Military Aircraft

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Should FSA allow VA's to operate Military aircraft?

Poll ended at Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:48 am

Yes, absolutely
50%
No, very bad idea.
10%
I have no opinion.
40%

Total votes: 10

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Military Aircraft

Post by joefremont » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:48 am

Up until now, FSA has only allowed aircraft that have actually entered service with an airline to be used. But we continually get requests along the line of "Can you please add the C-17". There are a number of military transports that either got civilian type certificates or where the manufacturer tried to market them to civilian airlines, but to which airlines were not interested in buying. These include the C-5A, C-141, C-17 and A400M. The reason the airlines were not interested was that the aircraft were too expensive to operate, also unlike the earlier aircraft of the 40's and 50's, usually the air forces that operated these aircraft used them until the air frames were worn out and were no longer safe to operate.

If we were to do this only transport aircraft that could have been sold to airlines but the airlines declined would be allowed, based on that the three american aircraft would be allowed but I am not sure on the A400M, as far as I know Airbus has not yet tried to market it. Combat aircraft would still not be allowed.

Since I keep getting these requests I though I would open up the topic for discussion and try to get as many opinions as possible. If there is a positive response to this I will poll all the members again before allowing it. Feel free to tell us what you feel on this subject.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Re: Military Aircraft

Post by joefremont » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:55 am

For myself I voted "I don't care". Mostly I just want to make FSA as inclusive as possible. If more would join because we allow military aircraft than would leave I would be in favor, but I need to know what you think. Tell us your opinion.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:37 pm

I announced the rule change as to what aircraft we allow but so far only one va has requested a military aircraft, (A C-5)

Tanukichi
Ticket Agent

Post by Tanukichi » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:17 pm

Hello.
In my VA, I received a request saying "C-5 is needed to transport more cargo farther away."

If a military cargo plane can be registered, it will be interesting to be able to carry many supplies.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:28 pm

Tanukichi wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:17 pm
Hello.
In my VA, I received a request saying "C-5 is needed to transport more cargo farther away."

If a military cargo plane can be registered, it will be interesting to be able to carry many supplies.
Just submit a support ticket asking for it.

GGhost01
Ticket Agent

Post by GGhost01 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:15 am

Delta Airlines flew commercial L100 - 20 (C130) as freighter aircraft late 60-70's. Then retired them later as B747 freighter came along. Link from the Delta Airlines museum http://www.deltamuseum.org/docs/site/ai ... sfvrsn=2

Also Lynden Cargo out of Alaska runs the L100 -20 / 30 (C130) freighter http://www.lynden.com/lac/hercules-cargo-aircraft.html

First Air used to fly the L100 (C130) as a freighter, but they have merged with Canadian North now.

Good Flying
Last edited by GGhost01 on Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:48 am

GGhost01 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:15 am
Delta Airlines flew commercial C130 as freighter aircraft late 60-70's. Then retired them later as B747 freighter came along. Link from the Delta Airlines museum http://www.deltamuseum.org/docs/site/ai ... sfvrsn=2

Also Lynden Cargo out of Alaska runs the C130 freighter http://www.lynden.com/lac/hercules-cargo-aircraft.html

First Air used to fly the C130 as a freighter, but they have merged with Canadian North now.

Good Flying
The civilian name for the C-130 is the L-100, and its in the system and available.

GGhost01
Ticket Agent

Post by GGhost01 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:04 am

I should of put the L100 commercial side for C130 but giving some information to the folks here. Just edited

Cheers!

ravenblade
Ticket Agent

Post by ravenblade » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:56 pm

Greetings! I formally request military aircraft be added to FSA. Our airline will carter to the military aviation enthusiast community. We would like to form a fleet called "Screaming Eagles" containing aircraft that the military uses for its purposes. We will place requests for military airframes, such as the C-17 and the C-130J as well as others. We will also request other capability, such as airborne delivery of troops and cargo, since plugins exist for this on X-Plane.
"The first jet I ever saw, I shot down." ~General Chuck Yeager

ravenblade - CEO - All American

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:37 pm

We are not really a platform for military operations, so we don't have any way to perform an 'airdrop' operation. But for but you could do air transport.

Make sure you read this: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9525

For the C-130 its in the database but under the civilian designation of L-100 .

The C-17 is in the database but its marked as 'special use' so make sure your VA meets the requirements of buying one, which is 5 distinct active pilots and 1B in assets.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:57 pm

One thing to remember. This platform is for simulating civilian airline operations, it is not really designed for military operations, where they overlap we try our best to make sure they are possible. We may add features to make this better in the future but remember we have one part time developer (me) so I can't guarantee when anything will be done. We might add parachute drops, but it would be civilian training or demonstration of maybe a dozen or so people, it would never be a hundred troops over a combat zone. We might add airdrops of relief supplies, but the places where that would happen would be restricted and I can't think of anyplace outside of Africa where it would make sense, South Sudan being the only place I can think if in recent times where civilian aircraft were hired to drop supplies to a civilian population where it was too unstable on the ground to land but safe enough in the air that it was possible.

ravenblade
Ticket Agent

Post by ravenblade » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:17 am

Thank you for the reply and the dialogue. I understand your concerns about the purpose of this platform... It is civilian and not military. And it should remain that way! Our airline vision has nothing to do with war games, fighting battles, or using this platform to simulate combat. Rather, it is to simulate air movement of cargo and personnel via military routes using military aircraft. I hope that can fit within FSA parameters. With regard to airborne operations... the way I see it, it would always be training missions on Drop Zones on military reservations or for disaster relief missions or in support of civilian authority missions. The point of the airborne simulation (the fun) is for accuracy of delivery of cargo and personnel in terms of time and location. In other words, did the stuff land on the right spot on time? For us, it has nothing to do with militant or combative activities of what happens after troops land. Valid missions for the military include Disaster Relief and support for Civilian Authorities to include Airborne delivery of goods (USAID food pallets of rice dropped in areas affected by Ebola for example). Geographic Combatant Commanders have employed airborne delivery and these types of missions have happened around the world for more than just 'combat'. here is an example: https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/03/middleea ... index.html In fact, combat jumps are very rare. More importantly, airborne training missions happen regularly (almost daily) in the continental United States. I guess what I am saying is, we are not interested in combat. We are interested in the mechanics of the accurate delivery of goods and personnel via parachutes. I very much appreciate the dialogue, I respect the burden of the lone part-time developer and the time end energy it takes for such a 'hobby' as this, and am thankful for FSAirlines.

Peace,

Dan
"The first jet I ever saw, I shot down." ~General Chuck Yeager

ravenblade - CEO - All American

jarek
Ticket Agent

Post by jarek » Thu May 06, 2021 7:26 pm

Joe, I very like your idea. Drops. Drops is not only military job even if military planes are used for. I think not only South Sudan can be used for this activity. Somalia, Chad , may few more countries. Its grate idea.

If we talking about military planes. I'm agree, FSA should not support combat planes used for combat missions. If somebody like it I can recommend DCS. But, supplying military bases , its not really combat mission.
"Poland Cargo VA" ---19 YEARS old - Vatsim VA