ability for leasers to repo aircraft from leasee

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

ability for leasers to repo aircraft from leasee

Post by flightsimer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:08 am

i wish that something could be implemented so that if an airline doesnt fly an aircraft in X amount of time that the leaser can take back the plane. tomarrow ill have a plane come back from a 180 day lease. this plane hasnt been flown once this whole time. in fact the airline hasnt even made one flight since march. so it would have been nice it i could have repoed it after a amount of time had passed instead of waiting for it to come back.

it would be nice if we have a box on the leasing page that says return to owner if not flown for X% of the leasing period. maybe have 10% the lowest possible. and if something would come up within the leasing airline and they cant fly it for a certain period, then have a button like the end lease button only it would be to get permission extend the amount of time the plane could sit idle.

or maybe it should just have a default percent, instead of having the airlines setting it, like say 25%. i think this should only be applied to leases that are 45 day or more.

it doesnt really matter how its done, they just needs to be something that will return an aircraft to it origional owner if its not being used for an extrememly long period of time. its really annoying having a plane stuck at an airline that isnt even using it when it could be at one where it is being used. i would rather have the plane back and sitting in my airline making no money than having it sitting at another and getting paid for it but then i cant change anything about the plane.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

vaccaro
Captain

Re: ability for leasers to repo aircraft from leasee

Post by vaccaro » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:40 am

What is the problem here?
The airline X leases an a/c from me so they have paid for the lease and has the right to use the a/c.
It is their problem if they fly or keep it on the ground or fly 7/24 as long as they return it in conditions and to the place I have asked at the time of contract.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:45 am

well, i should have specified more i guess, but they didnt make a large upfront payment, this one i had was set up with weekly payments.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

hezza
Captain

Post by hezza » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:52 am

If you make a lease agreement and another company accepts then you should be happy, otherwise make one that you can be happy with!
It really makes no difference to the leaser what the leasee uses the a/c for does it?

If there was a repossess option then leasing companies would build large upfront payments into the lease agreement hoping to be able to snatch the a/c back at some point and do the same thing again to another customer.

G

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:30 pm

And then the Admins would step in an shut down the VA.

I think the ability to repo an aircraft that hasn't been used and hasn't been paid for would be a fair option. It's unfair for the owner to be unable to generate revenue from an airplane because a VA leases it and then doesn't use it. In the real world, they would be able to take it back if it wasn't used, so I don't see why it can't be done here too.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:33 pm

If the leasing airline can't make the lease payments the aircraft is automatically returned to the owner. I could see if the leasing airline is abusing the plane (ie damaging it and not repairing it) then there may be cause to terminate the lease. But if they are making there payments and just not using it, (maybe holding it in reserve), I don't see cause to terminate the lease.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:37 pm

i guess my case would be one of the ones where it should be allowed because of the factors that are happening within the airline that leased it from me...

there is no CEO there and all of the pilots are students so they cant fly it because nobody can make routes for it. they have 100mil just sitting in their account.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:16 pm

flightsimer wrote:i guess my case would be one of the ones where it should be allowed because of the factors that are happening within the airline that leased it from me...

there is no CEO there and all of the pilots are students so they cant fly it because nobody can make routes for it. they have 100mil just sitting in their account.
Well that sounds like an entirely different problem, what is the airline in question?
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:40 pm

well its British Airlines, but my plane will be back sometime today so dont worry about it...

i didnt even know that there wasnt a ceo until last night when i looked at the airline.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

conmanflyer

Post by conmanflyer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:25 am

well what about if you could "repo" you would have to refund the airlines money... w/ a fine of 1 million v$? or somthing

netshadoe
Ticket Agent

Post by netshadoe » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:47 pm

If you lease a Ferrari to have in your driveway just for "show" (say you are vain :D ), never drive it, but you payed for it, should Ferrari repossess the car because its just sitting there?

If a lease is payed for and in good standing, the contract terms should be honored.
Devin
CYOW

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:34 pm

The difference in airlines is that usually there are other factors in these leases. If your Ferrari just sits in the driveway for show, putting it back on the road would probably mean as little as checking the oil and air pressure in the tires and charging the battery (if you didn't think to disconnect it and take it inside when you parked it). With an airplane, it means doing several maintenance checks that are quite expensive and offsetting much of the revenue you generated by leasing out the airplane.

I have seen real world leases terminated by the owner in the past because of this. The lease in one case didn't implicitly have any "use terms", but the operator in question parked the plane as surplus to its requirements and failed to complete 2 required maintenance checks on the normal schedule. When that happened, the owner terminated the lease on the grounds that the lessee was not maintaining the terms of the lease. As they were paying on a monthly basis, there were no funds to return, and the owner sent a crew and mechanics to do the maintenance checks and take the plane back.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:01 am

also, i should say, i ddont want this to be a mandatory thing but something that the leaser airline could "check" on the leasing page before they put it on the market to make this active for their lease contract. some airlines might not care, but others might.

like Chris said, in his example, they broke the lease contract, so maybe this could just be added as a term that may or may not apply to all leases depending on how the leaser feels about the subject.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

PCD001
Flight Attendant

Post by PCD001 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:02 am

This is not the real world. This is FSAirlines.
If an Aircraft is 100% (maintenance) and not used . . . . in 9 months time it will still be 100%
If a VA that lease an aircraft break their contract through lack of payment or whatever, then all well and good reposes it, otherwise I fail to see the big deal.
Bob
----
The "New" Cheap Fuel Operator . & . 'T' Tail Fan !!

lexarne
Captain

Post by lexarne » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:38 am

PCD001 wrote:This is not the real world. This is FSAirlines.
If an Aircraft is 100% (maintenance) and not used . . . . in 9 months time it will still be 100%
If a VA that lease an aircraft break their contract through lack of payment or whatever, then all well and good reposes it, otherwise I fail to see the big deal.

I agree with Bob i don't see the big deal with this topic...The plane doesn't get damaged if not used...so you get it back at the same % as you gave it away.. :?