Changes to the Edit Pages

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Changes to the Edit Pages

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:04 pm

I'm putting this in the public view because I want to see some feedback on this from you guys (the users) as well as putting this up for Konny, Claudio, and Joe, to see.

Basically, I'd like to see a few changes to the database entry forms that the public sees.

First, I think we should remove the number of seats and price fields from the Edit Aircraft Type screen. For the few times we need to update these after an aircraft type is added to the database, I think it could be much more easily be dealt with by a staff member editing it directly after receiving a support ticket request (with supporting information linked or cited within it to show where they found the information). I say this simply because the vast majority of aircraft edit requests we receive are for addition of seats (i.e. from the correct 2/3-class arrangment to a 1-class, high density arrangement) or for a change of price (i.e from 400Mv$ to 400v$) because of people being unable to understand in the former that the requirements for how many seats are to be on an aircraft is fixed per type, not per individual aircraft and that the requirements are listed; and for the latter that they need to not put punctuation in or it will come out wrong.

Second, I think that in both the "Edit Airport" and "Add New Airport" screens we should add a button onto the "Runway Lengths" dialogue that allows the user to select "Feet" or "Meters" when putting in the runway lengths. It is not always possible to find the runway lengths in one or the other, so not having to do the conversion themselves would help (i.e. the database does the conversion automatically simply by specifying). In addition, this would allow the lengths of the runways to be listed individually (i.e. have 4 or 5 separate boxes to enter lengths instead of just one) and for the lengths to display in either feet or meters depending on the user's prefereneces in their profile.

Third, I think that all weights in the "Edit Aircraft Type" and "Add New Aircraft Type" should be selectable between English/Standard & Metric measures (aka radio buttons to switch between LBS or KG and buttons to switch between KTS and KPH) at the start of the page so that again, all information on an aircraft can be entered and viewed both directly from the information available to the person making the request. I don't think this would be hard to do since you can already view the weights and information in this way based on your user preferences.

I think these relatively minor changes will not take up any additional database space (since it's all macros to do this and not necessarily new fields being recorded), and it will vastly decrease the number of errors we (the Database Admins) see when we go to process these requests.

Feedback welcome!

alemaobaiano
Captain

Re: Changes to the Edit Pages

Post by alemaobaiano » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Good suggestions Chris, I usually have to covert units to add or edit aircraft or airports, and that would certainly help the process.

As for aircraft seats and price, IMHO that should be an admin task anyway.

TTFN

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Re: Changes to the Edit Pages

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:25 pm

For aircraft additions, we like people to fill out all the fields because it just means we have to check everything, but for edits, yeah, it's a pain to have to go through a dozen aircraft edits just to hit "Deny" on every one because someone tried to change the price and used punctuation and so the Million Dollar airplanes are going for dollars. :)