Some thoughts on Penalties.

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

wings138
Flight Attendant

Re: Some thoughts on Penalties.

Post by wings138 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:14 am

joefremont wrote:
wings138 wrote:I hate to say this, but landing lights are only required, and I repeat required on landing and take off, not for decent or climb out, but then FAA regulations allows for them to be turned off if using them would interfere with the safe operation of own aircraft or any others in the area, and so if your flying in a cloud or landing in thick fog, no one would see you and if you had them on you wouldn't see anything as the reflections would blind you.

And Strobes fall into the same optional category, they can blind you if you fly thru a cloud. I did goto the FAA web site and look this up, feel free to double check it.

Soooooooooooooo, sense you want to have people being realistic and not break regulations, we really need to ditch this penalty and move on to other ones.

I've been running the beta for a while and so far things are working great, except when I forget the landing lights ... I can usually get flights done with out penalties.

So, you keep talking about adding this or adding that, you might add so many that people wont be able to have flexibility in there flying.
Wings, what of what you say about lights requirements is true, Landing lights are only required during takeoff and landings, the FAA suggests you have them on all the time under FL100 but its voluntary. We only require it within 5nm of the airport when below FL50 so I think we are ok there. Navigation lights? Right now we don't differentiate between the nav lights/beacon/strobe, Just one should be on. But you're right, they are allowed to be turned off in bad weather, and right now I don't have a good way to determine if they are in bad weather, but on the other hand the existing weather engines in the sims we use are not really sophisticated enough to create the 'dangerous conditions that would allow the lights to be turned off. Maybe P3D4 or FSW (or even XP-11, I have not used it enough) will have that, but to be honest I don't feel very strongly about it. Some very old aircraft don't even have those lights so if there is consensus, we can remove that.

And I am not really planning on adding anything else right now, there are lots of obscure things we could add but for now I think we have enough.
I only said that because there is so much discussion and my friend that flies for UPS is the one that is always pointing it out.

the sims can show some weather problems, but unless you use Active sky or something like it, then your not always going to see the weather. I use P3d and with the fog and clouds, and being fed from AS16, there are times.

In fact I'm not sure of and thing for 32-bit Sims that would cause the lighting to blind you. But in the 64-bit there is more of a chance. I mean we have been gaining stuff like cockpit shadowing, who knows what is next.

I would say remove the landing light penalty, and leave the rest, so there is my vote.

wings138
Flight Attendant

Post by wings138 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:12 pm

Hey, my friend with x-plane 11 was saying that his landing lights were reflecting off clouds.

Still waiting to hear more about FSW and P3D v4.0 (64 bit).
anyway have a nice day.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Wed May 31, 2017 12:17 am

wings138 wrote:Hey, my friend with x-plane 11 was saying that his landing lights were reflecting off clouds.

anyway have a nice day.
Since P3D4 is now out we should be able to get it without too much time. I will get it soon.
For FSW, its still unknown if they will allow us to connect.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

wings138
Flight Attendant

Post by wings138 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:20 pm

joefremont wrote:
wings138 wrote:Hey, my friend with x-plane 11 was saying that his landing lights were reflecting off clouds.

anyway have a nice day.
Since P3D4 is now out we should be able to get it without too much time. I will get it soon.
For FSW, its still unknown if they will allow us to connect.
I was just on the forums for FSUIPC and they are working on the 64bit version for P3D v4. I will have to wait until later to get it as I have a lot of scenery that will have to be made available for it.