List of ideas

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

dschoene
Ticket Agent

List of ideas

Post by dschoene » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:04 am

Hi all,

It's now almost a week since I registered on fsairlines and I must admit, I love it :mrgreen: Coming from FSPassengers, the concept appeals immediately and the most important strongpoint for me is the fleet management and the ability to lease aircraft instead of buying them. I have however a list of ideas for improvements and extensions :

1. Flights operated by a different airline.

In the real world of aviation a lot of flights, especially in the regional sector are not operated by the airline that markets the fligths. Almost none of the Lufthansa Regional flights are actually driven by LH pilots, but a plethora of smaller airlines like Contact Air, Augsburg Air, Eurowings, Air Dolomiti - the lot. It would be nice to have that option around here. If two airlines enter a partnership one could be operating flights for the other with the operating airline taking the income and the marketing airline receiving a set share of it.

2. Improvements for the Client

The client has some potential for improvement. The tracking itself doesn't seem to be too reliable. Most of my flights are shown on the site when I start them but once I reach cruise altitude they tend to revert back to 'booked' and stay there until my flight state changes. When I start my descent they usually reappear.
It would also be nice if the client traced more flight data. So far I could theoretically indulge in aerobatics with a 737 and nobody would notice. Penalties shuld be handed out for too high banking, excessive G forces or overspeeding the flaps. On the opposite end pilots should be rewarded for landing planes safely in bad weather.
One major gripe for me is the taxi speed penalty. 20kn is awfully low and very hard to keep in some planes (the BAe ATP for instance). Also those that fly online via vatsim or ivao would cause disruption if they dawdle along the main taxiway of a major airport at 18kn. Wouldn't it make more sense to penalize only those who think it is a good idea to blast along at 40 or 50. I've seen highspeed taxi instructions on vatsim more than once to speed up the proceedings (for instance to clear a busy runway).

3. Website improvements

One of the things that I would like to see on the Airport pages is a list of actually performed fligths rather than defined routes, much the same way it is done on vataware, where one can see the last departures and arrivals, that were actually performed.

I've got a lot of other ideas, but me being new around here, I'd rather not wish to come across too demanding :lol: Btw, I'm a seasoned professional programmer, so if any manpower in that departement is needed, I'd be glad to lend a hand :mrgreen:

Cheers, Danilo

e.rossiter
Ticket Agent

Re: List of ideas

Post by e.rossiter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:32 pm

Obviously you have never been in an aircraft in real life taxing, 20 knots is VERY FAST for a taxi! In real life an aircraft you would taxi a MAX of 12 knots, a general rule is "You taxi as fast as you can walk". Going 40 or 50 knots HIGHLY Illegal and a death wish for any pilot.

And I know for a fact that on VATSIM 18 knots taxi is not dawdling or holding up traffic due to I use VATSIM for nearly all of my flights, and all traffic taxi at a slower more reasonable 10-12 knots. And 18 knots is WAY too fast for taxi.

You need to keep control of your aircraft at all times, and navigation on the ground is best done at slow speeds, hence the speed restriction! Read any flying manual and it will tell you this. Or even better ask any REAL LIFE pilot and they will tell you it, and tell you stories about things that can happen when taxing at high speeds. Such as aircraft rolling over on one side while turning, or loosing control by hitting a bump or object.
Last edited by e.rossiter on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

Mattyb21
Ticket Agent

Post by Mattyb21 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:35 pm

Aircraft have a tendency to not handle like a car on the ground, that is probably why they make up for it in the air :P

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:56 pm

e.rossiter wrote: And I know for a fact that on VATSIM 18 knots taxi is not dawdling or holding up traffic due to I use VATSIM for nearly all of my flights, and all traffic taxi at a slower more reasonable 10-12 knots. And 18 knots is WAY too fast for taxi.

You need to keep control of your aircraft at all times, and navigation on the ground is best done at slow speeds, hence the speed restriction! Read any flying manual and it will tell you this. Or even better ask any REAL LIFE pilot and they will tell you it, and tell you stories about things that can happen when taxing at high speeds. Such as aircraft rolling over on one side while turning, or loosing control by hitting a bump or object.
turning speeds are always under 10kts. its quite normal depending on the airport to see high speeds taxis out of the terminal area. if there is a long straight taxi, they will allow high speed taxis. typically busy airports with single runways where you have to backtrack will allow it depending on how long they have to backtrack. also far spread airports will allow it. again only outside of the terminal area. also using vatsim for reference isnt that great either because i have heard of a lot of pilots being allowed to high speed taxi with vatsim....
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

e.rossiter
Ticket Agent

Post by e.rossiter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:09 pm

Both myself and the person who posted above (Matt Berne) are REAL LIFE PILOTS in Australia, so we know at what speed to taxi at! We both have ATC services operating at our terminals and NO aircraft does a high speed taxi any where EVER! The max speed any one uses is 12 knots! And way slower for corners! Anything else is just plain dangerous no matter what the conditions.

And on VATSIM I havn't seen any high speed taxing.
ImageImage

Mattyb21
Ticket Agent

Post by Mattyb21 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Look, ed and i are both pilots, that is clear,
To be honest, I really couldn't care less about what the final result is in the client, but i am just making a reference to real life. Just making it clear, so put whatever number of knots or what not in the client, it doesn't phase me, but at the moment in the real world, not vatsim, not fsx multiplayer or whatever else you want to claim is realistic, what we say is how it all goes in the real world.

Motomad1
Flight Attendant

Post by Motomad1 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:15 pm

Yes i have never seen any Overspeeding Taxing on Vatsim. But if you get a overspeed penilty not good. You should not be going very fast, especialy at busy airports like Sydney (YSSY)
ImageImage

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:47 pm

Australia isnt the only place that has airports. Maybe that is the case in australia, but its not everywhere. I am a pilot too, so its not like im just talking crap that i dont know or havent seen done in real life. If you have a 2mile taxiway away from the terminal area that is straight, they will allow you to high speed taxi on request. I have seen it and heard it happen live at my local intl airport.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

PCD001
Flight Attendant

Post by PCD001 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:27 pm

Mattyb21 wrote:Look, ed and i are both pilots, that is clear,
To be honest, I really couldn't care less about what the final result is in the client, but i am just making a reference to real life. Just making it clear, so put whatever number of knots or what not in the client, it doesn't phase me, but at the moment in the real world, not vatsim, not fsx multiplayer or whatever else you want to claim is realistic, what we say is how it all goes in the real world.
Matt, Edward,

What aircraft ? Where on the airports ? Which Airports ?
If you are going to make sweeping statements like that, you need to define a few thing first.
At most Airports (obviously not Australia) 6-12kts in the turn, whatever speed is appropriate with due regard to safety on the Apron, and 16-22kts on the open taxi-way.
I 'believe' that suitable aircraft (if safety permits), taxi to/from the Polderbaan Rwy at EHAM (Amsterdam Schiphol) at 25kts.
I have been on commercial aircraft at various airports around the world that have taxied at +25kts - yes, they are probably breaking the airport regs, but it does happen . . .
Bob
----
The "New" Cheap Fuel Operator . & . 'T' Tail Fan !!

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:23 am

I kinda like the idea of a list of recent departures and arrivals, but worry about the extra load on the database.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:34 am

joefremont wrote:I kinda like the idea of a list of recent departures and arrivals, but worry about the extra load on the database.
ya it goes along with what i posted a few months ago about adding more info to the airport pages....
http://www.fsairlines.net/forum/viewtop ... f=7&t=5800
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Motomad1
Flight Attendant

Post by Motomad1 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:44 am

joefremont wrote:I kinda like the idea of a list of recent departures and arrivals, but worry about the extra load on the database.

That is a good idea :mrgreen:
ImageImage

dschoene
Ticket Agent

Post by dschoene » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:03 am

It would probably lessen the load on the db, because the number of actually performed flights is way lower than the number of routes defined for a certain airport and without knowing the particular database scheme I would suspect that the query to get the flights is a simple JOIN statement. That's not really something that should make the server weep :mrgreen:

Mattyb21
Ticket Agent

Post by Mattyb21 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:37 am

Our "sweeping statements" as you call them, those statements are the ones that stop people from getting killed. Yeah sure, go fast on a taxiway, hit something similar to a pothole and there is some damage for you. Also being careless around where people or ground vehicles might be is plain stupid. Sure, go ahead if you want to fly without thinking first, but pilots who can't make good decisions do not stay pilots for long.

conmanflyer

Post by conmanflyer » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:38 pm

its still a sweeping idea, generally there is low speed taxi... but you CAN high speed taxi where permited.. (when there is no slow pokes in front)