Maintenance Cost Formula revisited

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Re: Maintenance Cost Formula revisited

Post by IslandBum » Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:47 am

John
I agree with you as to the "emergency" button -- here in the real world I have several options on the companies flight tracking sytem that include
things like "RG = Return to Gate" FL - Flag Stop FS =Fuel Stop - DW = Divert Weather , DR = Divert Mechanical etc etc -- Obviously the folks at FSAirlines dont need that many Options but I think you have it with Diversion or Divert -- later down the road IF the interest is there, prehaps a more detailed dialogue could be created giving reasons for diversions with prehaps a reward/punishment system -- just a thought

as to the mainteance system - Young Tyler does have a point about Heavy Checks -- C Check (We dont use D in the US) are classified by systems to be
overhauled and during these things like seating reconfiguration - conversions (even to cargo config form passenger) maybe be performed - but at obviously
an increased price - lets say for instance I have a 727 in my possession that is surplus to needs in Passenger configuration but I wish to add it to my cargo
fleet -- this could be scheduled when the aircraft goes to heavy phase and it would return to service in a different configuration and at a different value.

Just some thoughts

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:16 am

Umm, Leif, you guys may not use "D" check, but United, Air Wisconsin, Continental, and Air Tahoma all do for sure and I'm pretty sure UPS and FedEx do too. It's based on your maintenance program of course, but most of the manufacturers still reccomend a "D" check every 5 years or so with a complete tear-down of the plane. A "C" check only pulls the interior and opens the inspection panels. A "D" check also pulls the floor out, replaces the cargo bay interior, and usually involves dismounting everything that can be dismounted for detailed inspection. When I was at Air Wisconsin, we launched 2 BAe-146's out of Denver just a week before 9/11 to go for "D" checks in Alabama while 2 others were then picked up by the same crews and brought back.

IslandBum
Captain
Location: The middle of a bloody desert - surrounded by bright lights, long legged women and Paupers

Post by IslandBum » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:38 am

Chris

Im not going to belabor the point - our heavy maintenance is done by American in Tulsa - 8 of the original fleet are have now been with us six years
the heaviest maintainance is a C12 check which involves as you decribe removing major components (we have had three that have had gear replacements)
I asked my pet maintenance controller -- instead of D as I said the C checks are coded by which system is completely torn down - progressive maintenance
rather than doing everything in one check and losing an aircraft for long periods of time. BTW he worked the hangar as an inspector for COA - and says that
they stopped doing complete D checks in the days of Six - In fact ALL checks are now done on scheduled system checks - A and C checks (no Bs either) all
have a numerical suffix which shows the "severity" of the inspection - an A check can be done over night in base - an A12 takes almost 24 hours to complete
and entails more than "open inspections panels" This has been the norm with the last five carriers I have worked for - under the aging airframe program
a D check is more expensive than the hull value and usually means beer can time.

Leif
Ho'olu komo la kaua
Leif Harding
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Venture Hawaii PLC

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:26 pm

If a D check is only done every 5 years it may be beyond the time frame we deal with, plus I would not want anyone turning there old airframes into beer cans. (besides, beer should be served in bottles not cans).

We could make failures optional, but there probably should be some reward or bonus for flying with it turned on. Maybe extra cash/higher ratings/reputation/less damage/etc.
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

vaccaro
Captain

Post by vaccaro » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:58 pm

besides, beer should be served in bottles not cans
agree 100% :)
We could make failures optional, but there probably should be some reward or bonus for flying with it turned on. Maybe extra cash/higher ratings/reputation/less damage/etc.
Maybe some bonus thingy like 1x vs 16x

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:53 am

Hi,

Re the penalties. Regarding them being optional, this could be implemented by random penalties not becoming 'active' until an aircrafts maintenance dropped below a certain percentage. If folk want to avoid the penalties they have to have increased frequency of maintenance to keep the aircraft above that % point - a built in financial penalty in itself.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:43 pm

And the random penalties could be called "Regulatory Fines"... :)