Fuel consumption

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

LESairways

Fuel consumption

Post by LESairways » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:29 am

Is there a way to simulate an aircraft running out of fuel, somehow overiding a pilot putting the fuel on "unlimited" in the options menu? The same way we have aircraft failures if the fleet is not repaired. Just a thought, might be a definite way of determining actual airline values.

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:08 am

There probably is, but right now, its an honesty thing. I know a few people dont fuel up their planes the right way, but its ony hurting them, no one else.

i think in the future, when you can change your fuel load (ie if you made a mistake) it would be fine to have the VA's CEO have a toggle for flights to allow for fuel loss=engine out. (Sort of like right now how they can enforec 1x 2x 4x 8x 16x time compression)

But yeah, good idea.

LESairways

Post by LESairways » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:55 pm

Yes, a toggle could work. Either way, I think that fuel remaining should be one of the reported items in each flight log. Possibly even knocking off 5% to the pilot rating if the aircraft runs out of fuel. That would make thinga bit more realistic without taking any fun away from FlyNet.

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:03 pm

I like the 5% penalty, but for something so serious, I think a biger knock, 10%, would be more appropriate. And maybe 5 off the airlines reputation as well. A fleet of gimli ggliders doesnt inspire confidence now does it?

LESairways

Post by LESairways » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:49 pm

I agree a stiff penalty should be enforced, but the stiffer the restrictions get, theres seems to be quite a bit of opposition to more regulations here. But yes, 10% or more deduction is great. Landing an A340 after youve run out of fuel at FL360 is a huge challenge, and you'll most likely never land at your destination airport,even if you do get it to a runway. Isnt the deduction for landing at the wrong airport a big hit? If so, this fuel restriction should definitely be given a good review, being as its pretty much worse than just landing at the wrong airport.

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:51 am

I wasn't aware you could hit unlimited right now anyway. After I start up FlyNet, it resets a lot of my non-FlyNet settings and automatically sets my fuel state. I haven't tried starting with "Unlimited Fuel" checked, but after FlyNet is on, it locks me out of the "Aircraft" menu completely, so I can't change any settings anyway.

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:36 am

My friend Lester, it seems you give ideas to people. :)

CAP, you are right you cannot change it after starting the Client but you could have done it before. The FS settings would be kept as defined by the user in that case. For sure you are one of those honest people in FlyNet who would not do this (glad to talk to such people) but there are some who have done so. A scan in the PIREPS would show this. I have personally scanned such PIREPS. However we cannot blame anyone for doing so intentionally. Some people prefer to fly with an "easy" set of aircraft's realism, they did not thought to change it as it is the default after you install FS or they even don't know how to change the realism settings. But yes, it can be done (unfortunately).

Do you want to know how you can tell from a PIREP that the unlimited fuel was on and used in the flight?
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

cmdrnmartin
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by cmdrnmartin » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:19 pm

If the fuel bought exactly equals the block fuel.

Ionathan
Captain

Post by Ionathan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:25 pm

Right on target!
CEO
Ionathan Airlines

cjk2448

Post by cjk2448 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:01 am

I had a pilot fly for me for a week or so before going off somewhere else. I saw that he was getting exactly the same fuel burn as he bought, and I could never figure it out. He said it was just lucky planning. Well now I know what it was :-P If he knew it or not I don't know, but anyoo.