurt airlines. It would make the auto promotion feature of resetting for any major penalty obsolete tho.

Client could post a message: FLIGHT ABORTED: You Crashed - FLIGHT ABORTED: You ran out of fuel - FLIGHT ABORTED: You landed at the wrong airport. With reports of the Client disconnecting and doing "premature aborts" across certain sim formats, maybe adding more abort parameters may just make a known problem worse.

Perhaps better training on the use of the EXIT tab is in order.
I have explained the EXIT tab in one of my training video's, maybe I need to make a short one showing nothing but how to use the EXIT tab like a
fighter plane ejection handle? I have noticed now in the new Client, it asks if you are sure you want to abort the flight when one clicks EXIT.

BVU-951
Flight Attendant

Post by BVU-951 » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:25 am

Cat wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:55 am
If you are going to do that, then just have the Client auto abort any flight with a crash, run out of fuel or wrong airport landing. And yes we all screw up, I will testify to that, so this is not preaching from a holier-than-thou podium. Then everyone scores positive numbers and lessons learned the hard way don't hurt airlines. It would make the auto promotion feature of resetting for any major penalty obsolete tho.

Client could post a message: FLIGHT ABORTED: You Crashed - FLIGHT ABORTED: You ran out of fuel - FLIGHT ABORTED: You landed at the wrong airport. With reports of the Client disconnecting and doing "premature aborts" across certain sim formats, maybe adding more abort parameters may just make a known problem worse.

Perhaps better training on the use of the EXIT tab is in order.
I have explained the EXIT tab in one of my training video's, maybe I need to make a short one showing nothing but how to use the EXIT tab like a
fighter plane ejection handle? I have noticed now in the new Client, it asks if you are sure you want to abort the flight when one clicks EXIT.
Sometimes it is beneficial to put a bad flight through, and I can make the choice, The warning would benefit new people who crash at wrong airport and they don't have permission to put a route in, so they are stranded. If the client said crash instead of heavy landing wrong airport they would be automatically grounded.

We have just had a pilot crash, but did'nt know why, he could not book a flight out of the airport, so he brought a ticket and got another plane and did exactly the same thing. So now we have two badly damaged aircraft that have to be moved.
Just trying to suggest something that will try to prevent this happening.

I always fly with full crash on, and so should everyone else, if they don't then they should not earn as much as me.

Perhaps you could set it yourself in the client options. " Crash detection on or off "

Deduct a percentage of the pilots pay, to help cover cost of repairs.