Airport name

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Airport name

Post by joefremont » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:42 pm

In some places in the site we display the name of the airport (John F. Kennedy International Airport) in others we display city name/ICAO (New York/KJFK). I would like to standardise these all and my preference would be city name/ICAO, does anyone have an opinion on this?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Re: Airport name

Post by flightsimer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:36 am

can you give a current example page?
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

PCD001
Flight Attendant

Post by PCD001 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:48 am

Either one :-

City Name/ICAO
or
ICAO/City Name
Bob
----
The "New" Cheap Fuel Operator . & . 'T' Tail Fan !!

alemaobaiano
Captain

Post by alemaobaiano » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:34 am

City name/ICAO is better from our point of view, mainly as many airports in Brazil have more than one name. Governor André Franco Montoro International Airport, Cumbica International Airport, and Guarulhos International Airport are all names commonly used for SBGR, so Sao Paulo/SBGR is much easier, if inaccurate :roll:

TTFN

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:50 pm

Tony, out of those 3, which name is on the Airport Charts? There is only 1 official name for an airport/ICAO combination. You're speaking of the current official name, and 2 previous names. This is not unusual for the public to talk about an airport using a previous name, but there is only one which is official.

As for how to show it, showing City name and ICAO only can cause problems as well unless you know what ICAO you're looking for as you can have multiple commercial airports in the same city (Chicago, Dallas, New York, London, Berlin, Moscow, Tokyo, etc). In reality we need all 3 showing at minimum during route creation to prevent confusion as to which airport is which. Otherwise, we need to show Airport ICAO and name on the flight side as that's what you plan your flights on. For the Flight Tracker, I think you should show City & ICAO as that's what the "public" would see.

I think how we have it now can use tweaks, but I think that making them all show only the same information causes as many problems as it will fix because you don't always need to see the same information.

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:10 pm

CAPFlyer wrote:Tony, out of those 3, which name is on the Airport Charts? There is only 1 official name for an airport/ICAO combination. You're speaking of the current official name, and 2 previous names. This is not unusual for the public to talk about an airport using a previous name, but there is only one which is official.
Agreed Chris, I still call JFK Idlewild.

As far as prefrences go, I would like to see ICAO/City Name preferring the ICAO in front.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:00 pm

Two examples are your profile page, which shows just the airport name, and the booking page which shows City/ICAO. On the booking page I like having city first since I usually know what city I want to fly to but don't always know what the ICAO is, since its sorted by city name first its quick to locate.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi Joe,

There is a wider issue here when we have pilots who wish to use real world names/ICAO's in FS9, FSX because they are local and they know what it's called. We have folk who wish to change ICAO's and names of airports at the drop of a hat the minute they change and at some point we would have airports using real life names and real life ICAO's that aren't able to be found in either of the supported simulators. If FSA will be able to support both sims ICAO codes/names as well as real life codes/names then they should all be published on the airport database pages. Until that time, even if the approach plates in real life say one thing, we should stick with the codes/names in the current 'main' sim FS9. Personally I prefer ICAO/Name, especially if the format migrates to the airport page drop down menus.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

alemaobaiano
Captain

Post by alemaobaiano » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:29 pm

Chris, the official name on the charts is Guarulhos International, the official state of Sao Paulo name is Franco Montoro, and the name routinely used by ATC (the real world one) talking to Brazilian carriers is Cumbica. So yes, you are correct, there is only one official name, but it is by no means the only one used.