Comment truncated on Flight Report page

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

DavidK
Ticket Agent

Comment truncated on Flight Report page

Post by DavidK » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:45 am

Hi,

Something I've noticed before, but have finally remembered to mention here: I can fill the "Write your comment here..." field given by the client at the end of a(n eventful) flight, but find the text truncated when it appears on the corresponding Flight Report webpage. Could this be fixed, please?

David K

PS The Route details/Blackbox map and graphs are a nice touch.

DavidK
Ticket Agent

Re: Comment truncated on Flight Report page

Post by DavidK » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:51 pm

...Hi again,

Just wondering if this issue has made it to the to-do list or whether there's something I'm doing wrong. If it's the former, might it be solved by increasing a buffer somewhere?

Continuing to enjoy FSAirlines -- thanks,
David K

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:35 am

The field in our database is limited to 255 characters, was your text shorter than that?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

DavidK
Ticket Agent

Post by DavidK » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:44 pm

Hi Joe,
joefremont wrote:The field in our database is limited to 255 characters, was your text shorter than that?
They must be longer, though I try to abbreviate what I report. (If you like, take a look at one or two reports to see the kinds of things I say -- mostly climb/descent patterns, cruise speeds, mentions of cloud/turbulence, comments on poor approaches, late arrivals, etc. If a flight is more eventful than usual, it can be tricky to abbreviate! In fact, I'd appreciate any advice on what I'm meant to report.)

Would it be too much hassle to increase this 255-character limit?

David

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:12 am

To be honest, I think 255 characters is more than enough. The comments section is not intended to be a blow-by-blow narrative of your flight. It's designed for a quick comment or short explanation if something goes wrong or is "out of normal". I will tell you right now that no real world pilot does anything like that on their flight report. They will list any instrument approaches they flew due to conditions and maybe a quick note if Dispatch needs to make a note for the next crew to do something or pass something on to Maintenance. The only time it'll contain anything beyond that is if Dispatch specifically requests anything, but usually that stuff goes over the phone anyway.

DavidK
Ticket Agent

Post by DavidK » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:31 pm

CAPFlyer wrote:......They will list any instrument approaches they flew due to conditions and maybe a quick note if Dispatch needs to make a note for the next crew to do something or pass something on to Maintenance. The only time it'll contain anything beyond that is if Dispatch specifically requests anything, but usually that stuff goes over the phone anyway.
Thanks, CAPFlyer, that's useful to know. Thinking about it, I realise that most of the detail is just a habit developed while I was trying out different climb/descent patterns with aircraft that were new to me at the time I started FSAirlines. So I can chop most of that out and also any references to turbulence or cloud that doesn't actually affect landing, visibility, etc.

David