Fuel Prices

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Fuel Prices

Post by joefremont » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:37 pm

Hi Flyers,

With all the new airports added to the database I have been working on a new way to calculate fuel prices for airports, it's still not quite ready yet but thought I would share some of my ideas.

First I have been looking without success for a way to find global aviation fuel prices without success, but finally found a site (http://www.globalpetrolprices.com/) that does list deisel fuel prices for almost every major country, and since deisel is close to Jet-A in composition though I would start with that as the base. If your interested in what those values would be there is a new 'Countries' section in the database area on the site that lists each country and what the base will be (BTW, it's still a work in progress).

From that we will add a factor based on how remote the airport is based on the number of people living within 120 miles of it (less weight further away), fewer ppl, higher price.

Second add to that a factor based on how busy the airport is. The busiest airports in the world charge more than those that are not so busy, and airports that have barely any traffic will also charge more because they have to too remain in business, or maybe there is no permanent fuel service and it has to be trucked in from somewhere else.

Finally a random factor so things are not constant everywhere.

We would run this periodically so that prices change as traffic patterns change.

Any thoughts on this? Let the discussion begin!
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Re: Fuel Prices

Post by flugkapitan » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:55 pm

Hi Joe,

I like the idea. I certainly think it's worth trying.

Regards,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Avgas (100-110LL) should be really expensive at major airports, a deterrent as it were to keep small planes out of the area. Example shown for Las Vegas NV, USA at this link http://flightaware.com/resources/airpor ... businesses

Smaller general aviation planes should be using area "feeder" airports that are more geared to their needs vs. the big airline terminal airports like KLAS.

You will notice the price for avgas at LAS is almost twice that of the nearby smaller airports.

Just some real world FYI when you are laying out the new pricing codes.

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Post by flugkapitan » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:50 am

Greetings!

While I agree with Cat that, yes, in the "real world", avgas burning aircraft are discouraged (if not outright banned) from larger airports. However, we are operating in a virtual world. If there are VA's within FSairlines that operate smaller aircraft in and out of the larger airports, they shouldn't have to take it on the chin and no longer be profitable, or have to modify their route structure to adapt to the new fuel prices.

For those airlines who wish to mirror real world ops as much as possible, they merely have to make sure that they operate in relation to the real world, e. g., use the large aircraft out of the major airports, the "puddle jumpers" in and out of the regionals into the majors, and the 3rd level commuters in and out of the very small airports.

After all, it's about having fun, isn't it :D

Cheers,
Scott

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:20 am

The reluctance I have to different prices for a gas and jet-a is that there are some airlines that want to reproduce historic routes that used big prop liners into airports that were historically the airports they used but are now just for jets.

IMSU1
Rampie

Post by IMSU1 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Hello Joe,

I think it's a good idea to tackle the fuel price. I would find it more convenient that the fuel price indicates the airport's view on traffic; traffic is low so to stimulate traffic the fuel price will be low while for major airports were the traffic rate is to much, the fuel price should be higher then average, simply to not get more traffic then the capacity.
I would also like to suggest the idea that you get a percentage discount on the wholesale price if you buy fuel like;
1 lbs - standard price
1000 lbs - standard
10000 lbs - 2,3% discount
100000 lbs - 6%
or something like this, so that people would be less skipping the extra safety fuel.

kind regards,
IMSU1

Cat
Chief Pilot

Post by Cat » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:34 pm

However, we are operating in a virtual world. If there are VA's within FSairlines that operate smaller aircraft in and out of the larger airports, they shouldn't have to take it on the chin and no longer be profitable, or have to modify their route structure to adapt to the new fuel prices.
After all, it's about having fun, isn't it :D
Touche' valid point agree'd

It should always have goal of promoting enjoyment.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:26 am

You're right, it is about having fun. I have made my first version of the price calc function but for now all it does is display "New Fuel Price" on the airport information page below the main data block. For the many countries the prices will be much lower, it's mostly europe where the fuel prices are coming out higher, but before you panic take a look at the airport information pages for your favorite airport and see what it will be. This is by no means final and there will be adjustments, probably lowering the fuel base price for those rich european countries.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:06 pm

Think I have the formula finished, from your VA overview page on the right options there is a new page called 'Airport List', this shows all the airports your airline uses and the new and old fuel price so you compare, for the most part the prices will go down. Comments please?

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:09 pm

Unless there are objections these will go into effect in about a week.

flugkapitan
Flight Attendant

Post by flugkapitan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:32 am

Hi Joe,

Looks good to me. Thanks for the effort you put into this :D

Scott

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:06 pm

New fuel prices are being rolled out ....

CRGaming
Ticket Agent

Post by CRGaming » Tue Jun 06, 2023 3:01 pm

Although jet a and diesel are similar in price, jet a is way more expensive.