Here's a controversial idea regards simrate/stats

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Here's a controversial idea regards simrate/stats

Post by Quantum » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Hi,

There has been lots of discussion regards use of sim rate over they years and it will probably always be debated from time to time. I personally do not have an issue with the use of sim rate 'within reason'. Particularly on long haul flights it is often impracticable or impossible to fly the route at 1x sim rate, conversely it is maybe OTT to fly the route at 16x. People argue that they don't have time to fly unless they use 16x but then they will do several back to back flights negating their argument. My answer to them is to determine the time they have available for their sim session and pick a route to fit. Now for the controversial bit :-

Treat any flight that has used a sim rate of 8x or higher the same as a training flight regards finances/fuel state. What does this mean? It means that the revenue does not get added to the VA finances and the aircrafts fuel state post flight reverts to what it was pre flight. Anyone flight which uses sim rate of 4x or lower has the full revenue and any bonuses for using lower sim rates. You want to earn money ? Then restrict your flights to max sim rate of 4x.

Before anyone shouts that that is unfair and "I can't fly longhaul and get any revenue", I would argue that a 10 hour flight at 4x would fit comfortably into a 3 hour sim session. Most people will spend longer than that for a sim session and for those that don't then they can pick a shorter flight to fit the time available. You could also drop any flights of 8x or higher from the stats.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

Telide
Flight Attendant

Re: Here's a controversial idea regards simrate/stats

Post by Telide » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:04 pm

John I am not going to yell at you at all other than saying...

GREAT IDEA

I love it and I think it would slow down alot of the big airlines on here to what they realy should be

you have my vote for this :)
ImageImage

Dash Airways.....
A small Airline Based at london Heathrow operating 6x B734 3x CRJ7 2x DH8B pilots and managers needed

Join Here

alemaobaiano
Captain

Post by alemaobaiano » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:01 pm

Sounds good to me John, I have no problem with flights at 16x when the pilot really doesn't have time to fly at lower rates, but when people are doing two or three in the same session it rather defeats the object.

TTFN

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:42 pm

I would modify this somewhat. Since we have the cruise speeds of all of our aircraft in the database, why not automate the process?

I would propose the following be automated -

1) Flight Times - You put in the departure time, the system automatically will display a "standard" arrival time that takes the distance divided by the speed and then adds 30 minutes (for taxi in/out & a short hold).

2) Available Sim Rate - The available Sim Rate should be restricted based on flight time. For example - any flight calculated to last less than 2:00 (2 hours) will only have 1x available. Any flight between 2:01 and 4:00 in duration only has 1x & 2x available. Any flight from 4:01 to 8:00 has up to 4x available. Any flight from 8:01 to 10:00 and up has 8x available. Any flight over 10:00 has up to 16x available.

3) Revenue Penalty - When the system detects more than 1 8x or 16x flight in a day, it applies a sliding scale of revenue for each subsequent flight (i.e. first gets 100% of the revenue, second gets 75%, third 50%, fourth 25%, fifth and over gets training). This way if they really need to fly at 8x or 16x, they can but if they use it to make a lot of flight, there is a diminishing return that will discourage them from doing it very often.

vaccaro
Captain

Post by vaccaro » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Why we have to complicate things? 16x already have its cons. You don't get bonus (which I don't care).

I still insist on not restricting anything other than number of hours a member can fly in 24 hours. Let's say this restriction is 15 hours.
I do a 16x flight which if flown 1x has a duration of 10 hours. After that flight, if I click on "book" and chose anything over 5 hours the system should automatically refuse my request regardless the simrate set.

I just can't understand why people can't bear with others having fun. This is a game. If people wants to be number one in the statistics I can transfer my hours to them. If they want money, I can transfer some money to their airlines.

Why is it so irritating see people enjoying a GAME I really cannot understand.

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:10 pm

Chris,

I think it should be left to individuals to choose what sim rate they use and not be enforced in any other way. Keep it simple, let pilots choose the sim rate they want to use with the implications of higher sim rates.

Arslan,

I wouldn't want to see duty hours restrictions which would stop someone flying on FSA. I've used an economy system which restricts hours and it can be a pain. Simple answer, let people fly when they want with the sim rate they want but accepting the implications of using the higher sim rate.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:36 pm

CAPFlyer wrote:2) Available Sim Rate - The available Sim Rate should be restricted based on flight time. For example - any flight calculated to last less than 2:00 (2 hours) will only have 1x available. Any flight between 2:01 and 4:00 in duration only has 1x & 2x available. Any flight from 4:01 to 8:00 has up to 4x available. Any flight from 8:01 to 10:00 and up has 8x available. Any flight over 10:00 has up to 16x available.
Chris,

While I now only use 4x or lower, I think that automating the available simrate would be very unfair because I like to fly one hour flights at 4x, while it takes me 35 minutes or so to complete the flights since I spend all of descent, take off and taxi at 1x, I think that under your proposed scale, I would always be forced to do 1x or 2x. Spending cruise at 1 or 2x can be very painful at times.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:59 pm

OK JUST GET RID OF THE STATS if you are going to pentalize me or anyone else that likes flying on 16x. if you dont choose to use 16x thats your doing, not my problem. i fly 16x because my favorite part of the flight is the most dangerous, takeoff and landing, and then taxiing. I dont want to have to wait 4 hours just to do my favorite part when i can used 16x and get to do it in 15min. i do this for two reasons: to have fun flying and to be able to run a airline (business whise). this "idea" will take away one of those...

why not instead of pentalizing people who use 16x, just increase the "bonuses" for people who dont?
vaccaro wrote:Why we have to complicate things?

I just can't understand why people can't bear with others having fun. This is a game. If people wants to be number one in the statistics I can transfer my hours to them. If they want money, I can transfer some money to their airlines.

Why is it so irritating see people enjoying a GAME I really cannot understand.
+1
+1
+1
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Telide
Flight Attendant

Post by Telide » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:51 pm

well if was figured that this topic would get alot of attention so here is a thought that might please most

flight done at up to x2 the airlines set multiplyer used
flight done from x2 to x8 half airline multiplyer used (so it multiplyer set to 500 you would get 250)
flight done a x16 no mulitplyer

for those airlines that use no multiplyer that are interested in realisum use johns idea

No offence to any member here but this is an "economy" simulator and to simulate the economy you need some realisum and if you do not want to run an airline etc with realisum in mind why did you join FSA?

I would like to see this put in place to allow the simulation to become more real and I think that is what this place needs

Will
ImageImage

Dash Airways.....
A small Airline Based at london Heathrow operating 6x B734 3x CRJ7 2x DH8B pilots and managers needed

Join Here

vaccaro
Captain

Post by vaccaro » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:11 pm

I have joined here because i don't wanna pay for other logbook and flight tracker stuff.
Besides, TC is alread discouraged by less bonus.
I have already written something about realism.
It is not and won't be realistic.
If you really want realism try flying only a/c certified for 1 pilot. Which also is not realistic because all you see is a PC monitor in front of you.
As the real pilots say, you don't feel it with your ass.
And why did you join here?
You can purchase a copy of airline tycoon and enjoy the realism in economy simulation to the max. :)

If anyone needs money and hours because they wanna be worlds richest in terms of VIRTUAL dollars, let me know. I will transfer some money to their airline. If the aim is to be number one in the statistics again I can transfer the hours flown by Air Mermaid to them.
I could have flown their routes for them but I am afraid they only have 1x and I easily get bored during a flight.

Sorry about being too REALISTIC about the subject. But ther REALITY is, this is a game. ;)

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:21 pm

Telide wrote:No offence to any member here but this is an "economy" simulator and to simulate the economy you need some realisum and if you do not want to run an airline etc with realisum in mind why did you join FSA?

I would like to see this put in place to allow the simulation to become more real and I think that is what this place needs

Will
this is no where near a real economy. what do most airlines here fly? the plane they want to. alot of airlines fly both the 737 and A320 families. give me one example in RW that both fly the A320 and 737NG because they want to? you probably wont find any. because it would be hell for them to maintain two seperate fleets and having two training programs for pilots along with other things that might go along with the planes. we can set any aircraft on a route and have it filled. there is no features that makes us have to consider what aircraft we want on it like in RW. We should also weed out the smallest VA's to get down to a realistic number or airlines just like RW... keep Va's within their region that they signed up for, etc...

the only way this can please everyone is if you have to parts of FSA and realistic and fun. realistic will have everything in it that would happen in RW...
Last edited by flightsimer on Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

AdmiralRolfe
Captain

Post by AdmiralRolfe » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:37 pm

John, decreasing the revenue for higher sim rate flights is in my opinion the best option available.

However, even 16x flights took time, so something must be given.

Using the equation sqrt (-x+17) * 25 - 10, you can get the percentages for the different sim rates. The only exception would be 1x, which will remain at 100% despite the equation yielding 90%.

At 1x, you get 100%.
At 2x, you get 87%.
At 4x, you get 80%.
At 8x, you get 65%.
At 16x, you get 15%.

Of course, this is all calculated AFTER THE MULTIPLIER.

The drop is very little at lower simrates while steep at higher rates, so this will encourage most airlines to bump up simrates, even by a little, because the gain is incredible with each downstep. Then between 1x and 2x there is a bigger gain because it will encourage more airlines to just give a final bump to get to 100% revenue.
ImageImage

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:49 pm

tell me why should i care about how you run your airline and why you should mine? you dont have to fly with me and if a pilot of mine doesnt like that we are not as realistic as possible, then i would tell him you dont have to stay with us if you dont want to and good luck at your next airline (if they left).
Last edited by flightsimer on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:52 pm

Or we can simply leave it as it is.

While sure, other airlines are earning more money by doing constant 16x longhaul flights but that hardly affects your airline if any at all.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:00 am

I think the fairest way of doing it would be to scrap the bonus and reduce the payment for the flight as follows 2x=10% cut
4x=20% cut
8x=40% cut
16x=80% cut. :wink:
Yours Stan