Another way to fuel cheat

You are missing something, or have a cool idea for us ? Tell us here !

Moderator: FSAirlines Staff

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Re: Another way to fuel cheat

Post by flightsimer » Sun May 18, 2008 3:16 am

keep seeing this come up, but what awards, i have yet to see any... werent they turned off...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

hezza
Captain

Post by hezza » Sun May 18, 2008 10:24 am

[
CAPFlyer wrote:As well, his time stats only increase at the 1x rate and his mileage, passenger, and cargo statistics are affected by the repeated use of sim acceleration.
First of all, apologies for going somewhat off topic, but it is in response to incorrect assertions by an administrator.

After further investigation we can see that the above assertion is also blatantly false. :roll:

For example the airline currently "winning" the passenger miles ranking has 90 flights, all (or maybe most) at 16x simulation.
The flights are with A388 over approximately 8000nm. So: 90x555x8000=400,000,000 as listed.
If the stats where to be modified for time compression then the total should be 400,000,000/16=25,000,000 instead.

As a secondary point, on 1 day alone 9 such flights were filed, a total of over 150 hours per day by 1 pilot!?! :shock:

As stated before, there is good justification for doing a single flight with compression if that is the only way to do it within one real life commitments.
But in my opinion, and the figures above are only one example among many, this type of serial use is taking the ****.

My suggestion would be to allow time compression on all flights, but then divide the net profit and all stat entries by the compression used.
Then 1 flight at 1x, or 4 flights at 4x, or 16 flights at 16x etc all have the same perceived value.
No-one would be restricted in the amount of flying they could do, yet the achievements of all airlines would be measured equally.

Regards,

Graham (who also uses compression sometimes, but only when necessary, and never to enable filing of more hours than there are in a day.)

CAPFlyer
Chief Pilot

Post by CAPFlyer » Sun May 18, 2008 1:58 pm

First Graham, my statements were not blatantly false. In fact, I think you might wish to reconsider taking that tact in the future.

Second, the stats are affected. When you use time acceleration while the stats still "rack up", the awards that were handed out were adjusted to take into account the repeated use of time acceleration.

It had been proposed in the past that a pilot be "locked out" whenever they used Time Acceleration to keep them from flying again until the time the flight would have taken at 1x had passed (i.e. if the PIREP reported that it took 15 hours "sim time" to fly, then it would be 15 hours from your departure time before you could book another flight), but that encountered a lot of flak for being unfair to those who can only fly 1 or 2 days a week. It had also been proposed that we impliment a "24 hour" rule meaning that no airplane could be flown more than 24 sim hours a day so that if a plane could not be booked for a flight if that flight's scheduled duration would take its utilization beyond 24 hours (there's no 24 hour flights in the real world anyway and none of the planes that even flew commercially had that kind of endurance either).

Either of these would be a better solution because you are unfairly penalizing pilots using time acceleration as a function of their real lives instead of those whom are abusing the system.

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Sun May 18, 2008 4:10 pm

In terms of the acceleration, while I can see some advantages limiting the number of hours a pilot can fly I am not a fan of that. For those who want to do multiple long haul flights a day, they might be tempted to either create fake pilots to do the other flights or use a different service, neither of which I would want to encourage.

Currently the on the stats page, we do reduce hours by the acceleration factor but not miles, we could do so if it would that's what ppl want. Although I don't know if the pilot who flies the 10 hour flight at x16 deserves those miles less than the pilot who leaves the cockpit for 9 hour, but that's a topic for a different thread. Since konny turned off the awards they are not an issue until they return.

Back to the original topic, when the multiplier is dynamic it ranges from x1000 to x200 based on the value of the airline, when set manually it can range from x500 to x50, we could limit manually setting to what the dynamic multiplier whould be but we don't do so now. As for the proposed fuel reduction maybe we can find a way that it only starts with the second change of the mulitplier that month
I've sworn an oath of solitude until the pestilence is purged from the lands.

flightsimer
Chief Pilot

Post by flightsimer » Mon May 19, 2008 12:02 am

have a quick question... im set on dynamic right now, its at 300, if i set it to 500, will it go up, i was always under the impression (ill use myself again) that once you go past a certain point (300 for me) that if you try to set it back up, it still would only go up to what it would be on dynamic...

if you make it so that pilots cant use the TC, then people will quit... i use it, even on 100nm flights, not because i want to get ahead (well most of the time i dont use it for that reason :D ) but i use it because i like landing, takeing off, and taxiing, so i would rather fly faster and get there sooner so i can land and taxi, than to spend the 5 hours in the air doing absolutely nothing... its my choice to do that, and its others not to... if you think that using 16X is unfair, then i should ask that the bonus for people using 1x be removed because it is unfair that the 16x people dont get it... the reason we have the bonus, so that 1x airlines can have an equal financial standing as people using TC... as to the stats, whats the problem? even though people use TC, why should they get pentalized, because those flights were indeed flown... if you want to change it, then you will also have to take into affect the number of pilots that airline has... because then people will be complaining about the big airlines that have pilots in the double digits, taking up the stats, and the one man show airlines wont be shown properly... in the end, what does the stats have anything to do with the game... they are just there... its not like u get anything for them... if they are that big of a problem then maybe they should be removed, which i hope they dont get...

and back on subject after i got it off again... another possible problem... one of stan's post let me think this up... he was talking about a leasing bug .... bla bla blaa... which is not related to this... but the one thing he said was he normally got planes back (before this bug) with 100% fuel... well what if i lease u a plane and it comes back at 100% and im at x500 and the leasor was only at x50, then when that plane comes up the fuel, shouldnt be taken away...
Owner/CEO
North Eastern Airways

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Mon May 19, 2008 11:07 am

Joe,

Is it possible for the multiplier edit function to only show options below the current multiplier? That way, if someone reduces the multiplier then they can't increase it again. If someone has made an error in selection then they must send an email requesting the multiplier be increased and their reasons why.

Regards

John
CEO - Classic British Flight Services
Classic aircraft on Classic routes
ImageImage

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue May 20, 2008 12:53 am

John,

Limiting the multiplier edit to only show options below the current multiplier would be easy to code, as would the suggestion we only let them edit the multiplier once a week/month. The fear I have is that its going to make a lot more work for the admins every time someone changes it on accident.

alasizon
FSAirlines DB and Wiki Admin

Post by alasizon » Tue May 20, 2008 2:43 am

Joe,

Another option would be to limit it to dynamic and 50x. Would make it the most profitable and most realistic options available and would make it easier on the admins.
Matt-FSAirlines DB Admin

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Tue May 20, 2008 10:50 am

alasizon wrote:Joe,

Another option would be to limit it to dynamic and 50x. Would make it the most profitable and most realistic options available and would make it easier on the admins.
Unfortunately that wouldn't fix the 'problem'. If a VA's multiplier was 1000/500 or whatever, they can still switch between that and 50x and get the same gains.

Just out of interest, how many VA's are actually selecting 50x ? Maybe it's worth considering removing the selectable option and making the multiplier dynamic permanently. We could then let the multiplier continually reduce to 50x or lower according to the VA's value. Once a VA goes beyond a certain value, most have plenty of cash for acquisitions and it would make people think more about their purchases and require a bit more forward planning. Currently it is very easy to buy and scrap aircraft without too much consideration of financial implications as future income is almost guaranteed and very quick to accumulate.

Less than 5 billion = 1000x
Above 5 billion = 500x
Above 6 billion = 400x
Above 7 billion = 300x
Above 8 billion = 200x
Above 9 billion = 100x
Above 10 billion = 50x
Above 15 billion = 20x

Food for thought.

Regards

John
ImageImage

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Tue May 20, 2008 2:35 pm

All in favour of that Quantum(scrapping adjustable and just having the dynamic).Sorry cant do those quote things.
Yours Stan

tjbaughn
Captain

Post by tjbaughn » Tue May 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Sorry most of this is way off base!

Man, will this upset a lot of people. But since this is just a beta and the real deal is coming soon, how about we do this. Every VA loses all of it’s planes, monies, etc and start fresh. FSAirlines loans each company $25 to $100 million for a period of 60-90 days for the purchase or lease of aircraft to get started with. At the end of the loan it must be repaid.

Now everyone wants this program to be more realistic, I think we can take it an extra step and do away with the multiplier all together, no need for airlines to receive even 50X. The way it is set up today why would anyone want to join another airline, you get so much money to start up with, if you factor in your first flight can net you a ton of V$, now I understand I would be giving up a lot of dollars in virtual bucks (over 20 billion) but it would be ok to start over (fresh). Now I understand some of the large leasing companies would not agree with this at all and most of the admin staff would say I am crazy (at least the Texan).

I also fly for another online flight sim group similar to FlyNet/FSAirlines and they do not want you to use time compression at all. You fly at 1X with them and I enjoy it, I will be honest I only fly one or two flights a month with them due to my crazy work hours and my other duties with my gaming group. So I do fly a lot more here, because I can use time compression.

Either way you guys decide to go is ok by me, but please leave the time compression in due to the fact some of us work, have families, or just have a real life.
ImageImage

joefremont
FSAirlines Developer

Post by joefremont » Tue May 20, 2008 6:27 pm

I mispoke myself earlier. If the multiplier for your airline is greater than the calculated dynamic multiplier, the calculated dynamic multiplier is used. The current dynamic multiplier is calculated as follows.

Less than 500 million = 1000x
Less than 3 billion = 500x
Less than 5 billion = 400x
Less than 10 billion = 300x
10 billion or greater = 200x

And it does so based on your cash and the value of the aircraft your operating (owned and leased), but not those you own but have leased to other companies. As has been stated this is to allow airlines to quickly build up there size but I think that if you have an airline with 5 billion+ in assets you have a very large airline and don't really need much more help. So how about this for an idea, maybe we should alter the dynamic multiplier calculation to include the value of aircraft leased to other airlines and calculate the multiplier as follows:

Less than 500 million = 1000x
Less than 1 billion = 500x
Less than 2 billion = 400x
Less than 3 billion = 300x
Less than 4 billion = 200x
Less than 5 billion = 100x
5 billion or greater = 50x

Yes, this will make it harder to build an airline worth 10's of billions of v$ but as long as everyone is playing on a level field it should mean more when you do so.

While we do plan on eventually having airlines start with a loan rather than a gift of money, I would think that if we made everyone start from scratch that would cause a major revolt.

Quantum
FSAirlines DB Admin

Post by Quantum » Tue May 20, 2008 11:28 pm

Hi Joe,

I think aircraft values should be allocated to the finances of the lessor and not the lessee at all times. I also think the multiplier could go lower, maybe 20x above a value of 10 billion?

Regards

John
ImageImage

tjbaughn
Captain

Post by tjbaughn » Thu May 22, 2008 11:28 pm

Quantum wrote:Hi Joe,

I think aircraft values should be allocated to the finances of the lessor and not the lessee at all times. I also think the multiplier could go lower, maybe 20x above a value of 10 billion?

Regards

John
I am in agreement with you, lets say I wanted to increase my multiplier back to as much as 1000X as it stands now, all I would have to do is purchase as many planes as my money would allow and lease them all out (even cheap leases). I would still own the aircraft (at the end of the lease) but they would not count against me as far as changing my multiplier. So I tend to agree with Quantum on this point.

And as far as the multiplier going to 20X, that’s cool as well

My 2 cents from the circus tent.
ImageImage

Stan
Chief Pilot

Post by Stan » Fri May 23, 2008 1:38 am

I lease a few aircraft out and wouldn,t be bothered if thier value was used to lower my multiplier and i also agree to lowering the multiplier to 20x for the wealthiest amongst us.Just so long as newbies are not disadvantaged. :lol:
I also think that TC should stay because the number of long haul flights would be dramatically reduced without it.
Yours Stan