Copilots

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Copilots

Post by joefremont » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:18 pm

I have been working on a new system for copilots in FSA. This will allow multiple pilots to take part in the same flight and get credit for it where before only one pilot could get credit for a flight. Here are my ideas on how it would work.

To start of with, a pilot would book a flight, this pilot will be referred to as the ‘Lead Pilot’. The lead pilot can then go to new screen titled ‘Manage Flight Crew’ where they would see all the pilots in there airport who are not currently booked on flights who are members of either their airline or a partner airline, they could then invite them to take part in the flight in one of four roles.

Co-Captain

To be a Co Captain a pilot must be a member of the same VA as the pilot and have been able to book the same flight as the Lead pilot.
A Co-Captain get full credit for the flight and a full share of any earned salary.

Copilot

To be a Copilot a pilot must be a member of the same VA as the pilot and have a type rating for the aircraft being flown.
A Copilot gets full credit for the flight and a half share of any earned salary.

Flight Crew

To be a Flight Crew member, the pilot only has to be a member of the same VA as the pilot.
A Flight Crew member gets full credit for the flight and a quarter share of any earned salary.
You can think if a flight crew member as filling the role of flight engineer or navigator.

Jump Seat

A pilot occupying a Jump seat can be any pilot who is a member of the pilots VA or any partner VA.
The pilot in a jump seat does not get credit for the flight nor do they get any salary, they are just along for the ride.

A pilot who has not booked a flight can go to a page called ‘Crew Assignments’ and see all the flights that are booked to leave the airport they are at but have yet started.

If they have been invited to take part in a flight they will see the role they were offered and can either ‘accept’ or ‘decline’ the offer.

If they have not been offered a role in a flight they can request a role on that flight.

If a pilot has declined a role on a flight, or there request to take part has been declined they may not re-request a role but may send the pilot a message through the normal FSA message interface asking them to re-invite them.

For every aircraft we have in the database the number of crew seats, jump seats and passenger seats. The number of crew on board is not limited by the number of crew seats, the number above that are assumed to be relief crew who will fly at some point during the flight. Crew members can occupy any of the seats but if there are more crew members than crew + jump seats they will displace passengers, taking the best seats first. Pilots who are in ‘Jump Seats’ can be in Jump seats or passenger seats but can not occupy crew seats.

The salary the lead pilot would normally earn is divided between all the crew members. While the pilots salary percentage will effect how much they earn, no pilot may earn a higher salary percentage than the lead pilot. Here are a few examples on how it would work, based on a flight where 36000 v$ in profit was earned by the flight.

Example 1: Two pilots of the same rank, both with a 10% salary rate, the lead pilot and a copilot.
Lead pilot (full share * 10%) 2400v$
Co pilot (half share * 10%) 1200v$

Example 2: Three co-captians, Lead pilot is Senior Pilot (15%), Mid level Pilot 10%, Junior Pilot 5%
Lead Pilot (full share * 15%) 2700 v$
Mid Level Co Captain (full share * 10%) 1800 v$
Junior Pilot Co Captain (full share * 5%) 900 v$

Example 3, Same as example two but the Mid level pilot is the lead pilot.
Lead Pilot (full share * 10%) 1440 v$
Senior Co Captain (full share * 10%) 1440 v$
Junior Pilot Co Captian (full share * 5 %) 720 v$

Example 3 More complicated:
Lead pilot (Senior Pilot 15% full share) 3811 v$
Co pilot (mid level 10% half share) 1270 v$
Flight Crew (junior 5% quarter share) 317 v$

For the actual flight only the lead pilot will need to run the FSA client to record the flight, all others will get credit automatically when the flight ends. The other pilots if they sign in would be told they are registered as crew and don’t need to run the tracker.

Questions.

After the lead pilot pushes ‘fly’ to start the flight, can the crew members then decline the flight or are they locked in until the flight either finishes or is cancelled by the lead pilot.

Should the crew members be required to ‘check in’ before on the client to get credit (client could make sure they are in the right aircraft at the right location) or does it not matter.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

MrJTSZ
Ticket Agent

Re: Copilots

Post by MrJTSZ » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:17 am

Sounds good
joefremont wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:18 pm
After the lead pilot pushes ‘fly’ to start the flight, can the crew members then decline the flight or are they locked in until the flight either finishes or is cancelled by the lead pilot.
No, because you're supposed to be on the plane and you can't leave it until arrive

joefremont wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:18 pm
Should the crew members be required to ‘check in’ before on the client to get credit (client could make sure they are in the right aircraft at the right location) or does it not matter.
Yes

CaptainPrecious
Ticket Agent

Post by CaptainPrecious » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Good idea!

Alan McGaughey
Ticket Agent

Post by Alan McGaughey » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:48 pm

I'm really looking forward to this feature, great for the Majestic Dash and Aerosoft Airbus... Thanks Joe 8)

I think flight crew should be allowed to somehow cancel their involvement at any time during the flight, after all, real world commitments do have a habit of getting in the way, I would suggest maybe that on cancelling their involvement their records for the flight are simply deleted as if they had never taken part.

I agree that flight crew all need to check in with the client, is it possible that their individual position reports are verified with the reports of the lead pilot so as to avoid free jump seat rides without even being involved in the flight? ...Or is that way too complicated? :?

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:35 pm

I'm working on it, most of the website code is done and I am still testing. Need to make a few adjustments to the client and a few other things to do and then its ready. The hard part is just finding weekend time when I can finish up all the parts.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Alan McGaughey
Ticket Agent

Post by Alan McGaughey » Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:37 am

No worries Joe, all in good time...