comment box when editing aircraft...

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

comment box when editing aircraft...

Post by flightsimer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:40 am

this is really needed. i submitted an edit for the 767-300ER to increase its range to that of the WL standard and it was rejected, which im sure was because they dont know where the number i submitted came from. the range hasnt been published like other ranges but it is about 6380nm with winglets, which decreased fuel consumption by 6.5%. so can you also fix the range to this.

also, can the fields be changed so that if there is no info there already, you dont have to make up some number just to be able to submit an edit for something else? i had to put a random number in the number of aircraft made just to get the edit to go through...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: comment box when editing aircraft...

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:35 am

We (the DB Admins) have actually asked for the comment box in the past, but it's a bit down on the list right now. However, the number built is readily available, so I don't see why you had to "make it up".

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:43 am

CAPFlyer wrote:We (the DB Admins) have actually asked for the comment box in the past, but it's a bit down on the list right now. However, the number built is readily available, so I don't see why you had to "make it up".
had already lost the edit so had to redo it, and already had boeing site closed and was annoyed and didnt feel like taking the extra 2 minutes to go and do the search... internet has been really slow lately for me for some reason.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:18 am

can edits be changed so that if something is defaulted at 0 already it can stay there...

if im just doing a simple edit like i was earlier, in which the only reason for the whole edit was just to change the range of the MD-11 which currently is 7600nm (but yet the range for the MD-11ER is only 7200nm... so dont get the logic that got that edit accepted... :roll: ) then why should i have to go and find the values of things that i really dont care about and wasnt editing in the first place. and then to top it off, the "incorrect data" was off by 4k kgs, so when you went to verified it, then why cant you just fix the number instead of having to make me and go and find it and then resubmit it just for you to go again and "verify" it...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:42 am

The range for the MD-11 is the maximum range, the range for the MD-11ER is the "typical load" range. If you want to look up the max range, then that would be fine.

As for the rest, it's items that were brought up previously, but remember that we're trying to keep the system simple. Thus, all it looks for is whether all of the weight values add up properly. If they don't, it rejects it. It takes a lot less code and is much more reliable than trying to get it to "think" and figure it out, which takes more server time, and more bandwidth.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:09 pm

The nonstop range of the standard MD-11 operating at a maximum takeoff weight of 602,500 pounds (273,290 kg) is approximately 7,630 statute miles (12,270 km) with 285 passengers and their bags. The extended-range version of the MD-11, equipped with an auxiliary fuel tank and operating at a higher maximum takeoff weight of 630,500 pounds (285,990 kg), has a range of approximately 8,225 statute miles
straight from boeing... so thats 6630nm, and 7147nm respectively.

went to a.net, the also have numbers close to that, at 6831 and 7240 respectively.

went to boeing for the technical document, it doesnt even include the MD-11ER, so i already have doubts. also with that document, if im reading it right, the MD-11 can only get 7600nm if its completely empty with payload.

either way, the basic MD-11 shouldnt have a higher range than the ER, which we paid more for to get that range...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:57 pm

You answered your own question. The range we want posted on the FSAirlines database is the MAXIMUM RANGE (which by definition is the range with full fuel and no payload). What you quote is the range with TYPICAL PAYLOAD (also called the "Typical Mission Range"). According to the document here, the MD-11ER ("Optional") has a maximum range of 8,225nm.

So, you did pay for more range and there it is. I have updated it in the database.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:20 pm

thanks for the update...

but is this a new set up within FSA because non of the other planes are set for their max zero load range (AKA ferry range)?

from what i looked at thes are the only two aircraft that are set this way...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:16 pm

It has been this way since the start. We have always specified that the range of an airplane needs to be the "maximum" range, not the "typical range". If you do a search of the forums, you'll find several threads going over it on the 747, DC-10, and 757 among others. I'm not sure what planes you're looking at, but most of those in the system are set for the maximum range.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:39 am

all of the 737ng (didnt check the previous versions), 747-400's,757s, 767's and 777's ranges are not at their "maxium range" based on the detailed technical documents from boeing with zero payloads.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:55 am

flightsimer wrote:all of the 737ng (didnt check the previous versions), 747-400's,757s, 767's and 777's ranges are not at their "maxium range" based on the detailed technical documents from boeing with zero payloads.
When we added them they were. If they've been edited since, then that was an error on whatever admin's part that approved them.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:19 am

CAPFlyer wrote:
flightsimer wrote:all of the 737ng (didnt check the previous versions), 747-400's,757s, 767's and 777's ranges are not at their "maxium range" based on the detailed technical documents from boeing with zero payloads.
When we added them they were. If they've been edited since, then that was an error on whatever admin's part that approved them.
to be honest, they never were set at the ranges these documents were saying for the almost 2.5 years ive been here so that would mean they were changed shortly after restarting flynet or back during the origional version.

i also dont get the reason of having them set for zero payload range as the main range given or used in the first place. now if it was to allow ferrying flights then i would, but having them set for ranges that would allow them to fly longer revenue flights than they would see in RW is just opening the system up for allowed abuse in my eyes. with longer flight, more revenue can be made per seat. obviously there will be a distance in which you start to loose money...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:51 am

You are forgetting that just because it has the range doesn't mean it can carry the payload. You still have to carry the fuel and when you do that, your payload decreased to a point where it cannot make money beyond that distance due to being unable to carry enough revenue generating payload and still have enough fuel. However, as we can also handle ferry flights in several ways, including a revenue flight with pax & cargo set to "0", then allowing you to set a flightplan out to the maximum range of the plane does have merit.

Again, they were once set at the right distance. There were several discussions on it, including a very protracted one on the 777 ER/LR models and their range.