List of ideas

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Mattyb21
Ticket Agent

Re: List of ideas

Post by Mattyb21 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:08 am

It would be quite rare, an airport operations vehicle would have to check over the taxiway to make sure there is no damage, and the taxiway would have to be long and straight. Commonly the fastest speed on a taxiway would be when an aircraft leaves the runway on a high speed turnoff. Yet the aircraft needs to be going of a maximum 25kts before that turnoff reaches another taxiway.

But getting rid of all of the figures, we can either show good airmansip and taxi slow and cautiously, or we can taxi like complete idiots, not showing any airmanship at all.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:47 pm

Mattyb21 wrote:It would be quite rare, an airport operations vehicle would have to check over the taxiway to make sure there is no damage, and the taxiway would have to be long and straight. Commonly the fastest speed on a taxiway would be when an aircraft leaves the runway on a high speed turnoff. Yet the aircraft needs to be going of a maximum 25kts before that turnoff reaches another taxiway.

But getting rid of all of the figures, we can either show good airmansip and taxi slow and cautiously, or we can taxi like complete idiots, not showing any airmanship at all.
i have been saying that the whole time... they check the runways/taxiways every day.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:49 pm

Tyler, drop it. You're trying to justify your argument not matter what anyone else tells you.

They check for DEBRIS on the taxiway every day (usually multiple times a day), they don't check for anything beyond that unless they're checking to make sure all the lights work.

It is very rare for an aircraft to taxi faster than 20 knots much less 30, even on a long, straight taxiway. The biggest concern here is brake heat and wear. The faster you taxi, the more heat and wear you put on your brakes. Thus, you limit your speed to limit the other two. Having flown quite a bit and worked on airports, including one of the largest in the world - Denver International, I can tell you that the fastest common taxi speed was 25 knots, and that was AWAY from the terminal. Great Lakes Aviation, a commuter airline, got fined very heavily by the FAA for speeding in the terminal area where they regularly were going 20+ knots near the terminal. FAA regulates taxi speed within the terminal area to 10 knots on the taxiways and 5 knots on the apron or within 50 feet of another aircraft. If you do faster than that, you'll get tagged and both you (the pilot) and the company can get fined.

juan
Ticket Agent

Post by juan » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:30 am

A bit off-topic here, but Chris were you working at Denver when it closed to snow storm like 4-5 years ago? I was there for a couple of days... did everything that I never dreamed would do lol.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:32 am

I was on property from Summer 2001 - Feb 2004. Went through a couple of pretty major storms during that period.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:39 am

CAPFlyer wrote:I was on property from Summer 2001 - Feb 2004. Went through a couple of pretty major storms during that period.
i bet!
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways